Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2022, 06:56 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Question for those with Phone Boosters?

Although we've had very few hick-ups with our Visible phone and internet access, we have landed in a few places were the signal (Verison) was very poor. Our computers worked OK, but streaming over our Roku television buffered so much, it made watching anything horrible.

Sometimes our AT&T phones with internet also had the same problem. Some places just have very poor service.

So, we decided to try a weboost Drive Reach RV Cell Signal Booster. Had it shipped to the house from Best Buy (since we've been on the road for some time now).

We returned home yesterday and after settling down, decided to tackle the weboost. Everything went very well.

Granted at home, we have good cell phone reception, both with our Visible and AT&T, but at least I was able to get it all set up.

Today, we are going on a road trip (Indiana), and taking everything with us to set up in a couple of our favorite state parks that had very poor phone reception and see if it makes any difference. (trailer at home, just a road trip)

OK, so now the question. Yes, we are going to use this thing, that is not the question. The question, for anyone who has added booster to your RVing arsenal, how did you run the antenna wire into the camper?

Here's the problem. First, the outside antenna wire is only 25 feet long. The weboost system is basically designed for the outside antenna to attach to the roof ladder (which we have). The problem is, the roof ladder is in the very rear of the trailer and the living room is all the way in the front. So, it's basically got to come into the camper near the front.

Mounting the antenna will be no problem either. I'm going to build a base that will sit on the roof, heavy enough the wind won't blow it around or blow it over. Then a short pole with the antenna will go in that hole. When traveling, the entire thing will come down.

But, I still have a question on how to get the wire inside the camper.

I watched the video's supplied by weboost and they show sliding the wire between the slide seals and wall. Um .... that just does not look well to me at all. All I can see is a worn spot on the seals from the slides moving in and out over time, or shoving the wire through, potentially tearing up the rubber. Of course, I can always simply put the wire through the window. But then the window would never be completely shut. That's not so good in rain, plus the screen is up slightly letting in bugs.

As a temporary experiment, just to see if everything is working, I slipped the wire though the window. But I don't like it that way.

So, if anyone has run a wire (either an antenna, a booster, or something else), how did you get the wire inside the camper?

Just an FYI, this is the one we got: weboost Drive Reach RV Cell Signal Booster
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote