Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2024, 06:30 AM   #21
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatacus View Post
This route will let me avoid tolls.
that last route will avoid most congestion highways and cities.

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 07:53 AM   #22
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I live about 45 miles from Indianapolis. The route from Indianapolis to North Carolina is a good route. Your route will take you down US 35 from Dayton, Ohio to Teays, West Virginia and hit I-64 South.

Take that route, it's good. However, you will have 3 toll stations on I-77, $5.50 for tow vehicle and trailer for each one (cash only--- no credit cards, they do have a transponder system too). But the route is good, no issues at all.

Coming through Charleston, WV is a little squirley, but not bad. Try to avoid it during the rush hours.

Coming through Dayton, Ohio on the interstate is a bet trying also. But if you follow a GPS that shows the upcoming exits and such, you'll do just fine.

I-70 at Richmond, Indiana (Right before you cross over into Ohio) is awful though. You'll hit a stretch of about 15 miles before you exit the state that is horribly bumpy. The rest of I-70 across Indiana isn't too bad.

After you get out of Indiana, the roads will be good all the way through to your destination in NC.

For what it's worth, we travel this route (US 35 thorugh Ohio) at least twice a year going to North Carolina.

It's just, if you take the Indianapolis route, you'll have to drive through Illinois.

Two things you need to be keenly aware of if driving through Illinois.

First, if you a weapon, Illinois is not Second Amendment friendly at all. Keep the weapon in your camper when you travel through that state.

Second, absolutely, absolutely do not speed coming through that state. I think the speed limit for vehicles towing a trailer is 60 mph. It's long, it's boring, it's slow. But that is better than getting stopped and ticketed .... and it will happen if you speed. And if you are "carrying" you REALLY don't want to be stopped.

When we absolutely MUST drive through Illinois, we NEVER speed, and I never stop anywhere for any reason. I just drive through and don't look back. I make sure I am fueled up before hitting that state and I drive through. I also will drive South and then around Illinois, just to avoid it, going 200 miles out of my way before driving through. And of course, even though Illinois has some really nice state parks, we never visit there.

Your Southern route (I-40 through Tennessee) is a good alternative. You avoid Illinois completely and I-40 is a great route. Once you get past Knoxville, Tennesse, I-40 becomes quite interesting. Of course, once you cross the NC state line, you are in the Pishga National Forest area, and the curves on the interstate become interesting. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely do not speed once you cross the NC state line until you hit Asheville, NC. There is no threat of speeding tickets, it's just the curves on those roads are THAT hairy! Semi trucks will blow you by. Let them go. Having a wreck is not worth it. Do not go faster than the posted speed limit, maybe even slower, and you'll navigate those curves and hills just fine! There are sections that are a bit hairy. You don't need to be slamming on your brakes to keep the vehicle under control. It sounds worse than it really is, IF you go faster than the posted speed limit. You will also go through 2 tunnels. Stay in your lane, and it's OK to slow down a bit going through them.

Well, those are my tips once you reach either Indiana or Tennessee, depending on the route you take.

Personally, I'd take the southern route, just to miss Illinois. I despise Illinois that much!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:28 PM   #23
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I live about 45 miles from Indianapolis. The route from Indianapolis to North Carolina is a good route. Your route will take you down US 35 from Dayton, Ohio to Teays, West Virginia and hit I-64 South.

Take that route, it's good. However, you will have 3 toll stations on I-77, $5.50 for tow vehicle and trailer for each one (cash only--- no credit cards, they do have a transponder system too). But the route is good, no issues at all.

Coming through Charleston, WV is a little squirley, but not bad. Try to avoid it during the rush hours.

Coming through Dayton, Ohio on the interstate is a bet trying also. But if you follow a GPS that shows the upcoming exits and such, you'll do just fine.

I-70 at Richmond, Indiana (Right before you cross over into Ohio) is awful though. You'll hit a stretch of about 15 miles before you exit the state that is horribly bumpy. The rest of I-70 across Indiana isn't too bad.

After you get out of Indiana, the roads will be good all the way through to your destination in NC.

For what it's worth, we travel this route (US 35 thorugh Ohio) at least twice a year going to North Carolina.

It's just, if you take the Indianapolis route, you'll have to drive through Illinois.

Two things you need to be keenly aware of if driving through Illinois.

First, if you a weapon, Illinois is not Second Amendment friendly at all. Keep the weapon in your camper when you travel through that state.

Second, absolutely, absolutely do not speed coming through that state. I think the speed limit for vehicles towing a trailer is 60 mph. It's long, it's boring, it's slow. But that is better than getting stopped and ticketed .... and it will happen if you speed. And if you are "carrying" you REALLY don't want to be stopped.

