Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #21
Jim Homer
Established Member

M.O.C. #22634
Anyone heard of these plans in Canada?

Jim Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 02:29 PM   #22
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
We have been using visible for a month now and it is working well. Will it work as well all across the country, who knows. Be aware that visible does not work off of 3g towers so if there is an area with no 4 g it just isn't going to work. My husband's tracphone cost $20/month and it came with almost no data. For $5 more, we get unlimited with no caps. Even if it works only part of the time, we come out ahead. The $25 group fee is a flat fee that comes with NO extra charges that take any other data plan through the roof. $25 is what they charge and what you pay. Verizon's unlimited plan is expensive and not unlimited. After 15 G, it slows down to an unusable level. We like to stream and found that a two hour movie uses 1.5 to 2 G of data. So we run out of data fast and that includes the phones hot spot usage to. We will keep our verizon acct. for now as a back-up. Watch those usage statistics from verizon too, they shorted our account 1.5 G last month. The support guy thought I couldn't add.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:53 PM   #23
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
Have used Visible for about a year for phone only service. Tested it for hotspot and worked as advertised. Occasionally get network busy try call later message when making calls.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 02:49 PM   #24
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron B View Post
I believe this is truly a YMMV (your mileage may vary) situation. One of our neighbors in our Rv park outside Georgetown Tx has had this service for about a year. When he first got it he was loudly singing their praises and tried to convince us to get on his group. With 4 devices it would have been $20 each. The service has been seriously degrading this last year......he is not as happy now with the slow service. Granted, we are in one of the nation’s fastest growing areas outside Austin Tx but I will pay a bit more to consistently have good service. We have Verizon which costs too much imho but worth the price for service pretty much anywhere we are.
I recently switched from Verizon to Spectrum for my work phone. Spectrum uses all of Verizon's towers and service. I had unlimited everything with wi/fi hot spot and my bill went from $75 + a month to $50 ($5 for new phone) a month and service has not changed. I live in Central Texas also.
Old 07-16-2021, 08:14 AM   #25
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Well, since there was a recent repost on this thread, (and thank-you for all the great things folks have responded with here), I thought I go ahead and give an update. It's now been 5 months since we started using the Visible set-up. I've used it (almost) every day since, and am now using it 100% for both my work computers, even when home. And so far it's been flawless.

Sometimes, we do have to power down the phone and then power it back up and re-do the settings for the tethering setting, but that takes just a moment, and only when the phone has been sitting idle for a long time not in use.

In the camper, we are now using it for streaming television (Ruko), 2 work computers, 2 personal laptops, 2 iPads, and 1 Smart television. When my son and grandson are with us, they tap into it with another iPad and another personal laptop.

We have traveled to Alabama, Kentucky, Tennessee, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, and of course, all over Indiana where we live. Been to several state parks in Indiana, doing "Work form home".... or in our case ... "Work from Camper" as it has wheels and we don't less the moss grow on them ... at all! We "Work from camper" even in our own driveway when home and the Visible has responded and worked without any failures at all.

We lost our internet connection in the house (my son lives with us and also works from home), and he'll tell us "we're down." We'll call our provider and find out they are doing some kind of maintenance or something. Meanwhile, in the camper, my wife and I connected to our Visible, and working along just fine!

So, for us, this has been an absolute "win" situation! An oh, why are we not using our AT&T phone hot spots? First and foremost, they don't work, or play nice, with my wife's company computer. She has been all over AT&T and her company to reconcile the problem. For a while, we even tried one of those stand alone AT&T devices for internet only. And even it did not work for her company laptop. Worked OK for mine, but not hers.

Thus the Visible! Bingo-Bango! This makes working on the road so much more enjoyable!

That's my update.

Again, I appreciate all the comments. To each his own. And we all have to do what works best for all of our own unique situations!

Happy Camping!

And OH, PS on Edit:
We do not share our plan with anyone. I know Visible says you can share and invite people on, and the cost ($40) a month is lowered for every person you bring on. But after doing some reading and researching, it seems the more people that jump on your band wagon, Visible begins to have problems and it appears some kind of throttling occurs. So for us, the saving in cost is NOT worth the risk of loosing dependability. We will not share with ours. I think that's the reason for our current success.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:37 AM   #26
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
DutchmenSport, what problems did you uncover when creating a group? I bought Visible and have it tethered to a Gl-inet ar750s. I was thinking we might start a MOC/Visible group to take advantage of the lower price. But, if it causes service issues, I agree, stay with the higher priced plan.

Speeds are slower than my ATT data only plan. Most times we don’t notice. Doing speed tests, I’ve had DL speeds drop to under 1MB. Netflix looks fuzzy and it takes forever load a webpage. That’s probably due to network congestion. Most times it works really good. It also might improve if I installed an external antenna.
Member #21728
2019 3931FB
2017 F350 6.7 Powerstroke SRW
B&W Companion Slider 20K
jdarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 08:34 AM   #27
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I joined a group of 150 and have been using Visible for 6-7 months. I use a GLiNet Slate 750 (actually 2 - 1 for Montana and 1 for boat). Sometimes my issue is the Slate and rebooting solves issue. DL is usually at 5.1 (the hotspot cap) and tests using the phone are higher, sometimes significant;antly so. I've had no group related issues at all. Saturation in a given cell area is the likely cause of any carrier throttling.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 09:34 AM   #28
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
DutchmenSport, what problems did you uncover when creating a group? I bought Visible and have it tethered to a Gl-inet ar750s. I was thinking we might start a MOC/Visible group to take advantage of the lower price. But, if it causes service issues, I agree, stay with the higher priced plan.

Speeds are slower than my ATT data only plan. Most times we don’t notice. Doing speed tests, I’ve had DL speeds drop to under 1MB. Netflix looks fuzzy and it takes forever load a webpage. That’s probably due to network congestion. Most times it works really good. It also might improve if I installed an external antenna.
FWIW, when I first switched to Visible, I had fast speeds... 30Mb/s weren't unusual. A few months ago I could tell they had a new software rollout that throttled me all the time.
5Mb/s peak, under 1 is not unusual. Pretty sure the network isn't too busy at 3 a.m., so it's definitely a programmed limit.
I flat out told them anything under 2Mb/s breaks just about every streaming service but they don't really care.
Not happy about it but complaining about it gets me nowhere.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #29
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
RipNC, How do you join a group?
Old 10-01-2021, 06:07 PM   #30
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
I have the old Verizon plan. 45 a month unlimited. Yes unlimited I’ve used 33gigs a day for weeks when we were traveling. Never a hiccup
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:50 PM   #31
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
it`s on

Quote:
Signed up to day and ordered a cheap phone through Visible, ordered the router that the other guy used from amazon all suppose to be hear in a couple of days. Will report about use.
So why don````t you start a Party Plan so we can all join and save. The first month is $25.00 dollars with the discount they are offering at the moment, $40.00 a month after that, $69.00 for the phone and $29.00 for the router. I got this to use with the Micro Air Thermostat and I want to install security cameras on the corners of the camper with a motion detector so I can be notified if some one is snooping around. This might not be a good idea with the critters running around. My old security was the old guy next door, nothing got past him and he kept a watch on my unit. The old fart died last month from health issues. He was a good man, a real man of character, gonna miss him.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #32
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
jdarwin,

I never joined a group. I'm solo. I don't mind spending the $40 a month. No hassles working and dealing with other people that way. (Sorry, we've been burned horribly bad in the past when we trusted and believed in someone). I'll stay solo on this.

FYI, we were at Ludington East KOA, near Luddington, Michigan last Friday night. I suppose the KOA was located just too remotely (which was nice), but this was the first place we've been to that our Visible was "choppy". It worked, but when watching streaming videos, it would pause out often. First time this happened. We switched over to the campground WIFI.

By the way, this is really one really nice campground. It's so quiet at night, and if people would turn off their outside lights, it would have been awesome dark. Sky was crystal clear. The stars for brilliant. The campground had an outside movie that started at 8:15 (yes, it was dark), had a nice campfire going in the center and everyone brought lawn chairs. No mosquitoes, kind of a cool night, everyone had a great time. It' a large KOA, isolated. You have to drive down a gravel road to get there, they have a pool, lots of roads to walk, all kinds of games for the family, a blow up jumping "thing" that the kids (and adults) can jump on ... it's huge, and some really nice folks there. Their WIFI worked quite well, and our AT&T phones worked ok. But Visible was choppy there.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #33
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
You used to just enter a code given to you from the person that started the party, but now I guess you click a link.
I already have 6 in my party so I'm at the max discount. I don't even know a couple of the people. You are welcome to join it for the discount.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #34
mike18708

M.O.C. #24513
Which phone did you order from Visible? I'm ready to order, too. Also, can you give me any info on the router? Thanks in advance.
2003 Dodge 3500 Dually Diesel
mike18708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 04:15 PM   #35
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I use a GLiNet AR-750S EXT router. An inexpensive router that can do as much or as little as you want, most importantly it has WiFi as WAN ability. It also cqn run on a USB outlet (comes with usb cable and ac/dc adapter). I use 1 on the boat and 1 on the RV. I use the cheapest ZTE phone they had that supported hotspot.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 08:20 AM   #36
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
It just makes sense to me

so far so good with a months worth of use at $25.00 per and a cheap phone a little router with the Visible Plan. Just finished up a 3 week trip at Myrtle Beach and worked well for computer and streaming movies. The camp ground internet was just about useless for streaming and this solved the problem. I will drop this for the winter layover and start it back up this spring. And nobody tried to kidnaped my first child.
I`ll stay with this until Starlink gets up and running for RV`s.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #37
Ram-X
Established Member

M.O.C. #27019
I am was wondering if anyone has used this setup with a wireless printer . We are using a DSL line and 5Gb would seem lighting fast
Ram-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 05:09 PM   #38
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-X View Post
I am was wondering if anyone has used this setup with a wireless printer . We are using a DSL line and 5Gb would seem lighting fast
My printer is connected to my GliNet router's wi-fi. GliNet is connected to Visible via phones hot spot.. No problem printing from any of our devices.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:00 AM   #39
jdarwin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21728
Quote:
Originally Posted by RipNC View Post
I use a GLiNet AR-750S EXT router. An inexpensive router that can do as much or as little as you want, most importantly it has WiFi as WAN ability. It also cqn run on a USB outlet (comes with usb cable and ac/dc adapter). I use 1 on the boat and 1 on the RV. I use the cheapest ZTE phone they had that supported hotspot.
I use the same router with the Visible ZTE phone. I just bought a WE826-T2 with an EC25 modem. I thought I'd try it.
Old 11-09-2021, 10:53 AM   #40
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
I use the same router with the Visible ZTE phone. I just bought a WE826-T2 with an EC25 modem. I thought I'd try it.
Please let us know how it works!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote