Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2022, 05:07 AM   #1
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Tow hitches

My previous used truck came with an installed hitch which used the rail system with pin and clips. It was heavy (maybe 100 lbs) and I used a Transmission lift to get it in and out of the bed. I just bought a 2020 LB Ram 3500 with the puck system. I didn't mind scratching up my old "starter" truck but though this truck is new it only has 15K mile and looks new (damn well cost like a new truck!!). I tow a 2016 Monty 353RL and was wonder if the Anderson hitch, which is only 35 lbs to be up to the job. To me more weight means more strength (and also more strength required to move it in and out of the bed). I've researched the Pull Rite, Anderson, B&W, Denco and Reese hitches but am requesting some real world experience. I've read a lot of the previous posts on the Anderson and wondered if that provides enough twisting support on for the trailer pin box, or do you even need twisting support or is it better to let the trailer twist a little in relation to the truck?
So for those who have used the Anderson, is this an issue? Are there better ones out there? Pull Rite has a gooseneck hitch which seems pretty cool but weighs 74 lbs. I can lift about 100 lbs maybe once a day, but don't want to be doing it all the time. I do like removing the hitch as I use the truck for other things. Any suggestions would help. I might also add that I have a toolbox/aux tank in the truck, or will shortly

tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:14 AM   #2
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Tom, I have been looking at the same thing. I have a Reese hitch and my Son-in-laws have to put it in and out for me. I don't need my bed, so I leave it in most of the time. Have you looked at the Reese Goosebox? Those that have them speak highly of them. With LCI not warrantying the trailer frames when you use an Andersen hitch makes me question that. This issue has been beat up a lot with many people on both sides. Not a clear choice for me. Good luck with whatever way you go.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #3
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
I too debated which hitch. And I have a tractor with front end loader to remove a heavy hitch from the bed. But what if I'm not home and have to remove the hitch and reinstall it? The Anderson hitch was, at the time of, #### or get off the pot, the only one to my limited knowledge that would fit the bill. Then I learned later about the replaceable goose neck hitches. Probably woulda gone with one of those but I've got the Anderson and I'm happy so far. I'm 72 with 1 titanium shoulder...... and that's the good one. Anderson is no problem lifting it in and out. The aux. tank I've ordered will fit but I had to be very selective with size because the hitch does sprawl out towards the bulkhead a bit much. Good luck with whatever you go with.
Old 01-11-2022, 10:03 AM   #4
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I've been using an Anderson hitch since buying our trailer in May of 2020. I have nothing but great things to say about it, as I have had back surgery prior and didn't want to move a traditional 5th wheel hitch, which I had before. What I'm hearing now is Lippert will not warranty their frames if using an Anderson, or others like it, and will only warranty if you use their Reese Goosebox in place of a standard kingpin. I'm now looking at going to the Reese Goosebox, which will also free up my bed space, and storage of a hitch.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The issue with both the Andersen and the Pullrite 2600 isn't whether or not they work well...they both do. Our Andersen has been great to use. The issue is Lippert's warranty. A 2016 5er doesn't have any frame warranty left anyway so I would pick the hitch that works best for you.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 10:57 AM   #6
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
I called Lippert about the Anderson hitch, as I've read that the warranty on a new trailer would be void if it were used, but I wasn't sure why. According to Lippert if you use any adapter on the pin box, Yes, your warranty would be void should you have any frame damage.This would also apply to Pull Rite Superlite or any other gooseneck that uses an adapter. This is due to the twisting of the frame on the gooseneck, where it has a more stable platform on the typical hitches. Now, if you no longer have a warranty the tech said, "Used whatever you like".
YMMV
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 11:09 AM   #7
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Whatever you get I would make safety my number one concern. I don't know any of the details other than one person was killed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58fa518bb275f.image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	10946   Click image for larger version

Name:	58fa524165e86.image.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	532.0 KB
ID:	10947  
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:57 AM   #8
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I'm running the PullRite Superlite #2600 it's a good hitch that is made out of steel, I'm on my 2nd years now using it and have put a lot of miles on it.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
Whatever you get I would make safety my number one concern. I don't know any of the details other than one person was killed.
Was that with the use of an Anderson?
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 01:32 PM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I use a Demco Recon mounted on bed rails...it is not light as a feather, but I can handle it myself.
The head comes off the frame...the frame is the heavy part...not sure what it weighs but so far so good. I will guess it weighs 50 lbs. and the head weighs maybe 20 lbs. I need to take a scale out there and verify those numbers.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 08:44 AM   #11
Rider
Established Member

M.O.C. #30237
Andersen Ultimate & Pullrite Superlite

LCI's denial of warranty for using a gooseneck adapter to reach down to the truck bed may be based on what happened to this individuals 5th wheel:

https://www.thedieselgarage.com/thre...-say-no.70978/

LCI is hypocritical to warranty Reese Goosebox, which is exactly what they're denying - a modification of the pin box. Andersen & Pullrite adapters are smaller and put the connection much closer to the kingpin than Reese's. Maybe $ from Reese is a factor?
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 03:14 PM   #12
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Was that with the use of an Anderson?
I honestly have no idea what hitch was being used. Here is the text from the news article about it:

Quote:
SACATON — A 66-year-old Colorado woman was killed in a one-vehicle accident on Interstate 10 north of Casa Grande Wednesday morning that backed up traffic for much of the day, authorities said. The Arizona Department of Public Safety identified the deceased as Anne Tonia Hrdlicka, of Brush, Colorado.

She was a passenger in a pickup truck pulling a fifth-wheel trailer when it crashed in the median at 10:17 a.m. at milepost 180, which is between the Casa Blanca Road interchange and State Route 387 interchange, west of Sacaton.
The Arizona Department of Transportation reported that traffic backed up as much as 5 miles in both directions of the interstate as crews tended to the accident scene.

A cause of the accident hasn’t been determined.
I was able to find this about the woman that died:

https://buelermortuary.com/ann-t-hrdlicka/
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 05:39 AM   #13
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom woodward View Post
... Pull Rite has a gooseneck hitch which seems pretty cool but weighs 74 lbs. I can lift about 100 lbs maybe once a day, but don't want to be doing it all the time. ...
The PullRite model that you're referencing here is the 3900. That is the weight of the just the base. The whole hitch weighs 115 lbs, but it is a 30 second job to separate or reconnect the two pieces.

That's what we have, and I love it. It is very easy for me to put in by myself, and I always separate the two pieces...
Old 01-14-2022, 10:07 AM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
I use a Demco Recon mounted on bed rails...it is not light as a feather, but I can handle it myself.
The head comes off the frame...the frame is the heavy part...not sure what it weighs but so far so good. I will guess it weighs 50 lbs. and the head weighs maybe 20 lbs. I need to take a scale out there and verify those numbers.
The Recon comes apart in 3 sections. Check yours out a little more careful. Each section alone is very easy to move around. The head and center post can be separated, and the post can be removed from the base making all 3 parts easy to handle and light weight.
DutchmenSport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #15
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Tow hitch

Prior to buying my 2019 Ram 3500 I used the Reese hitch with rails in my 2003. After picking up my 2019 I experimented with rail adapter kit to see how my old hitch would work with my new puck system.
I found I would still need to remove my hitch in two pieces, like before, or use my trailer to lift the hitch out of the bed.
As I have been using Reese for over 20 yrs I decided to stay conventional and get the Reese puck system. I still use my 5th wheel to lift the hitch out of the bed but it’s more difficult to line up the pucks than with the old rail system.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:13 PM   #16
GeneK2

M.O.C. #25237
Anderson Hitch

Call Anderson and they will tell you who covers what plus their liability coverage. I’ve used my Anderson on my Montana a lot with no issues. Love the light weight.
GeneK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:09 PM   #17
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
After researching both the Anderson and the PullRite 2600, I opted for the Pull Rite. It weighs a little more, but still easy for this old man to remove and replace. It is stronger, better designed, and has a company with a long term reputation behind it. The only drawback to these types of hitches is poor visibility from the driver’s seat. I may install an additional bed camera, in the meantime, the DW will guide me in.

Also, the PullRite is a LOT cheaper.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 05:46 PM   #18
Dreamersandtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14250
1st thought was why change hitch? Old school & continued use for semi tractors lead me to trust durable timeproven hitches. Very leary & skeptical of these newer lightweight systems. Guess it's your choice. Improvements in brakes have come along like disc brakes on trailers so possible new tow hitches are up to the task.
Dreamersandtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:53 PM   #19
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
I have been using an Anderson hitch to pull my Montana High Country 380. As noted it saves weight and when pulling weight is always your enemy. I’ve had no problems with the Anderson system.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:55 AM   #20
jwengermt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26938
We have the BW roll over ball hitch and the Reese Goose Box. Works great and never have to worry about lifting heavy equipment in and out of the truck. I use my truck a lot when not towing so it's very convenient. The Goose Box has an airbag and shock absorbers and rides nicely. We have the 6'6" box so need the 4" extension ball. Very happy with this system.
2004 Chev 2500 HD
jwengermt is offline   Reply With Quote