Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2021, 12:10 PM   #21
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Very helpful thread. I guess most of my led strip blew off on the way back from Florida. Didn't notice it until today as the last 6 inches of it was hanging down. I thought it was a stick stuck to my cap.
What a pita. I don't really care that much about the led strip but am getting ready to sell and go to a diesel pusher so I have to make sure everything is working.

Started to post a thread about it and thought well I'll do a search first, search actually worked for me this time.

Old 07-10-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
This led thing has turned into a nightmare.

The lights from superbrightleds.com are wider and don't really fit in the channel so I went to trekwood.com and tried to order the originals. That was Wednesday. They have to give me a shipping quote and said they'd email it to me with a link to complete my order. For something that would fit in an envelope. The roll of superbrightleds came in an envelope to my mailbox with free shipping.
I have yet to receive this shipping quote. Trekwood is useless.

So I decided to go ahead and use the aftermarket leds. Cleaned the caulk off and gave the wire a small pull, it was rotten and broke and fell down in the cap.

So I pulled part of my closet wall paneling lose to run my arm down in there and not finding it. I ordered a borescope with a hook to see if I can fish it out that way so I'm at a standstill until that gets here tomorrow.
They could have taped the wire to the clearance light wire or attached it to the aluminum framing member, but hell no. They make it where you have to remove the front cap to get to a cheap string of leds.
If I never find the wire I guess I'll wire it in with the clearance light and it will only come on when it's plugged in to the truck.

I'll be seriously happy to get this light string fixed and get this thing sold and out of my driveway.
Old 05-10-2023, 12:22 PM   #23
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Front cap LEDs

Finally getting to this project. Love the search function and info posted in this forum.
We are in a 2017 3820FK. The lower 2 light strips on our front cap have multiple LEDs out. Can I use the 5M roll referenced in posts 15 & 17 above to replace both my strips? I see the factory end on the roll has leads to connect (solder?) to our rigs wires. I cut a piece from the roll to the length I need it. How have folks terminated the cut end? A gob of silicone? What about the 2nd strip I need to repair? How do I get the wire I need from the strip I just cut? In my mind I have flush cut without any exposed wires. I don't have any of the FB stuff so I can't see the post referenced above. Thanks Joe
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 12:52 PM   #24
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlockers View Post
Finally getting to this project. Love the search function and info posted in this forum.
We are in a 2017 3820FK. The lower 2 light strips on our front cap have multiple LEDs out. Can I use the 5M roll referenced in posts 15 & 17 above to replace both my strips? I see the factory end on the roll has leads to connect (solder?) to our rigs wires. I cut a piece from the roll to the length I need it. How have folks terminated the cut end? A gob of silicone? What about the 2nd strip I need to repair? How do I get the wire I need from the strip I just cut? In my mind I have flush cut without any exposed wires. I don't have any of the FB stuff so I can't see the post referenced above. Thanks Joe
You should find a light strip that has wire leads. Here's an example but you'll need to know the length and color. Below is a link to the repair process.

https://www.etrailer.com/LED-Strip-L.../ALP77426.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=keys...id:fDceZU-vKB0
Old 05-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #25
FloridaFlockers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20649
Foldbak, thanks for the feedback and links. Very helpful, just ordered 2 strips. Thanks Joe
FloridaFlockers is offline   Reply With Quote