Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2023, 03:12 PM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Cleaning the Bottom of the Awning - What To Use?

Slightly off topic but what is everyone using to clean the bottom of the awnings? I tried simple green and got about 90% of the stains off. Any other way to remove or prevent the stains?

Sorry to hijack your thread Lee

Old 05-08-2023, 03:26 PM   #2
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Awning cleaning anyone?

Actually got a chuckle from your post Tony. I got about 90% of the stains off the underside of our smaller awning just yesterday and was wondering the very same thing. Wore out before getting to the large awning. I had used a stronger than normal solution of Dawn soap and warm water. After rinsing, I soaped it up again and rolled the awning up to let it soak for about a half hour, then had another go at it. Hence the got worn out part. Still not happy with the results. Spent the remainder of the day doing a waterless wash and wax. Still not completely done with that project either, but almost.
Maybe one of the mods would be so kind as move our last two posts to a new thread.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:56 PM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Thanks Carl
Old 05-08-2023, 08:38 PM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have wondered this too - including how to clean it?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 08:49 PM   #5
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I just use the Camco RV Awning cleaner, mix a strong solution of it and use a garden sprayer to coat the entire awning, then roll up the awning still wet. Maybe 30 minutes later, unroll the awning and use a car wash brush on an extending pole to lightly scrub it and then rinse.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 04:18 AM   #6
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I had a lot of mildew stains that even bleach/water would not take off. Found this Marine 31 stuff and it is amazing. It smells like concentrated bleach, but is far better than using bleach. It did an amazing job on my bass boat seats too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just sprayed it on the awning and rolled it up. Waited about 30 minutes unrolled it and sprayed it with the water hose. No scrubbing and it looks white as when it was new.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 06:27 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
This question has been asked many, many times on almost every RV / camping forum on the internet and the answers have always been all over the charts.

The one thing that DOES work and works very well, and the one thing that works well and surprises everyone who has tried it, is the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. (the original, not the sheets or some other kind of knock off).

I use nothing but the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and never had any issues. BUT here are the rule I've learned:

1) There is no easy way to do this. You will be reaching above your head, but the end results is well worth your extra work. If your awning is tall, you'll no doubt need a ladder.

2) Clean only small sections at a time. Don't attempt to wash the whole thing from end to end in one swoop. Work in areas about 1 1/2 to 2 square feet at a time.

3) It's very important the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser stay wet. Actually, the more wet, the better. So, when using it, don't squish out the water like a sponge. Leave the water dripping in the Eraser. (Yes, it WILL drip down your arms. Being a "guy" I almost always do this with no shirt on).

4) NEVER, NEVER, NEVER "scrub" with the eraser. Simply "wipe" it. All you are attempting to do is make the awning wet with the chemicals in the Eraser.

5) After making your 2 foot square area wet, WIPE it a second time, nice and wet, and watch the stains, the black streaks, mold and mildew and even squished bugs melt off.

6) With that 2 foot square wet, follow up now with a dry towel. I use a terry bathroom towel and dry it. When you do this, it will wipe off all that black stuff.

7) Stand back and be pleasantly surprised at how clean that area is.

8) Now, move your ladder and do a second 2 foot square area, and continue moving over the entire awning until you completed it all.

9) Don't get in a hurry, and don't expect this to be easy. It is work, your arms get tired, you will get wet, and you probably will need to use a ladder on a tall awning.

10) Once the awning is completely done, spray it down with a garden hose with fresh water. This will remove the excess chemical from the Eraser.

11) What you can expect? You will not have to touch your awning again for at least a year. It will not turn black again for a long, long time.

12) When camping and you extend your awning, especially in the Summer months, it's not uncommon for bugs to get caught when you roll up the awning. These can be unsightly when you unroll your awning the next time. If (and when) that happens, or (IF) you see water spots turning black, or even surface dirt from rain wicking into the awning, take the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and simply touch up those spots or bugs. Again, just WIPE the small area and follow up with a dry towel. Your awning will look marvelous all Summer long.

I cannot emphasize enough that you do not SCRUB the awning with the Eraser. ONLY wipe softly, or just enough pressure to make it wet. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can be very abrasive if used like scrubbing the bottom of a bathtub or a kitchen pot or pan and you can quickly rub a hole into the awning fabric. (I know, I've done that, and learned the hard way).

But I promise you, this works and works very, very, very well, if you don't mind doing just a little bit of work.

I ended up getting the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser mop. It comes with a longer handle and the sponge on the end is the same size as a normal sponge mop. I purchased an entire case of extra sponges, but eventually found it much easer (for me) to do it by hand that attempting to hold the mop above my head. I now use those extra sponges for the mop by hand on the awning. They are bigger than the store bought out of the box and wipe a larger area. They work great for this applicaiton.

