Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2022, 09:59 AM   #1
DCB
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22743
Willing to help with rear view camera wiring?

Anybody out there with time on your hands to help walk me through rear view camera wiring? I’m replacing a Furrion, and have a Furrion adapter wire for the new camera, so it seems like it should “just” be a matter of plug in, mount, and pair to the monitor. However, my first attempt failed. Probably need a tester to make sure there’s not a problem with the wiring at the mount location. Might be able to borrow one from my neighbor.

I could do FaceTime with someone who has the expertise. Send a private message if interested and have time.

I’m located near Weatherford, TX.

DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 03:41 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
You have a 2018 model so it should be similar to mine.
First - the camera only works when you turn on your truck headlights, so if you are in a RV park right now - back your truck up close enough to plug in your pigtail...then you can turn on the headlights to test the camera.

I replaced my Furrion camera and monitor with a VisionWorks system i bought from TechnoRV.com Go to their website and click on videos and scroll down close to the bottom to find the video in the screen shot below. This video is for a Visionworks system but the furrion is much the same. He shows you how to remove the old camera and what the wire plug looks like. The process will be the same. You need to find a tall ladder to reach your furrion...a 6’ ladder will not be safe. You need a 10’ or 12’ ladder. I would not attempt this by hanging off the roof ladder, and definitely not by laying down on the roof and trying to reach down. Niether of those will be safe.

I think this video will help more than you might expect...then come back with more questions.

Edit: i misread your post and thought you were installing a furrion camera. What brand is your new camera and monitor? That might help as someone here may have dealt with the same system. The video is informative for any system however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54001439-0295-4EBB-93B7-7FF656E14523.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	183.7 KB
ID:	11137  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Just curious why you are replacing the Furrion? If you couldn’t get it to work, did you have your headlights on? Originally, the camera’s were mounted with constant power, hence a constant battery drain. So, they switched them to work when the headlights are activated. Just checking whether you had the lights on when you tested.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:44 AM   #4
Rider
Established Member

M.O.C. #30237
Why wouldn't it be wired to be on when engine's running?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #5
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Rider, the only signal between the truck and the Furion system is the 7 pin connector. That goes to your lights and battery. You can rewire to always on, but you will burn out your camera.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Another thing, if you swapped tow vehicles, I understand from these forums that the newer trucks don't sent the right (or the needed) DC power like the older trucks did. There's been lots of discussions on these forums about this problem.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote