Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2023, 06:49 PM   #1
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Routing for Trip from White Sands National Park, Eastbound

We are trying to plan a trip from MS out West in the October timeframe and ultimately coming back via White Sands National Park, at Alamogordo, NM. Upon departing, most mapping systems, i.e. google, Rand McNally, etc. show departing traveling East on 82 through the Lincoln National Forest, ultimately to Abilene, Tx then I20 on home.

My question: Since I have never traveled that route, it definitely looks to be traveling through some curvy roads with a 17' tunnel at some point. I am pulling a 40' Montana fiver with a GMC 2500 Duramax.

To drop back down to El Paso and onward to I20E looks to be an extra 250 plus miles. Has anyone pulled the Hwy 82 route with a 40' trailer who has any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 07:52 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Have driven 82 from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft, not towing. And not sure I would want to tow a 40’ up it. US 70 up to Ruidosa to Roswell is a much easier tow. And you end up in pretty much the same area.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
We have travel US 82 with our rig and you can do it. It will be slow. Much of the way the speed limit is 45 mph. (it needs to be.) and slower on many curves.
As BB-TX says, US 70 is a much easier drive.
2015 F350 XLT Crew Dually 20K B&W Companion
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 07:18 PM   #4
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
I've made both routes many, many times. Had a vacation home in Cloudcroft NM (hwy 82) for 25 years. I've traveled both and always used 82 to get where you want to go (travel to Abilene all the time as well). The tunnel is no issue with your trailer, I've passed through it multiple times and semis/log trucks go through it every day.

Hwy 82 is more steep than taking 70 but if you're headed to Abilene it is a more direct route. It is a 6% grade (some of it) from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft (19 miles - the highest point) then you begin the descent toward Artesia. It is not a problem at all for your Duramax and the curves are fine. You don't want to be driving 70mph in them and the terrain prohibits it but it is, to me, by far the prettier, better route. It is 2 lane, 70 is 4 lane until you leave Ruidoso. 82 is scenic, 70 isn't so much. When you leave Ruidoso toward Roswell there's nothing for 70 miles. When you leave Roswell for Tatum ditto. On 82 from Cloudcroft to Artesia it's a fast 2 lane and pretty other than the 20 miles to Mayhill which is still 55mph and pretty. At Artesia the stretch to Hobbs is much like the stretch from Roswell to Tatum on 70. In summation, IMO, 82 is the way to go.

If you are in Alamogordo might look into Boot Hill RV Resort. Stayed there a few times and it's OK. You're in the desert so keep that in mind. While there visit Pistachio Land and get some pistachios (right up the highway). Be careful, the green chili pistachios, which I love, will light you up! They also make some good pistachio brittle. If in Alamo for a couple of days or so run up the hill to Cloudcroft and get some Mad Jack's brisket - from TX and outstanding.

If headed to Abilene we always stay at the Whistle Stop RV park. There are others there along the interstate but we've not been too impressed. Buck Creek RV Park is a little further down the interstate (2-3 miles) and it's OK too.

Don't know where in MS you came from or on what route but if taking I20 back through Shreveport LA/Monroe LA and on the Jackson MS...that is a very rough stretch. Shreveport is terrible and your stuff inside the trailer will probably move around a little...or a lot.

Sorry for the long post but I have made that route a lot for decades and just got back from the I20 trek through the locations mentioned (and on to FL). If you have any questions I might be able to help with you can PM me.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:03 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with sourdough about Shreveport. That stretch of I-20 thru Shreveport and Bossier City is honestly the worst highway I have ever driven on, towing or not. Unless they have made recent improvements I would take I-220 around the north side of Shreveport/BC. Only marginally longer.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 08:33 PM   #6
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I agree with sourdough about Shreveport. That stretch of I-20 thru Shreveport and Bossier City is honestly the worst highway I have ever driven on, towing or not. Unless they have made recent improvements I would take I-220 around the north side of Shreveport/BC. Only marginally longer.

As of April 3 it was as bad, or worse, than it's ever been.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Have driven 82 from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft, not towing. And not sure I would want to tow a 40’ up it. US 70 up to Ruidosa to Roswell is a much easier tow. And you end up in pretty much the same area.
I agree, we always took ours up US70. Actually had a friend in the hospital who dropped a wheel over the pavement and rolled near Cloudcroft.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 01:33 PM   #8
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
We are trying to plan a trip from MS out West in the October timeframe and ultimately coming back via White Sands National Park, at Alamogordo, NM. Upon departing, most mapping systems, i.e. google, Rand McNally, etc. show departing traveling East on 82 through the Lincoln National Forest, ultimately to Abilene, Tx then I20 on home.

My question: Since I have never traveled that route, it definitely looks to be traveling through some curvy roads with a 17' tunnel at some point. I am pulling a 40' Montana fiver with a GMC 2500 Duramax.

To drop back down to El Paso and onward to I20E looks to be an extra 250 plus miles. Has anyone pulled the Hwy 82 route with a 40' trailer who has any advice to offer?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

If you are not in a time crunch - I would advise to head north of Alamogordo, to Valley of Fires National Monument for a couple of days. Then take Hwy 380 east over to Bottomless Lakes SP. You can make reservations for both. You can take 380 east to Texarkana and then south on I49 to I 20. We are heading that way pretty soon, but continuing east from Texarkana. This is a good way to travel, avoiding Dallas mess.
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote