Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Macerator Pump

What would be the best macerator pump to buy if I need to pump slightly uphill to my septic tank at home? It's probably about 12 in. up overall from where I have to park, and maybe about 30 feet. Is that even do-able?

Rangoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 10:13 PM   #2
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
I have a flowjet it can easily pump 75-100 feet slightly uphill with no issues. It gets used at home 10-12 times a year.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
I bought the FlowJet also. Mine has the bayonet connections to attach to the sewer outlet and I added a 12v power source in the top of the wet bay to plug it in. FlowJet appears to be the best one going unless you install a permanent solution. There are several knock offs on Amazon, so beware. I found the best price for mine at Home Depot. Had it shipped to our local store for free.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 05:19 AM   #4
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Flojet for my nmeeds. Not inexpensive but spares are easy to find if needed plus it works well
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:01 PM   #5
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
Thank you all for the advice. I bought the flow jet and it worked like a champ. Much faster and easier than moving the whole rig to a dump site!
Old 01-09-2022, 10:27 PM   #6
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
I was once a user of the Flojet pump, til one day after a weekend trip with the grandchildren. Back at home, the pump out seemed to be going normal, but after 5 minutes, the pump sound (accelerating) indicating the black tank was empty, never happened. I turned the pump off and checked the black tank indicator which looked like the black tank was still full. Hmmmm. Finding no indications of the unusual circumstance, I turned the power switch to on. I now pause to tell you what caused the emptying to prematurely stop. On the camping trip, the girls had made liberal use of "flushable wet wipes" on the shelf adjacent the toilet. The wipes had twisted around the pump impeller forming a 3"x4" cylindrical plug. The impeller only was able to continue turning due to the torque it attained previous to the acquisition of the wet wipes. However, when the pump was turned on for the second time, the physic's law of equal and opposite action took over and the pump spun loose, dropped to the ground and began slinging those wet wipes amidst a 3" brown stream of ____________(you fill in the blank) flowing liberally. Later, I checked, Flowjet's included instruction booklet. Other than this thing causes cancer in California, there is nothing to forewarn the user of something like this. So, you have been warned. I thought of suing the manufacturer for using the term "flushable", surely a jury of my peers would convict. That was 10 years ago, the marriage survived to eclipse 50 years. Once in a while someone has to post a question about Flojet pumps....are they good, which opens a still festering wound. Are Flowjet pumps good? Yes, but not fool proof.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
^^^too funny!^^^
Old 01-17-2022, 04:44 PM   #8
Rangoon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21851
That was a great story. I can just picture it and you made me laugh! My husband was actually "Rangoon" but he died suddenly 2 years ago and now I'm trying to figure out some of this RV stuff because I have to live in it while they're building me a new house. The house was supposed to be ready for me in November of 2020 but they're still not finished, so I'm thankful he left me the RV although I don't know how to do anything with it :-(
Old 01-17-2022, 08:01 PM   #9
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangoon View Post
What would be the best macerator pump to buy if I need to pump slightly uphill to my septic tank at home? It's probably about 12 in. up overall from where I have to park, and maybe about 30 feet. Is that even do-able?
I bought a kit from these folks - https://cleandump.com/ They were great to deal with; very knowledgeable and great service.
They make all included kits with pumps, fittings, hoses, etc, and in either twist on or built in.
It was a bit of work, but I wanted a built in - so convenient, I never have to hook or unhook a hose ever again. And, no "flushable wipes" moments!
See my writeup and photos here

hth
Brad