Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Clark Canyon Marina Campground, Montana

Here's a notice from the local newspaper in Dillon (Montan): "The Clark Canyon Marina Campground will be open to the public beginning June 1, and remain open through the end of September. The campground will feature approximately 30 campsites with full service, including electricity, water, and sewer hookups. An RV dump station will also be available to the public. Fees at the Marina Complex are:

Full service RV site, $20/day
Electricity only site, $15/night
Campsite only (no hookups), $8/night
RV dump station, $5/per use

Clark Canyon Reservoir also has 6 additional campgrounds for basic camping, all located around the reservoir for public use with no fees. For more information, call Jon Hoerning at 406-683-6472."

Clark Canyon Reservoir is located right on I-15, about 20 miles south of Dillon, Montana. If you're traveling between Idaho Falls, Idaho and Dillon, Montana, you go right by it. It sits in part of the beautiful Beaverhead Valley, surrounded by mountains and wildlife. The fishing in the lake is always good, and the Beaverhead River, a nationally-recognized Blue Ribbon trout stream is literally just steps away from the reservoir.

The Marina Campground hasn't been open for years because of the severe drought we've had, but things are getting back to normal, and we've just had one of the wettest winters on record,which will really help the water levels in the area. The snowpack is also deeper than it's been since I can remember. As a result, the reservoir is looking good! In addition to kayaking and fishing there, we also like to go to the reservoir "beaches" for swimming, playing with the dogs, etc. For more information, you can go to the web site below:

http://www.go-montana.com/Clark-Canyon-Reservoir

One more thing: We live on the back side of the reservoir, towards Grant. There's nothing between our house and the shore except wildlife management area. So, if you stop by Clark Canyon Reservoir, give us a head's up--we'd love to give you a personal welcome to our part of the valley! (We will be gone most of June to take care of some things in Texas, but after that, we plan to do nothing but sit on our front deck and watch the action on the reservoir (when we're not part of that action).

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I probably shouldn't reveal my fishing spot on the reservoir, but I've put a photo of it and of two of my three fish below. The water was so still and clear that we could see the trout crusing the banks, and that's exactly where we caught all our fish. The smallest rainbow we kept was was the one photographed with the measuring tape, about 17" long. The one I'm holding, which I caught , was the largest, 22".

Only in Montana: Last Friday, we had 2" of snow on the ground and below-freezing temperatures. Yesterday, it was 78 degrees and sunny!
Carolyn

Old 05-17-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
First, thanks MOC administrator for putting this thread in the right area--Campgrounds. After I posted the original info on Clark Canyon, I realized I'd been a bit quick and should have remembered there was a special area for campgrounds!

Now, for today (Saturday, May 17th) at Clark Canyon--the picture below speaks for itself. We had another great day in the sun, and as I'm writing this, the oven is full of trout filets baking!
Carolyn
Old 05-17-2008, 05:27 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Carolyn, Stop all ready, you are killing me with those pictures. I really want to go there, but not in the plans for this year. Hopefully next year.
Bob

Edit: Spell check, and keep the pictures coming!!!!
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #5
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Too bad you can't get here this year if you like to fish, because the fishing is great! Today, the lower part of the Beaverhead River opened for fishing, and you should have seen the fly rods whipping around.

We hope to have time to go back tomorrow and see if our luck holds.

Carolyn