Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2024, 05:22 PM   #1
Juudede
Established Member

M.O.C. #19478
Peeling Leather

Despite our best diligence to maintain our 2017 Montana High Country 375FL, we bought new in 2017, the flaking faux leather is falling off like tissue paper everywhere. This model has so much, furniture (theater seats replaced 4 years ago) sofas, window cornices and sides, bed headboard, and entrance doors top trims. Resale value is probably in the pits.

Bedroom heat pump/AC just had to be replaced. We are very disappointed with the quality of the Montana.

Unfortunately we traded a 2005 Sunline TT for this in 2017. That Sunline was as perfect as the day it left the showroom. Quality is no longer a priority.

Juudede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 05:35 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Almost everyone or everyone who has this furniture has this problem. I bought two recliners because they fit and could find nothing else that would fit and guess what, yep they are have the same problem.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 10:44 PM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You can blame Keystone, but the furniture, the A/C, and many other things were just installed by Keystone, not made by them. Our front A/C died within the first year, replacement paid for by Dometic. All our furniture is cloth covered, not pleather, so no issues other than bad construction. Real leather would be way to costly for the price point of these Montana's, and appliances are a crap shoot for life spans. That front A/C was replaced in 2013 and is still going strong and the rear is still working great, and we full time.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:47 PM   #4
Juudede
Established Member

M.O.C. #19478
Well I can blame them for installing junk. The first week we had this Montana, February 2017, my husband, a carpenter took of the bathroom door abs reinstalled it correctly. No problems with the door since. Us this cheap leather really cheaper than fabric? This fake leather is peeling where no one has touched or cab reach!
Old 02-04-2024, 03:31 PM   #5
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Unhappy

I bought 2 chairs from "RECPRO" and after very little use over 3 yrs. one chair started peeling right behind where my headwould be. It was VERY thin material and we were very careful when using chairs. I sent RECPRO a letter about buying another back piece since the chairs come in two pieces. Never received any response from company. I DON"T recommend buying RECPRO furniture.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:11 PM   #6
Juudede
Established Member

M.O.C. #19478
We already replaced the theater chairs with lazy boy rocker recliners. $300 each 2019. Sofas are covered with quilted covers. My big problem now are all the window and door treatments that are peeling away. The bed headboard too. It's all peeling like tissue paper.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:41 PM   #7
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
....You can blame Keystone, but the furniture, the A/C, and many other things were just installed by Keystone, not made by them...
Very true. However, it's clear Keystone is going with the lowest bidder, not a quality bidder.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:54 PM   #8
ErnieSC
Established Member

M.O.C. #33461
Peeling Faux Leather.

We don't have as much Faux Leather in our Montana 3910FB as do you but our Double Theater Seats started to peel at top. My Wife is very crafty. (But
enough about our marriage!) Anyhow, she went to Amazon and bought a Roll of Shagoom Leather repair. She made a little paper pattern since the part that was peeling had an Arch in it. She then used the pattern to cut the Faux Leather. After that, the Faux Leather has a "Peel Off" backing exposing the glue. She pressed the leather on the back of the seats and Voila, you couldn't see the patch unless you knew where to look - and then one have to look very closely.
Comes in all different size rolls and colors. Wife said there are instructions on Youtube if I didn't explain enough. Ours still looks great a year later. If you're tight with money like she is, it may take a while to do all yours but we had rather camp than spend any more money on repair and replacements than necessary. (Plus she's more creative and competent than am I in fixing anything. And we've been married 56+ Years!)
Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juudede View Post
Despite our best diligence to maintain our 2017 Montana High Country 375FL, we bought new in 2017, the flaking faux leather is falling off like tissue paper everywhere. This model has so much, furniture (theater seats replaced 4 years ago) sofas, window cornices and sides, bed headboard, and entrance doors top trims. Resale value is probably in the pits.

Bedroom heat pump/AC just had to be replaced. We are very disappointed with the quality of the Montana.

Unfortunately we traded a 2005 Sunline TT for this in 2017. That Sunline was as perfect as the day it left the showroom. Quality is no longer a priority.
ErnieSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 10:30 PM   #9
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juudede View Post

The pealing faux leather seems to happen to most people that have it after about 3 years, often sooner than that. Obviously, I had it happen to us. After pricing replacement furniture of similar construction we found a company on line with real leather that was within 3 inches length as what we had. Surprisingly, it was only about $200-300 more than the faux leather replacement, for this real leather, and electric recline. So far after a little more than a year I’m thrilled with this theater recliner. Check out Theaterseating.com. Comes in pieces and easily fits through your RV door. No more pealing. Great comfort. If I remember right, its a 5 year warranty. There is no real fix for this faux leather pealing crap. They all do it. Only real fix is cloth or real leather. There have been a few other posts from folks that bought the same theater seating from the same company and are happy they did. I highly recommend them.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote