Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2023, 10:24 AM   #1
Muzzbgreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #32596

Good morning
I know it’s not the best way to start off but I have some questions on a potential purchase of a 2019 3855BR , my question is value based since trying to locate other answers and concerns are readily available.
So what are you thoughts on the real value of one of these units, I went to nada and see a range of 64,000 to 74,000, this unit is clean everything works properly
It’s pretty much been sitting stationary for a few years and lived in occasionally.
I’m looking at moving in full time after living on my 43 ft boat for the last 11 years.
That’s it for now hope to hear back from the club!

Muzzbgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:46 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Scott,

Welcome to the forum! This is a decent time to buy a used RV as many bought them during Covid and decided they didn't actually like the lifestyle.

Your price range seems on the high side. If it a good unit and the floorpan you like go for it.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 10:54 AM   #3
Muzzbgreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #32596
Thank you
Valid point about Covid and people not liking the lifestyle. Back in 2000 I traveled the country in my Diesel pusher in my opinion the best part about the adventure was driving, lots of sketchy campgrounds and some where so expensive.
Old 04-16-2023, 03:01 PM   #4
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you are earnest about this one, maybe hire an inspector to give it a once over. Look online for comparable (price).
If you decide on this one, inspect the brakes, repack the bearings and check the date code (more than 5 yo, replace the tires) on the tires before taking it on the road, just to be safe.
Good luck
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #5
Jay & Bobbie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32306
Over here on the east coast (NC) that price range for that year model would be high. Definitely get an inspection and ask the seller for docs on all upgrades, repairs, and mods. Buying pre-owned can save a lot of dough, just do your due diligence.
Jay & Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 06:55 PM   #6
Muzzbgreen
Established Member

M.O.C. #32596
Thank you everyone for your replies. I looked at it today and was surprised to see that the seller had pulled the sofa and side by side chairs and took the desk and sofa in the bonus room.
Old 04-17-2023, 06:13 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If the current owner has a loan on the camper, he is attempting to sell it at a higher value than it is actually worth. He's upside down on his loan. That means he owes more on the camper than it's currently worth.

Before making any offer, do your homework on prices. Search the internet and see what dealerships all across the country are listing their listed price for. Find the average and then offer the seller $10,000 less and see if they will nibble, (unless they are already starting out with a reasonable price.)

About that furniture? Most RV furniture is cheaply made and uncomfortablre anyway. We've had 2 different Keystone trailers now that had stand alone kitchen tables and chairs. In both trailers, the original kitchen chairs broke within the first 6 months of use and the remaining 3 were all replaced with something else.

Most Keystone RV's are installed with Thomas Payne furniture. Although it's designed for RV's, there are far, far too many posts about this furniture failing, fading, tearing, parts going bad, the electronics needed replaced after a couple years of use. I've been pretty happy with the Thomas Payne furniture in my current Montana, but I did have to replace one of the actuators on the love seat. That's the motor and arm that make it recline and the foot rest come out. That happened in the 2nd year of ownership.

So, in a way, having the furniture removed is a bitter-sweet advantage. It will save you the aggravation of having failed furniture, but it's not "original", so that is a determent to the camper.

Personally, if you are still interested in this camper, and you feel you can replace the furniture with something more suitable, then use that as a very strong negotiation point to knock off another 4 or 5 thousand and see where that may lead.

Just don't fall in love with this unit so much all you can is is think to yourself, if I don't get this one, I may not find another one out there, so better get the bird in hand, because who knows about the bird in the bush? If that is your mind set, be prepared to walk if the price does not line up with your researched prices.

In the end, it is your choice, your money, and you will have to live with your purchase. So, from the very, very beginning, that very first thing ALL of us have to accept and be happy and content with, is the purchase price of our RV's. If any of use feel we got the raw end of the deal, from the get-go, we are not happy with our campers, and from the get-go, we (and you) will never have an enjoyable experience with it. It's a mind set from the very, very beginning, and it all starts with the purchase price. Settle that in your mind, be content with it, and you'll be off to a wonderful start. If you have doubts, questions, or second guesses, you'll never really enjoy the camper. It will forever be bugging you, until the day you sell it yourself.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote