Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2023, 06:08 PM   #1
JayT_B
Established Member

M.O.C. #31291
Is it just me………

I did a quick search and did not see anything. I have noticed that in the winter, heat on, etc., when i open the kitchen cabinet doors, and usually any door/drawer, especially on the outer walls, it is cold behind behind those doors/drawers. In the summer, it is the opposite. Hot in those same areas. The question is, does it behoove one to keep the doors/drawers open as the real insulation is in the walls of our Montanas? Not having the doors/drawers open, we are allowing the outside heat or cold to enter our rigs. Then I think about what is behind the TV/Stereo entertainment center? A large open space that is more than like pretty warm/cold as no circulated Heat and/or A/C gets behind that area. I am guessing, the majority of Montana owners leave all doors/drawers closed. Am I over thinking all of this?

-Jace

-Yamaha EF3000iSEB Generator
JayT_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:27 PM   #2
M&M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27628
I have added a layer of reflectix insulation to a few of those hidden spaces.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:29 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You can only have so much insulation in a 2" thick wall, so if that area is isolated to the main living area by say a cabinet, it's going to run closer to outside temps. Don't fret it as we all experience the same to a given degree. In winter however, if your sinks are next to an outside wall and not in an island ... you might open the cabinet doors on a really cold night to help stave off frozen water lines.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 08:01 PM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
It's not necessarily just about insulation. If those cabinets have plumbing so that there are holes in the floor that access the underbelly then the cold or hot outdoor air syphons into the coach. I've worked at sealing all of those openings in the floor, including behind the wall in the under-storage up front. We were getting WAY too much hot air blowing into the coach, making it much more difficult to cool down on hot days. Sealing all holes helped a bunch.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote