Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Surge protector Tripped

I plugged into the grid for the first time today, and the red light was on that indicated surge protector tripped. I cannot for the life of me find the reset button it's a 2021 3781 Legacy it was a little anti climatic to say the least.

Thanks Dean

Wellplayedsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 04:24 PM   #2
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
It's a Surge Guard 41261
it says there is a manual reset but I can't find it fo the life of me,
it is located behined the out side TV compartment. I got to it by removing a panel in the big cross over compartment. "not the curved one the one on they other side"

Dean
Old 01-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #3
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
I called the dealership and Montana, and they both told me that it should reset itself after 10 min or so. That did not work after many atempts, I not only turned of the key in the water compartment off also the one in the battery compartment and disconected the battery itself still no go. I called surge guard and left a message I don't know if they will get back to me or not fingers and toes, I have decided to bypass the built in surge protector and buy an inline one that goes on the main plug. one thing is for sure is that I am not bringing it in to Camping world for service or anything else.

Dean
Old 01-10-2022, 10:07 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Wellplayedsir,

I've been searching the internet for your model, and all I'm coming up with is the Surge Guard 41260-001 is a transfer switch, designed to switch the electric "in" from shore power to a generator and back again.

What kind of camper do you have?

If this is the right device, the problem is not with your surge protector, it's with your transfer switch.

The red key you described turns on and off the battery, as does the other switch. They have nothing to do with in-coming 120 volt AC power. These disconnects the battery from "house" and the power converter, and the other switchs turn the battery off leading to your "inverter" to run a residential refrigerator when disconnected from shore power.

I think you might be confusing things here.

A surge protector, used to watch dog incoming electricity, will trip when the incoming electricity has anomalies. (And EMS is truly better though).

Most surge protectors and EMS systems do not play nice with generators because the protectors do not recognize a ground and will error, thus preventing electric flow to the camper. However, there are ways to wire the generator so the EMS and the Surge Protectors detects a ground and then they work just fine.

A transfer switch, switches incoming electricity (the source) from shore power or an on-board generator. The transfer switch detects which source the power is coming from and switches over to that source when the other is absent (for example a power outage).

It sound like you might also have another transfer switch on your camper, if you have an inverter for the refrigerator.

Under normal conditions and plugged into shore power, your refrigerator will run from shore power electricity. But, if there is a power loss, or you unplug your camper from shore power, something else happens.

Your 12 volt house battery has a separate feed that goes to your inverter. The inverter switches 12 volt DC (battery) to 120 volt AC. The output (AC) from the inverter goes to a transfer switch. If there is a shore power electric disconnect the transfer switch will switch the AC power (incoming from shore power) to the AC (incoming now), from the inverter from the battery), and will continue to run the refrigerator.

It sound to me like you might have had a power surge of some sort and the Surge Guard did what it was suppose to do. It killed power to the camper. But when it did, something else happened. It froze the (AC in) on the transfer switch. It's now stuck thinking you should be running a generator.

Here's a thought. If you do have a generator, unplug from shore power and turn the generator on. Let it run for a few minutes, then power down. Now plug into shore power again. See if that resets the AC incoming transfer switch.

Surge Protectors and EMS systems do reset themselves. Your problem is elsewhere if this simple step does not work.

However, if you do not have a generator, then all this rambling does not apply. Good luck.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #5
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
The light is off now on the surge protector I still cannot get 120 volts into they RV.
Anyone know where that transfer switch might be. It's a 2021 3781FL Legacy
Old 01-10-2022, 02:17 PM   #6
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Reset or "Hard" Reset

Hi I need to do one of these is there a video or an older thread that has it explained. I could not find it 2021 3781RL Legacy.

Dean
Old 01-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #7
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Dean,

What are you trying to reset? Need a little more info to help you.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #8
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
I can't seem to get 120 volts into they rv from the 50 amp plug the power is there but it is just not powering they rv, they inverter is not trippped. that is what Montana told me
even they ac's have to be reset I don't where to look for those either

Dean
Old 01-10-2022, 04:11 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Is this need for a "Hard reset" a continuation of your other post about the Surge protector and no power into the coach?
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=86204

If yes, and I am pretty sure it is, you should probably continue the diagnostics others suggested in the 1st Thread. Typically a Hard Reset is achieved by disconnecting all power (120V and 12V) for a period of time. But many believe the Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS) is the problem and it will not be affected by this technique. The ATS is known to fail and not reset.