Again.... WIPE.... never scrub the awning with these. Never.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 07:01 AM   #8
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Dutchman thanks for the detailed writeup. I'm never against trying something new, nor bashful about manual labor. I'll definite have to give this a try. My Dawn soap and long handle soft scrub brush just hasn't been getting satisfactory results.

Edit: if you don't mind where did you procure the mop size pads by the case? Also have been using the regular or extra strength pads? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-09-2023, 11:14 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post

Edit: if you don't mind where did you procure the mop size pads by the case? Also have been using the regular or extra strength pads? Thanks in advance!
They came from Amazon. I think ours was a box of 6. We purchased it some 4 years ago (they last a long time). I checked Amazon now and .... wow! Prices have increased on these.

I looked at several options and this appears to be the best price, but it's only for 2 of them. Click here and the price isn't so terrible. If you have the grocery store in a box for the kitchen sink version (which we have a LOT of these too), you might try a small area of your awning first and see what you think before purchasing the mop heads. If you are not satisfied, then you aren't out any money. (Just trying to be practical here).

Personally, I like the flat ones more than the rounded cone shaped ones designed for their other style of mop in the link above. The flat surface touches more at one time.

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2023, 11:46 AM   #10
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Appreciate the additional info Dutchman. Will check them out. Probably pick up a box of kitchen size at WM to start with. Pretty sure DW will use then as well - just not on the awnings! Thanks again
Old 05-10-2023, 07:17 AM   #11
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I've had great results using the Thetford Premium RV Awning Cleaner. It comes in a spray bottle and can be bought at most RV supply shops or dealerships. Just spray on, use a soft bristled brush to agitate, and hose off.

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Awnin...30363640&psc=1
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 07:21 AM   #12
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Awning cleaning
Dometic 9100. The fabric is double coated vinyl.
"LAs Totally Awesome" cleaner + Mr. Clean Magic eraser mop.
Spray on the Totaly Awesome cleaner fully concentrated. Do not dilute it.
Roll up the awning for 20 minutes.
Unroll it and scrub with magic eraser mop. Do top and bottom of awning.
Rinse thoroughly.
This Works!!! They look better now than when we bought our rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning cleaning.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	14539  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2023, 08:20 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Awning cleaning
Dometic 9100. The fabric is double coated vinyl.
"LAs Totally Awesome" cleaner + Mr. Clean Magic eraser mop.
Spray on the Totaly Awesome cleaner fully concentrated. Do not dilute it.
Roll up the awning for 20 minutes.
Unroll it and scrub with magic eraser mop. Do top and bottom of awning.
Rinse thoroughly.
This Works!!! They look better now than when we bought our rig.
I assume you have to wear old cloths, long sleeves and eye protection?
Old 05-10-2023, 03:56 PM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I assume you have to wear old cloths, long sleeves and eye protection?
You bet.
I don't know what this stuff is but I don't want it dripping on me
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 02:16 PM   #15
DiveMaster

M.O.C. #17660
WEt & Forget

One thing I am trying with our new camper is to try and prevent the mold streaks to begin with. So I am trying Wet & Forget sprayed on then let dry then roll up the awning. I've had the camper 1.5 years now, and I've done the W&F 3 times now - every 6 months. No mold at all and it looks good as new. I have had to clean dirt and bugs off, but so far no mold. An once of prevention and all that. Good luck!
DiveMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:07 PM   #16
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
Marine 31

I always use laundry detergent with bleach and do the 1/2 hour roll up. It typically just rinses everything off. As far as the marine 31 products. Has anyone used their oxidation remover/wax all in one for the gel coat? I’ve tried the meguiar’s stuff and it didn’t do enough.
pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:22 PM   #17
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I’ve always used a strong solution of bleach and water. Spray on roll up for 30 months or longer. Then I might take a brush to it and rinse.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:30 PM   #18
RicknTee
Established Member

M.O.C. #28444
Rmr 86, you can get off amazon.com
RicknTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 04:52 PM   #19
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Slightly off topic but what is everyone using to clean the bottom of the awnings? I tried simple green and got about 90% of the stains off. Any other way to remove or prevent the stains?

Sorry to hijack your thread Lee
The problem with asking about cleaning solutions is that it is meaningless unless you are cleaning exactly the same 'dirt' from the same surface.

By the way, did you use Simple Green Concentrate and NOT dilute it? Use it straight from the bottle. If that doesn't work, the black stain remover is quite good for a certain kind of stain, like off the roof.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #20
KCTractors

M.O.C. #23557
I just use Awsome full strength from the Dollar Tree Store. Dollar and a quarter for a quart. Brush it on the whole awning, then go back where you started and brush it again. I put the whole bottle in a pail and brush it on. I wash the whole rv including the roof with it. Our RV is 12 years old and looks better than some five years old.
KCTractors is offline   Reply With Quote