Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #41
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I was born in 1953 in Roswell NM. Yes, I have heard most/all of the alien jokes….
Father owned a sporting goods store in downtown. Hunting fishing and archery goods. Dad taught me his work ethic and how to think, figure things out and how to work with my hands. The bank president would bring his sack lunch and eat lunch with my Dad most days. Everyone knew everyone and other parents were not afraid to swat your bottom if you messed up and your parents knew about it before you could get home. Not enough kids growing up in that atmosphere anymore.

Grew up in a northwest Texas town with a thriving population of 1640 people. If any of us kids got out of line, any grownup could bust our butts. Same person would also make a phone call to home and we would have another butt busting waiting for us when we got back home from our "infraction". Most learned to walk the straight and narrow path of life. Others seemed to have learned how to become really sneaky.....

Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:42 PM   #42
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post

Grew up in a northwest Texas town with a thriving population of 1640 people. If any of us kids got out of line, any grownup could bust our butts. Same person would also make a phone call to home and we would have another butt busting waiting for us when we got back home from our "infraction". Most learned to walk the straight and narrow path of life. Others seemed to have learned how to become really sneaky.....

Reminds me of a friend. They had 3 boys and 3 boys are going to get in stuff. So when they did when he got home his wife would tell him what had happened. During dinner he would tell the boys he knew what they had done but deciding which one wonted to get their whipping first. But enjoy dinner. I’m sure they really enjoyed dinner.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:46 PM   #43
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Reminds me of a friend. They had 3 boys and 3 boys are going to get in stuff. So when they did when he got home his wife would tell him what had happened. During dinner he would tell the boys he knew what they had done but deciding which one wonted to get their whipping first. But enjoy dinner. I’m sure they really enjoyed dinner.
Lynwood
And now he would likely be reported, and probably arrested, for child abuse. Lack of discipline at home and discipline forbidden at school has not been a good thing for the children. And I don’t mean discipline to the level of actual abuse. A little paddling on the butt never hurt anyone. The result of lack of discipline has been lack of respect for others, lack of respect for authority, and lack of respect for themselves, and a lack of pride in themselves.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 08:49 PM   #44
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
2 doors up from us lived the HS principal. He walked to work and had to pass our house. He had no problem stopping on the way home and informing my mother of what I did or what he SUSPECTED I did.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 06:23 AM   #45
Andy Smith
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25951
wow

As much as I enjoy reading the anecdotes about growing up in the 50s, 60s, 40s, I really feel like some of the attitudes that some of the respondents on this thread are projecting on the "younger" generation are unfounded. It's impossible to know what a whole generation of people is thinking (and it's likely impossible to lump a whole "generation" of people into one group anyway, and does a disservice). What do you mean by younger people? Just because they do things differently, have different skills, life goals, milestones for success, can you put yourself in their shoes and see how growing up in a wildly different world may shape their lives differently than yours? Because without asking why/how they learned or didn't learn something, and approached it differently than you, you're assuming inferiority of integrity, ethics, etc. It comes off with really bad optics. The world is always changing. People adapt to their environment. Generalizations about a whole demographic are problematic because they're based not on any kind of wide field sample, but personal anecdotal experiences, which many have said both range from good to bad. I'm sure this won't go over well, but creating generational divides in a community by denigrating a population does not look good.
Old 05-20-2022, 08:21 AM   #46
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Smith View Post
............ The world is always changing. People adapt to their environment. Generalizations about a whole demographic are problematic because they're based not on any kind of wide field sample, but personal anecdotal experiences, which many have said both range from good to bad. ...............
And those changes are often not for the better.

I can tell you that from over 35 years with my wife in the child care business, first beginning work in a child care center in the 70's to us owning and operating a large child care center for over 30 years that we sold in 2017, the changes in discipline, respect, manners, and overall personality of both the children and their parents changed significantly over those years. Certainly not all of them, but a much greater percentage than the early years. There were few problems with disruptive children at first. And after speaking with the parent(s) about it, the parents would address those problems at home and the child would generally be much better afterward. But the number grew over the years. In the later years when the parent was confronted with issues about behavior of their children it would be more likely the parent trying to pass the blame on the teacher, other children, or whatever other reason they could come up with. Their child would not do that. On rare occasion the parent might admit they had those problems at home but they did not know how to handle it.

My wife has an amazing ability to calm a disruptive child and get them to perform much better in the classroom environment. Even though she was the owner/director, she spent a large part of her time in the classrooms working directly with children, knowing all their names, and often playing games with them. When a child had some issue, there was no scolding, no raised voice, certainly no physical discipline. Just has a way of speaking to a child in a loving manner, and explaining why they can't behave in such a way, and that loving way would make the child want to please her. But in the later years even that became more difficult. She would do everything possible to avoid having to ask a parent to take their child out of the center. And it only happened 2-3 times over all those years, breaking her heart each time not knowing what would happen to that child.

Pure speculation, but I would guess that a poll of public school teachers who taught over that same era would reveal similar feelings. I know there have been teachers who have quit or retired for that reason.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:19 AM   #47
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My grandsons are 19 and are good kids going to college from home while working. Their parents did a good job. Sadly, most parents today don’t do a very good job. How many grow up in a single working parent home with no father figure and no role models? You questioned our attitude, not attitude but experience. Add schools have gone down hill, ask my wife a retired teacher with 27 years. There are no excuses the way many kids are today but many reasons, much starts or used to start at home. No way to justify most are not prepared for real life, some never will be. Trans? Some don’t even know which bathroom to use. Teaching k-3 about sex and having them figure what gender they will be? Drugs? Responsibility? Certainly not all kids are not on a good path to adulthood but many are not. Time on social media instead of learning. Sorry but much today is not good and not progress.
Old 05-20-2022, 10:37 AM   #48
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The problem with bad behavior is that it is contagious if not corrected. Especially if it appears there are no repercussions. And sometimes even if there are.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:25 PM   #49
Dusters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19305
The encyclopedia of fixing things rests with the YouTube folks to produce videos on how to repair our trailers, brake replacements and install modifications.

I have become inept at reading technical manuals, which used to require a high level reading skills to program avionics equipment. In the 1980s, I zipped through my retraining electronic courses for my fundamentals. The program was based on 60's technology. As I moved onto my new job location, the equipment was being upgraded to new and improved swap- tronics. Each piece of new equipment required a new certification course of instructions. Due to my age mindset of approaching 40, my skills didn't advance as well as I would have liked to keep up.

The bottom line is my father in late 60's, couldn't make the VCR remotes work for him and relied on his kids. Today, I have my kids and grandkids to help us figure out our electronics, because of their unique skill sets to thrive in the current world.
Old 05-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #50
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Not to put down teachers, but my wife was a speech therapist for 35 years. She admits that teachers don't put in the hours now like they used to just 10 years ago. Also, in the 1950s or 60s women really had little choice in jobs. Either a nurse or a teacher. So the better women were entering the teaching profession. Now they become doctors, lawyers etc and those left become teachers. Seems bad to say it this way, but makes sense to me.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 12:57 PM   #51
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Agree to a large extent. My wife retired in 2006. After work she came home had dinner and more hours correcting papers and more. She said at the end it was less teaching and more babysitting. She also said some of the parents were less mature than her students. Today teachers want to come home and drink dinner I think
Old 05-21-2022, 09:38 AM   #52
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
This discussion has gone on across many generations with much the same thoughts on the younger folks and how the world is going downhill.

I very much doubt ,my parents or grandparents had the same thoughts about the younger generation than what I do today , being born in the 40's .

IMO growing up in the 50's ,and 60's is something that I wish all kids could of experienced , it was simple, uncomplicated ,and certainly no worries about getting shot by another classmate . Sure there were the bullies ,but apparently nothing like it is today. In all of my school years , there was never a suicide that I recall . Recently we had a local 10 year old commit suicide . It's a common occurrence with the young nowadays , that is not progress nor a better world than the 50's ,and 60's that I grew up in .

I agree totally with the OP I do not envy the younger generation ,and the world they are going to face in the coming years . History has proven what happens to all great society's, they self destruct . I am sure they never listened either to what was happening.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:10 PM   #53
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
There were suicides. I don’t think they were talked about like today. When I was in the ninth grade a friend jumped off a water tower. I don’t remember a teacher or anyone even mentioned it. We just went to school like it never happened.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 04:32 PM   #54
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
There were suicides. I don’t think they were talked about like today. When I was in the ninth grade a friend jumped off a water tower. I don’t remember a teacher or anyone even mentioned it. We just went to school like it never happened.
Lynwood
There were no doubt , I was raised in a small town of less than a 1000, if there were is was rare , and as you say never mentioned. Let’s put it this way I never remember a classmate come up missing . I do have to believe it’s a lot more common now .

