Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 09:01 AM   #21
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Is there a tire brand that has no history of failures?

No! I And until there is a major rash of Sailun RV tires fail, wont consider them a bad product. Yes, there are a few but is it an epidemic kind ofc problem

2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 07-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #22
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Just my 2 cents but I will weigh in on this issue between 12 ply Rainiers and 14 ply G-rated Sailuns. I for one have had a tire blowout and changed to the spare on the side of the road. Trust me.....that's no fun!!!

When we purchased our 2019 Montana High Country, I drove it less than 1000 miles before removing the factory 12 ply Rainiers and switched to 14 ply Sailuns. My reason is simple...if you take off a 12 ply Rainier and pick it up in one hand and the pick up a 14 ply G rated tire of the same rim size, you will be able to see and feel a definite difference between the two. The 14 ply tire is noticeably heavier.

If you compare the thickness of the side wall and the stiffness of the sidewall, the 14 ply is noticeably thicker and heavier.

If you compare the thickness and stiffness of the outer tread, the 14 ply is noticeably thicker and heavier.

I for one am not sold on Sailuns...I am simply sold on 14 ply G rated tires for our 38 foot long camper. I believe the additional weight, thickness and stiffness of the 14 ply is superior and I feel better towing with them.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:02 PM   #23
AnArky
Established Member

M.O.C. #28708
Quote:
Originally Posted by prndl View Post
That is an awful lot of wear for only 400-500 miles. My Sailuns don't look at all like that and I have 20K miles on them now. Something is out of wack for that tire, alignment/pressure/wheel bearings?
The photo may look like wear but it was a new tire and coming apart. All 4 tires were wearing even and normal. This was a tire on the verge of coming apart.

The replacement Synergy brand tire I got on the road of the same type and size has about 1,000 miles so far. It is doing just fine. No signs of uneven wear anywhere.
Old 08-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #24
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnArky View Post
The photo may look like wear but it was a new tire and coming apart. All 4 tires were wearing even and normal. This was a tire on the verge of coming apart.

The replacement Synergy brand tire I got on the road of the same type and size has about 1,000 miles so far. It is doing just fine. No signs of uneven wear anywhere.
I’m sorry I should explain I was referring to the outside edge of the tires. That edge is really worn down for only 500 miles. That type of wear is from low pressure, not my opinion, but from tire manufacturer information.
Old 08-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #25
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
If I'm not mistaken, it's not worn, but actually missing part of the outside edge, like separated and gone.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #26
AnArky
Established Member

M.O.C. #28708
It looks that way on the sides because the center was just about ready to depart like in the other thread. The whole center tread was beginning to separate from the tire. It makes the photo appear like the sides have worn.

Cold tire pressure early in the morning was checked and adjusted to 108 psi for all tires. I actually use 2 quality tire pressure gauges to cross check. It was the TPMS that alerted me to pull over before it totally separated. I also check hub and tire temps with one of those handheld infrared instruments at stops.

The replacement tire is showing no wear issues. The failed Sailun tire was showing no uneven wear issues prior.
Old 12-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #27
bubbapk1

M.O.C. #25941
Recall

I assume you have seen that your tire code 4120 is on the recall list that just came out?
Old 12-12-2021, 08:51 AM   #28
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Sailun's are nothing compared to Goodyear, as for as those being on the road. Goodyear tires I run are American made, not made by communist China. Tires are a personal choice, buy what ever you think is best for you.

We were out of RVing for two years sold every or gave it away. I had never heard of a Sailun tire until April 2021 when we bought the 2021 Montana 3762BP. Don't know how long they have been on RV's? I replaced them after I read about so many failures. So went with Goodyear, tires I have had on all my 5th wheels

Happy trails.
Old 12-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #29
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
Sailun's are nothing compared to Goodyear, as for as those being on the road. Goodyear tires I run are American made, not made by communist China. Tires are a personal choice, buy what ever you think is best for you.

We were out of RVing for two years sold every or gave it away. I had never heard of a Sailun tire until April 2021 when we bought the 2021 Montana 3762BP. Don't know how long they have been on RV's? I replaced them after I read about so many failures. So went with Goodyear, tires I have had on all my 5th wheels

Happy trails.
I wouldn’t have a problem with this post of yours , if you were not so persistent on bashing Saliun , when there are a good many of us on this forum that KNOW differently. You seem to want to just stir the pot . We all know how you feel about Saliun , yet you’ve never run a set .

I won’t go into the reputation of Goodyear again , anyone in the know , knows what they were ., and continue to be .
Closed Thread