Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM   #1
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
New LED tail and clearance lights

I went to our local truck accessory shop and purchased new lighting for the outside of the trailer. I didn't like the lack of visibility and the lenses falling off. Having had trucks for years I know how the stock lights will be after a year or two.
The new lights are very bright, far easier to see both for me and other drivers. Most of all much less maintenance. I wish Keystone would raise their prices a couple hundred dollars and do it from the factory.

Mark

Old 06-23-2016, 06:24 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One of the problems of not having dedicated dealers. Folks buy the cheapest rig on the lot that looks the same. Think they got a good deal until they find out how the money was saved. Usually the first learning is when a tire goes.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 06:41 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Some current SOB's in the same price range as Montanas are sporting LED tail lights and some even clearance lights as well.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:30 AM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Lenses falling off???? now that's a new one 6 years of fulltiming and never had one fall off... weird
Old 06-23-2016, 07:37 AM   #5
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I had never had a tire failure with the Trailer King tires either but they aren't on there anymore..weirder

Mark
Old 06-23-2016, 08:13 AM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
bigskyjimmy ... I'll row in your boat a while on this subject as well. In 18+ years of owning RV's, I've not had any exterior light failure or maintenance issue other than 2 burnt out bulbs (one was a scare light). Today's flavor is LED's so bright some make your eyes hurt (a pet peeve of mine) so we need to get with the program I reckon. I'm not trying to extinguish the enthusiasm of the OP's personal choice ... I'm just at ease with Edison's invention for now.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:31 AM   #7
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I've got 13 of em. You guys can split em'.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #8
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Clearance lights still old amp-suckers, but only because other stuff keeps happening to deflect my attention. I didn't wait on the led tails when my others rusted after a couple of years plus...even ditched the clear backup lights and made them tail/turn/stop to make sure all the crazy drivers knew I was braking during the day. Led clearance lights great for rainy or hazy days and still on the list...right after replacing attic vents and stove vent done in by hail, pin box that is no longer quiet and chucking like all-get-out, and the new residental kitchen faucet the wife wants installed. John
Old 06-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #9
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
After seeing where you live Mark I am not to far away from ya on the Oregon coast and the roads are a little rough over here on HWY 101 last year On the Oregon Coast I had a Pantry shelf fall down Maybee this year it's time for the Lenses so Maybee I'll have to take you up on your offer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MARK A

I've got 13 of em. You guys can split em'.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Ya,101 can be kind of a booger in places. My last outing was to Lakeview, and the road across the desert from LaPine to Lakeview will sure shake your beers.. Nothing broken or moved but holy cow.

Mark
Old 06-24-2016, 06:13 AM   #11
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
I've replaced the tail/stop/turn lights with much brighter LED versions. I also want to put a 60 inch long stop/turn light strip (commonly used on truck tailgates) under the back window as an additional safety measure. I really don't care about clearance lights, as I seldom, seldom move in the dark.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #12
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I too want to put the 60" strips on the rig. Already replaced the stop/turn lIfghts and removed the backup. Put stop and turn in there also. Love to put a turn light somewhere on the sides at about the wheels so that drivers beside me can see that I am about to turn. I just mite get a wild hair and replace the clearance lights also???
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:34 PM   #13
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
This was my light of choice. Direct replacement size wise and has 2 wires. So many of the lights I saw were 1 wire using a screw/strap for a ground. No bueno on fiberglass.
Was an easy fix.

http://www.truckchrome.com/product_d...7&s=69&id=1757

Mark
Old 08-16-2016, 07:29 AM   #14
kenneth e holman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18819
I replaced my tail lights also with led's. Also replaced the back-up lights with led's for two tail-light brake-lights on each side. A rear end collision could sure ruin a vacation. Bought my tail-lights from Napa. Had to use dremmel tool to make hole slightly larger to fit new led's. Not to concerned about clearance lights as i don't drive at night except on my first morning leaving home on trip.
kenneth e holman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #15
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I too was worried about the rear lights. I found these on Etrailer and put them on the rig. They are higher and more inline with driver's of sUVs, crossovers and trucks. They are stop/tail/turn lights and are very bright. Also, did you notice your standard tail lights have a black background? I took off my lenses and put true silver duct tape behind the bulbs and made them a good bit brighter. I also bought LED bulbs from Amazon and changed out every marker and clearance bulb.
[/URL][/img]
Old 08-16-2016, 10:00 AM   #16
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
First thing I replaced was clearance lights taillights and backup lights with led then went inside and changed all the bulbs inside to led.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote