Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2024, 06:06 AM   #1
FredLueck

M.O.C. #33936

Fred and Sandy Lueck, Lake Havasu City, Arizona. We just purchased a 2023 34 ft. 5th Wheel Montana High Country. Now getting it ready to hit the road in the spring around Arizona for awhile to get the hang of the machine. I’m now searching for checklists for hooking up and unhooking as well as ideas and ground rules for campsites.

Montana High Country 5th Wheel
2024 2500HD Duramax diesel

FredLueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 06:55 AM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Fred and Sandy,

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new rig. We are having the Western Spring Rally in Camp Verde in Apr.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 08:21 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Welcome to the MOC. What model did you get? 295RL?
Old 02-09-2024, 08:38 AM   #4
desertdog
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #33254
Welcome, wish you many years of enjoyment with the new rig. I love mine. Checklists are great, I use one for Packing inside, underneath, and hooking up/unhooking. Of course these lists are dependent on several factors, length of trip, boondocking, resort, or both. Time of year and other factors... I created mine over time, and still refine it every now and then.

2015 Montana 3402 RL.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L HO DRW 50 gal GT
desertdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:01 PM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Welcome aboard Fred & Sandy. Our very first trip in our trailer was to your city of Havasu. Enjoy that new trailer and use it often.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 04:07 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Welcome to MOC.
We are glad you are here.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 04:46 PM   #7
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
Everyone’s check list is different this is mine.
Hook up
Before pulling in get out and check area for trees, tables, where water, power and swear is at. Check area where slide will be.
Once pulled in block wheels, unhook from truck and, level camper.
Check inside for anything that may have moved while traveling
Make sure all faucets are off
Main breaker off
Now go outside
Hook up water plug in power
Back inside turn on main breaker
Put out slides
Enjoy

As for what is needed think of the camper as your home. What you use at home is what you need in the camper. I keep a list of food items as we use it I check it off so I know it needs to be replaced.
Leaving
I reverse the process. Empty and flush tanks
Turn off main breaker
Shut water off
Bring in slide
Store water hose and power cord.
Hook up truck remove tire chocks
Do one more walk around and you are ready to leave

Hopes this helps
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 06:09 AM   #8
FredLueck

M.O.C. #33936
Thanks for letting us know about the rally. We have a bunch going on at that time but in the future for sure. Thanks, Fred and Sandy
Old 02-10-2024, 06:12 AM   #9
FredLueck

M.O.C. #33936
Thanks for the info as it all helps. Going a bit crazy looking at all of the u tube videos outlining what to do along with the neighborhood putting in suggestions. Believe were getting more and more comfortable with the process and your's helps.
Regards, Fred and Sandy
Old 02-10-2024, 06:18 AM   #10
FredLueck

M.O.C. #33936
Same model for us but a 2023 which was new in the lot. Pleased so far... I'll have to add to my info.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:34 AM   #11
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The best thing you can do is to actually use your new camper and get familiar with it. Yes, it will take you some time to get into a rhythm and the best way to do that is to practice in your own drive way. If you can't do that, then start by taking short trips to local campgrounds or state parks.

Every time you go "go out" you'll learn something new. Eventually, you'll have your own "check list" that works for you. And you'll have your own specific order to set things up and to break camp.

The more you do it, the easier it gets and you gain confidence until, eventually, it's simply no big deal any more. It takes about a year to get comfortable with a new camper ... everything from towing, to setting up camp, to breaking camp, to customizing your camper, and to know it's strengths and it weaknesses. Also, the style of camping you do makes a difference too: boondocking, full hook up, electric only, private campgrounds, state parks, federal parks, Corp of Engineer Parks, resorts, or even grandma's driveway. Then, camping in all 4 seasons of the year, especially that first time you camp in snow, is a REAL learning experience!

In time, you'll get it! You'll be an "old hat" at it, and you'll love the lifestyle.

Keep reading these forums, keep watching the youtube videos, but you can read and watch for ever. The REAL learning happens when you do it yourself!

Good luck! Welcome to the forums, and Happy Camping.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 09:47 AM   #12
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I'd suggest going to a local park and camping for the weekend. Gives you a safe way to begin. Also, we bought our latest (current) rig in July in PHX. It supposedly had better insulation, etc than our 2006 previous model.
Went to park around 4 pm. Temps were around 115 or so. Turned on air and went to supper. Home about 7 pm. I think inside was still 95-100. Went to a movie and came back at 10 pm. Temp was WAY down to 85! lol.
Went swimming until 11 or so and still at 80+. Pulled out hide-a-bed in LR, opened the down vents in the AC and slept right under the AC. Finally around 2 am I had to put a sheet over me.
That was all I needed. I ordered a BR AC and had it installed in 5-6 days and then after a couple more we took off for 3 months to the annual Rally in Goshen. Then on the way I noticed 2 slides opening about 3 inches after 200 miles or so. Kept putting them back ever few hours on the way. took to Lippert in Goshen after the rally and they didn't even test - just installed 2 new cylinders. On the way around noon that day.
Sooo, a short trip may teach you what you need to add, etc and be a learning experience. OH, if you plan on seeing AZ a lot this summer, I strongly recommend a BR A/C unit. One AC takes a long time to cool off the rig when traveling all day.
Good luck.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:35 PM   #13
ErnieSC
Established Member

M.O.C. #33461
Main things on list for setting up.
Water:
Hot on Left.