Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2023, 06:41 AM   #1
Kenthomas4

M.O.C. #22838
No lights

2019 3120rl issue.
Battery reads 12.4v, jacks/slides and tank heaters work. No interior lights or power to awnings. Is there a battery kill switch somewhere or what am I missing? Thanks.

Kenthomas4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 09:08 AM   #2
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Yes, there is a battery shut off switch in your convenience center. However, if your slides and tank heaters work, it is on. I would start with the obvious and check the fuses.

None of your interior lights work? Exterior lights? Water pump? Do you have InCommand? Are you the original owner?

Welcome to the forum.

Thread moved to technical forum to solicit more responses.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:16 AM   #3
Kenthomas4

M.O.C. #22838
Not original owner. Which switch is in the convenience system? Is it the black on/off switch? Yep, next steps is to check the inline fuses.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:32 AM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Check the circuit breakers on the back wall of your front battery compartment. There should be 2, one for the had pump and one for most everything else. Use a voltmeter to test.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 11:22 AM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Are you plugged into shore power? If yes, then the voltage at the battery should be in the area of 13.5V not 12.4V.

The battery disconnect switch in the convenience center is a big red key. If you can remove the key, the batteries are disconnected.

The slides/jacks/hydraulic pump are wired direct from the battery and not affected by the disconnect Switch. The tank heaters are an unknown to me. I would think they are fed off the fuse panel but maybe not?

This sounds like the typical 12V not flowing problem other than the tank heaters. Never the less, here is some diagnostic info from a previous post that may help.

============================
Here is some info from a previous discussion of a similar problem.

The 12V flow from the converter to the batteries is pretty straight forward. As others have pointed out, here are the places to look. All connections should have 13.5 +/- Volts if the converter is working.
  • The converter is part of the power distribution panel -Ensure the CB for it is On
  • There are Reverse Polarity Fuses on the converter which protect against connecting a battery backwards. - Ensure they are not blown.
  • Check the output voltage at the converter. - it should be in the 13.5V DC range.
  • The power then runs to the Disconnect Switch in the Convenience Center. - Ensure the Red Key is in the position where it can *NOT* be removed. If removed, this interrupts the power charging the battery. The Disconnect Switch is not know to fail, but you can remove it to check there is power in and out of it just to be sure.
  • The power next flows to the group of 50 amp self-resetting CBs behind the battery. We all know about the one that hiccups and interrupts the hydraulic system. That one also passes power to/from the converter and batteries. You want to check it and it's brother (it is in the current flow to the battery) to ensure there is 13.5V on *EACH* side of the CB.
  • The last connection is the one from the 50 amp CBs to the batteries. Ensure you have clean connections and the cables are not corroded (watch out for internal corrosion under the shrink wrap).
Somewhere along this path there will be the problem. A simple VOM should find it. I hope this helps.

The full blown discussion is *Here* The most common causes are :
o - the Battery Disconnect Switch in the convenience center is in the wrong position (the Red Key should be in the position where it can't be removed)
o - The red plastic covered self resetting 50amp circuit breakers behind the battery have failed.
==================================

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 01:44 PM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The slides/jacks/hydraulic pump are wired direct from the battery and not affected by the disconnect Switch.
Thanks Carl. I didn't know or I forgot. Learn something new everyday.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:21 PM   #7
Kenthomas4

M.O.C. #22838
Thanks for the info. I looked for the disconnect switch and couldn’t find it. I looked in the lower forward bay and the battery bay. Any help locating it would be helpful.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:52 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Give me a few; I'll go take a picture.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:07 PM   #9
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
This is the convenience center, the switch with the red "key" is on the back wall. Mine is shown in the on position. Like Carl said, if the "key" (red part) is vertical and can be removed, the switch is in the off position. Perhaps this is your problem; the switch was turned off and the key was removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery disconnect switch.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	496.5 KB
ID:	14553  

Tags
lights not working, power