If this is a continuation of the other Thread, I will be more than happy to move all this discussion over the the 1st Thread so all of the debugging interactions are in one Thread.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 04:17 PM   #10
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Yes please I did not know if they should be seperate not to confuse.

Dean
Old 01-10-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The two Treads have been "merged" together.

Old 01-10-2022, 06:08 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellplayedsir View Post
I can't seem to get 120 volts into they rv from the 50 amp plug the power is there but it is just not powering they rv, they inverter is not trippped. that is what Montana told me
even they ac's have to be reset I don't where to look for those either

Dean
I am confused as to the symptoms you describe.

When you say the "power is there", where is there? Is that at the power pole, the Surge Protector, the ATS or the Power Distribution panel (aka circuit breaker panel)?

You wrote "the light is off now on the surge protector". Is this light on the display on the panel inside the coach? You imply you are still looking for the location of the surge protector.

The writing "they inverter is not trippped. that is what Montana told me
even they ac's have to be reset" doesn't make sense. You have an inverter to power the residential refer. It has no relation to the "ac's" (air conditioners I assume). If "ac's" is meant as Alternating Current, yes 120V AC powers air conditioners but they don't need to be reset if power is lost.

You started this Thread with a statement "I plugged into the grid for the first time today". Really, this was the first time ever? Had you just run on a generator before? That would lend credence to the ATS failure conjecture.

Not having you year unit, I am going on what other owners of this year have said. Your Surge Guard is really just an Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS). They are known to be a POS.

At this point, ensure you have power at the shore power pole. I bet you do.

Next find the actual Surge Guard/ATS (not the display on the monitor panel). I believe you need to removes the back panel on the door side of the pass through compartment. There are only six screws holding it in. The use a Volt Ohm Meter to measure the current coming in and out. There are a number of recent Threads on this very subject. Dollars to donuts, the ATS is stuck on generator input. If you are comfortable with 120V electricity, you can unstick it. If you are not comfortable, leave it alone and get an electrician. Even if you untick it, it likely will occur again. Get Montana ot replace it under warranty or do it yourself.

Old 01-16-2022, 01:25 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dean, sorry to hear about your issue. First, I assume you have checked power coming out of your surge guard with a multimeter. Just keep checking up to the transfer switch. It should be back behind your rear basement wall. You will find a 3/8” screw holding the cover on. Check voltage on both sides. Ours failed and did not allow ours to charge. You will find if you don’t have voltage you can take an insulated screwdriver and manually “latch” the transfer switch. Best of luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 04:11 PM   #14
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
I finally got power and everything seems to be working apart for they awnings go figure are they 12 volt or 110 I don't know what we did to fix it we started from scratch and did not stop until we went through it all.

Dean
Old 01-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Dean, awnings are 12V. Glad you got it working.
Old 02-02-2022, 12:23 PM   #16
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Awnings and Awnings Lights

I still can't get they awnings to extend out or the lights to turn on for that matter, I have checked every fuse and breaker it's a no go
2021 3781RL Legacy with they In Command System.

Thanks Dean
Old 02-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #17
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
Any suggestion anyone.

Dean
Old 02-02-2022, 06:50 PM   #18
mbjam359
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20338
Im thinking there is a hard reset for the In Command system in the storage bay. You will have to take the cover off the brain to find it. I could be wrong. Call the In Command help number and see if they can assist.

I thought your first issue was the transfer switch. I am on my third transfer switch.
mbjam359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:45 PM   #19
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I am assuming you turned the power off on In-Command and restarted it. If not, start there. Next, have you updated your floor plan in In-Command? If you have done this, next I would call In-Command and see what they say, as mentioned earlier.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #20
Wellplayedsir
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30317
I will look into those sugestions thanks

Dean