When I was young more times than not the bullies got taken care of , I know I was one that stepped in , nowadays the cell phones come out , and gets recorded for YouTube or whatever .
Old 05-21-2022, 05:12 PM   #55
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
There were no doubt , I was raised in a small town of less than a 1000, if there were is was rare , and as you say never mentioned. Let’s put it this way I never remember a classmate come up missing . I do have to believe it’s a lot more common now .

When I was young more times than not the bullies got taken care of , I know I was one that stepped in , nowadays the cell phones come out , and gets recorded for YouTube or whatever .
'more common now' ~~ drugs, social media, little social interaction. I too was raised in a small town and never heard of such a thing. We looked forward to being outside, working to save for a car, camping in the woods~~ not angels but none of what goes on today and from the time we had pockets there was a knife in it and had a gun before age 12. Never considered hurting anyone with more than a punch in the nose.
Old 05-22-2022, 10:47 AM   #56
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
I wish I was born today!

My kid and the ones she spends time will are stellar young adults, they are all headed to post high school educational programs (both trade and college bound) chasing a boat load of forwardly mobile careers.

Sign me up for modern goodness like fuel injection, variable valve timing, electric vehicles, internet and all the wins of modern medicine.

I love having an awesome career that lets me travel the world and work at the same time (I could retire today if I didn't love what I do, I'm not 50). None of that was possible in 1950.

If I could I'd be born again today.
Explain what was not possible in 1950. The only advantage we have nowadays is the advanced healthcare . Sure the advanced technology has made life easier in many ways . But the way I see it the American people are the worst out of shape people on the planet , because of our way of life .

Explain to me what way of life today beats the way of life in the 50’s or 60’s . I’ve seen both, and can debate any point you have . Would love to hear it .
Old 05-22-2022, 11:27 AM   #57
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
What's better today:

-Better access to information
-Faster, more comfortable and safer transportation on highways and in the air
-Lower cost of goods due to internet, strong international markets and better economy
-Things that work better and last longer
-Cleaner environment
-Better hunting and fishing due to better management from wildlife agencies
-Less overt and legalized racism
-Higher standard of living
-Higher percentage of folks own their home
-Better healthcare
-Integration of NFL and AFL
-Designated hitter
-24 hour color TV with hundreds of channels
-DVDs
-FM radio
-Cell phones
-Apple watch that keeps my biometrics, can make a phone call on and send and receive email and texts
-GPS to track my dogs and find my way driving and flying
-Microwave to warm up my leftovers
-Air conditioning to make more areas comfortable to live
-More support for 2nd amendment with more places supporting concealed and open carry
-More choice in goods, music, entertainment, sports and foods from different parts of the world

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:58 AM   #58
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
What's better today:

-Lower cost of goods due to internet, strong international markets and better economy
-Cleaner environment
-Better healthcare
-Designated hitter
-DVDs
-FM radio
-Cell phones
-Apple watch that keeps my biometrics, can make a phone call on and send and receive email and texts
-More support for 2nd amendment with more places supporting concealed and open carry
-More choice in goods, music, entertainment, sports and foods from different parts of the world

And what year were you born .
Old 05-22-2022, 12:04 PM   #59
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
What's better today:

-Cleaner environment
-Better healthcare
-Designated hitter
-DVDs
-FM radio
-Cell phones

And all that makes way of life better , I don't think so. Healthcare as said is IMO the only thing that improves our lives today. I grew up in the 50's ,and 60's , and if you did ,you must of missed something .
Old 05-22-2022, 12:34 PM   #60
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I was born in 51 and have been happily unemployed for the last 6 years after 27 years in the Navy and 13 with industry. My greatest passion is chasing birds with my pups and it is better than it has ever been.

I agree there are things we have lost but we have gained so much more. We also have the option to take advantage of the new technology and ways of life or leaving them. You have to make the choices that best fit you.

The issues I have seen with both my kids and some of my older friends is an unwillingness to be flexible. If the jobs, opportunity or lifestyle is changing in your area and you don't like it - move to somewhere different. We certainly need to be more mobile today. Many younger folks will need to changes jobs and often professions multiple times in their life to be successful. They have to be willing to accept some risk. Most important is making the right choices which is harder today because there are so many more available.

For the older folks remember the line from Shawshank Redemption - "Get busy living or get busy dying." You need to stay in touch and understand technology change or you will get run over.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote