Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #1
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
No power to washer/dryer

2020 Montana 3761RL.

I have no power to either socket in the closet for the washer/dryer. I've checked the circuit breakers; tripped them and returned back to the on position. I bought a tester for sockets and every other socket works but the washer/dryer in the closet.

Any ideas??? What could I be doing wrong or is there something I need to do to activate these circuits?

We're in Casa Grande Arizona for a couple of months so we really need the washer/dryer.

Thanks...

Bakersfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
Richard Blackwell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19705
Send a message via AIM to Richard Blackwell Send a message via MSN to Richard Blackwell
They're most likely on a GFI (ground fault interrupter) circuit...check ALL the other plugs looking for one with a black and a red button for resetting.
2013 3402RL
Richard Blackwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
GFCI Location

So...I checked some more plugs and found I have no power to the plugs outside and in the storage compartment in front. My problem...I've searched the entire trailer and can't find a GFCI plug to reset. Does anyone know where that plug is located to reset it???

Also, the washer and dryer are on separate circuits and both 20amp. Seems a little stiff for a GFCI plug to handle 2 twenty amp circuits but then again, I'm not an electrician.

I can't find a plug to reset so that's my problem. I've checked in the storage units and behind the couches and all over the inside to no avail.

Could use a little guidance on this one...
Old 12-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #4
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
I have 2, one in the bathroom next to sink and one on the inverter

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 02:01 PM   #5
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
I checked the one in the bathroom and reset it. The plugs outside and in the storage unit now work.

When you say "inverter" do you mean the fuse panel or the inverter that is in the storage unit? I thought that was for the fridge.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:12 PM   #6
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
OK...I looked on the inverter in the storage compartment and there is a GFCI on it. The inverter is mounted in such a way that I can't see the side of it so I took a pic and sure enough, there it is. I unplugged the only plug in the inverter and pushed the test button...nothing happened. I pushed the reset button and it won't stay in. Could this be my problem...a bad GFCI in the inverter??? I hope not but it may be.

I've also heard that it's necessary to have a draw on a GFCI to get it to reset. Is that true in this case and will I have a draw if we're plugged into power??

At least we're narrowing it down and thanks for the help...
Old 12-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
the GFI on inverter is very difficult to push in, I don't think it requires a load on it to reset

Old 12-16-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Our GFCI plug is the receptacle closest to the kitchen sink.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Te washer and dryer each have a 20 amp dedicated circuit. They *DO NOT* have a GFCI and they are not powered through the inverter. Time for an Volt/Ohm meter and start at the breakers to ensure there is voltage coming in and out. If all have 120V, then pull the plugs at the sockets at check for power on the wires. You W=washer/dryer and not in a slide so there should be an funky wiring associated with one of those.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 06:18 PM   #10
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I might as well chime in.
1. You don't need a draw to reset a GFCI but you do need power into the outlet.
2. I'd follow Carls's recommendation only I would do it backwards. I'd apply a toner at the washer/dryer plug and follow the tone with an amplifier it will lead you to the next termination on the circuit. I picked a cheap one up at Loew's or Home Depot a few years ago for about $25 bucks but everything has gone up since then. If you know a phone or cable tv person they'll have one. It's easier than trying to visually follow wires in these RV's .
Old 12-17-2021, 08:31 AM   #11
Bakersfish
Established Member

M.O.C. #30197
Thanks for all of the tips...y'all are awesome. I wanted to update everyone after a night of trials and tribulations. During the night, the inverter alarm went off...took a while to find that as I'm new to inverters. Then the carbon monoxide alarm started beeping. I knew that was from a low battery so it became clear to me there was a problem with the entire electrical system.

We towed in to Casa Grande from Arkansas and spent 3 nights on the road with no problems at all so as I lay there awake...all night...I figured it might not be a "me" problem but rather a "them" problem.

This morning, I disconnected the 50amp plug (I have a new surge protector too so that threw a wrench into everything too) and used a 30 to 50 adapter and connected to 30amp service. Everything came on like normal. I checked the washer/dryer plugs and they both have power.

I had read in the forum about a similar and one of the answers included something about one of the poles in the 50amp service not working. That played a part in my mind during the wee hours of the morning so thank you to whoever mentioned that!

I just wanted to let everyone know how I solved my problem. Now I'll be off to the office to see how they will solve their problem.

This is our first Montana and despite these few problems, we are loving it. I really appreciate all of the help on this forum and hopefully, I can give some others help in the future.

Cheers!!!
Old 12-17-2021, 09:08 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
From info on the https://www.myrv.us/electric/ web site, I made one of these testers years ago to check the park power before I ever plug in. Pretty simple and inexpensive with parts from Home Depot or Lowes.

https://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 11:32 AM   #13
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The better EMS systems, rather than a basic surge protector, tells you the voltage, amongst other good info, on each leg when it is plugged in. That way you know immediately if you have a good power pole supply or not.

We are glad to hear you got it figured out and are o the way to a resolution.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #14
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
great news

Old 12-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Agree with Carl, a good EMS is the best. But the simple tester is better than nothing.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 06:24 AM   #16
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
With 50 amp service Rvs the firs thing to check when some inside power outlets quit working is the park service...

You don't need some special tester .. use your multimeter and measure the two legs and you will know in under 10 seconds if the outlet is good or ir you have an issue with the wiring...

It is the first thing I do before I unhook or drag out the shore power cable...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50 amp rv service outlet wiring.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	10796  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 02:35 PM   #17
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfish View Post
2020 Montana 3761RL.

I have no power to either socket in the closet for the washer/dryer. I've checked the circuit breakers; tripped them and returned back to the on position. I bought a tester for sockets and every other socket works but the washer/dryer in the closet.

Any ideas??? What could I be doing wrong or is there something I need to do to activate these circuits?

We're in Casa Grande Arizona for a couple of months so we really need the washer/dryer.

Thanks...
My outlet was routed through the GFCI outlet by my sink.
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 07:52 PM   #18
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakersfish View Post
So...I checked some more plugs and found I have no power to the plugs outside and in the storage compartment in front. My problem...I've searched the entire trailer and can't find a GFCI plug to reset. Does anyone know where that plug is located to reset it???

Also, the washer and dryer are on separate circuits and both 20amp. Seems a little stiff for a GFCI plug to handle 2 twenty amp circuits but then again, I'm not an electrician.

I can't find a plug to reset so that's my problem. I've checked in the storage units and behind the couches and all over the inside to no avail.

Could use a little guidance on this one...
No GFCI on those circuits, only the kitchen sink area and bathroom sink area. Start at the main power panel and using a meter make sure there is power on the breakers. If both are not working I suspect a bigger problem, is anything working on the 1/2 panel the W&D are on? A VOM will tell you if the main breaker is working.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #19
JamesD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10843
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
No GFCI on those circuits, only the kitchen sink area and bathroom sink area. Start at the main power panel and using a meter make sure there is power on the breakers. If both are not working I suspect a bigger problem, is anything working on the 1/2 panel the W&D are on? A VOM will tell you if the main breaker is working.
It has to be by a sink, and most likely in the bathroom or someone performing the assembly didn't hook it up.

*edit*
Is there an outlet in your water/dump station?
JamesD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 09:47 PM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
In Post #11, the OP discusses the solution. The problem has been corrected.