When we absolutely MUST drive through Illinois, we NEVER speed, and I never stop anywhere for any reason. I just drive through and don't look back. I make sure I am fueled up before hitting that state and I drive through. I also will drive South and then around Illinois, just to avoid it, going 200 miles out of my way before driving through. And of course, even though Illinois has some really nice state parks, we never visit there.

Your Southern route (I-40 through Tennessee) is a good alternative. You avoid Illinois completely and I-40 is a great route. Once you get past Knoxville, Tennesse, I-40 becomes quite interesting. Of course, once you cross the NC state line, you are in the Pishga National Forest area, and the curves on the interstate become interesting. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely do not speed once you cross the NC state line until you hit Asheville, NC. There is no threat of speeding tickets, it's just the curves on those roads are THAT hairy! Semi trucks will blow you by. Let them go. Having a wreck is not worth it. Do not go faster than the posted speed limit, maybe even slower, and you'll navigate those curves and hills just fine! There are sections that are a bit hairy. You don't need to be slamming on your brakes to keep the vehicle under control. It sounds worse than it really is, IF you go faster than the posted speed limit. You will also go through 2 tunnels. Stay in your lane, and it's OK to slow down a bit going through them.

Well, those are my tips once you reach either Indiana or Tennessee, depending on the route you take.

Personally, I'd take the southern route, just to miss Illinois. I despise Illinois that much!

Sir, you are so right, I'm going to see if I can go back to Good Sam Trip Planner and get a better route. I'm with you as far as going through Illinois because you know I don't leave home with it with the world the way it is now, crazy. A couple of times there have been some close situations if you know what I mean, but nothing happened, thank God.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:29 PM   #24
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
I do want to thank everyone for your comments it have been very helpful.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:48 PM   #25
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Okay I redid it but going this way will add some more miles but I'm already with it don't want to go through Ill, I will have to tweak it some more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-01-21 174536.png
Views:	17
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	16340  
Old 01-21-2024, 11:49 PM   #26
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Okay I think that I got it now I just need to fine tune it and put in my campsite stay with this I'm able to miss Illinois.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Find Tune N.C. Route..png
Views:	21
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	16345  
Old 01-22-2024, 04:31 PM   #27
newowneroldmontana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19318
Looks good, and you'll be going through the Ozarks in southern Missouri--that's beautiful country.
newowneroldmontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 04:48 PM   #28
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2024, 05:40 PM   #29
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Thank you guys for your comments I feel pretty good with this route the last time we traveled cross country was a little hairy but I always watch my surroundings if you guys know what I mean without saying.
Old 01-24-2024, 01:47 PM   #30
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
I’m reading this post from a different perspective based on information you provided.
1. Urgency to get to your destination
2. No sightseeing
3. Driving 500-600 miles a day.

If these were my objectives, I would not tow an rv on such a trip.
Rv’ing should be enjoyable, although there can be some stressful situations. You are starting out already stressed, your mother’s health. You are driving 8-10 hours a day, fuel stops that will accommodate your rv, setting up and breaking camp (although I’m sure it will be minimal) potentially in the dark, etc.
Without the rv, in that same 8-10 hours a day, you will travel further. You can refuel anywhere. There are motel/hotels at just about every exit on the interstates.

Just my two cents.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 02:28 PM   #31
Stix
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25024
Cross Country from Seattle

We took the trip from Seattle to Georgia a couple of years back before the Thanksgiving timeframe. We used the Good Sam trip planner and had campgrounds set up to call each day. If they didn’t have availability when we called we got on the internet and called others or kept driving until we found one. You can make pretty good time going across middle America as there was little traffic except inconsiderate truckers. We didn’t go the I90 route as the weather predictions were not good so we dropped down through Oregon, Idaho, the tip of Utah and across Wyoming. The biggest issue we had was waking up to 6 inches of snow in Utah where we couldn’t get the slides in as the snow compacted when we tried to bring in the slide. I was on a ladder pushing off the snow while the wife was bringing in the slide a couple of inches at a time. We got out of there and then sat in Wyoming for 3 hours as truckers had jackknifed across both lanes, both directions shutting down the highway. Once we got out of there it was pretty uneventful driving. Make sure you map out your fuel stops, if driving straight through, as there are sometimes no fueling opportunities for hours of driving.

Good luck and hope all goes well!
Stix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 12:51 AM   #32
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post
I’m reading this post from a different perspective based on information you provided.
1. Urgency to get to your destination
2. No sightseeing
3. Driving 500-600 miles a day.

If these were my objectives, I would not tow an rv on such a trip.
Rv’ing should be enjoyable, although there can be some stressful situations. You are starting out already stressed, your mother’s health. You are driving 8-10 hours a day, fuel stops that will accommodate your rv, setting up and breaking camp (although I’m sure it will be minimal) potentially in the dark, etc.
Without the rv, in that same 8-10 hours a day, you will travel further. You can refuel anywhere. There are motel/hotels at just about every exit on the interstates.

Just my two cents.

Thank you sir for your comment, you know a man has to know their limitation so I will break it up so I won't be too overly tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix View Post
We took the trip from Seattle to Georgia a couple of years back before the Thanksgiving timeframe. We used the Good Sam trip planner and had campgrounds set up to call each day. If they didn’t have availability when we called we got on the internet and called others or kept driving until we found one. You can make pretty good time going across middle America as there was little traffic except inconsiderate truckers. We didn’t go the I90 route as the weather predictions were not good so we dropped down through Oregon, Idaho, the tip of Utah and across Wyoming. The biggest issue we had was waking up to 6 inches of snow in Utah where we couldn’t get the slides in as the snow compacted when we tried to bring in the slide. I was on a ladder pushing off the snow while the wife was bringing in the slide a couple of inches at a time. We got out of there and then sat in Wyoming for 3 hours as truckers had jackknifed across both lanes, both directions shutting down the highway. Once we got out of there it was pretty uneventful driving. Make sure you map out your fuel stops, if driving straight through, as there are sometimes no fueling opportunities for hours of driving.

Good luck and hope all goes well!

And this is with Good Sam Trip Planner that I made this route on and this is what I'm looking for an easy travel down. I'm going to have to look at the route you went through and with the snow you probably went earlier in the year, we went one year and went through WY and it was a little snow and ice on the ground at one of the KOA's the water pipe froze, not good.

In my GMC 3500 dually I have a 36 gals fuel tank and I always carry an extra 5 gals fuel can, but I did check into getting a Titan 62 gals tank to replace the oem tank but they wanted $2,300 dollars and not counting that I have to fill it up with diesel so I will keep my 5 gals or even I can have two 5 gals fuel can and come out cheaper.

I'm looking at going in the summer time between June-August but I'm not sure so I would like that at least have my mapping done. Thank you again for your comment. This is the route that I might go with see map.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Test Run 4.png
Views:	17
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	16371  
Old 01-25-2024, 12:51 PM   #33
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
George, If you can avoid the Chicago mess do so. If it were me I'd come down I-29 through Omaha and go to St. Joseph, MO then take Hwy 36 east out of St Joe to Hannibal and go South from there and across East to Goldsboro. We head to Alabama frequently and that is the way we take which avoids any large city traffic. St Louis is the only big city you would have to contend with and you can avoid it by taking the interstate that goes around it to the north of the city and comes out on the Illinois side of the Mississippi!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2024, 03:03 PM   #34
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
[QUOTE=Sparatacus;1287190]In the map that I just posted the trip planner said that it will take me 40 hrs 11 min. and the first map route that I posted said 37 hrs 51 min.

We used many trip planners in our 23 years of RV'ing. Except on very short trips we never came close to matching their time predictions. They figure times based on driving the posted speed limits 100% of the time. We never achieved that pulling the 5'er. Every time you slow down it takes longer to get back up to speed. We always required at least a couple of fuel stops if driving long days. Always needed bathroom breaks and generally a lunch break if doing long days. Rule of thumb, we averaged 50 miles per hour trip after trip. Your results may vary but I'll bet it's not by much.
Old 01-25-2024, 07:48 PM   #35
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
George, If you can avoid the Chicago mess do so. If it were me I'd come down I-29 through Omaha and go to St. Joseph, MO then take Hwy 36 east out of St Joe to Hannibal and go South from there and across East to Goldsboro. We head to Alabama frequently and that is the way we take which avoids any large city traffic. St Louis is the only big city you would have to contend with and you can avoid it by taking the interstate that goes around it to the north of the city and comes out on the Illinois side of the Mississippi!
[QUOTE=jimcol;1287434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatacus View Post
In the map that I just posted the trip planner said that it will take me 40 hrs 11 min. and the first map route that I posted said 37 hrs 51 min.

We used many trip planners in our 23 years of RV'ing. Except on very short trips we never came close to matching their time predictions. They figure times based on driving the posted speed limits 100% of the time. We never achieved that pulling the 5'er. Every time you slow down it takes longer to get back up to speed. We always required at least a couple of fuel stops if driving long days. Always needed bathroom breaks and generally a lunch break if doing long days. Rule of thumb, we averaged 50 miles per hour trip after trip. Your results may vary but I'll bet it's not by much.

Thank you guys very much it is deeply appreicated I will look at my map with Good Sam again I did wrote down those city and states you mentions and will give it a try, wow, this site and the people on this site are awesome and you just don't know how this lightening up a big load off of my mind, what's left of it anyway, lol.