Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #1
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Backup camera ???

I am looking for a back up camera to mount to my 5th wheel that is factory prewired for a camera.

I THINK ??? I want to mount the monitor on my pickup truck rear view mirror. I do not like a lot of clutter on my dash board.

Your thoughts are welcome.

TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:21 AM   #2
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post
I am looking for a back up camera to mount to my 5th wheel that is factory prewired for a camera.

I THINK ??? I want to mount the monitor on my pickup truck rear view mirror. I do not like a lot of clutter on my dash board.

Your thoughts are welcome.
My backup camera has 2 very nice-looking legs and cooks dinner. You can`t see low branches, can`t judge distances, can't see all obstacles, doesn't cook dinner, monitor is always in the way. I`d pass.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 09:29 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The factory prewire is just the 12 volt power. You'll need a bluetooth camera and monitor. There are lots of options. Furrion is widely used.

https://furrion.com/collections/cameras/Vehicle
There are a bazillion options on Amazon. Mostly Chinese.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+backup..._ts-doa-p_1_10

I don't think you're going to find many that mount to your mirror. If it were me, I'd stick with Furrion. Just remember you get what you pay for.
Old 11-24-2023, 10:10 AM   #4
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
After 5 years my Furrion monitor (dash mount type) died. I've not had an opportunity to look at it closer to see if it's fixable, but the monitor is simply dead. I've got 3 cameras on the trailer that don't do nothing now!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:31 AM   #5
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Before you buy I’d recommend test driving on
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:32 AM   #6
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
TenOC - its always best to include your year and model with each post...or edit you signature to show the information and then you don't have to worry about it.

Whatever system you purchase - make sure it has been reviewed and verified by users that have long rigs like ours. My OEM Furrion and the second system I bought by VisionWorks did not have a strong enough signal to provide seamless video while driving. Screen freezing and blacked out/blank monitor screen was what I saw 80% of the time. In 2018 the Furion monitor was NOT an HD screen and the monitor view was terrible evern when it did connect.

The VisionWorks system has a great monitor paired with a sony HD camera that fit my OEM Furion mount. The camera's single antenna did not provide enough signal strength to make it all the way up to the monitor's single antenna to stay connected while driving. It was really bad. I bought the VisonWorks in 2021 from TechnoRV website for ??? ~$350 ???. I think it was normally $399 and I got the Black Friday deal in 2021. I saw a youtube video in March 2023 where VisionWorks had come out with a heavy duty shielded coax 50' "extension cord" that allows me to connect it to the camera on the rear cap + run the coax across the roof to the front of the RV and mount a slightly bigger antenna above the front cap of the RV. They sent it to me for free! I still need to install it and try it out. DW has had some health issues and we have not been out on the road for the past year. This setup work for the youtube guy and his 45' long Grand Design Momentum toy hauler - so I expect it to work for me. I offered to pay VisionWorks for the coax since it was well out of warranty - but the sent it free of charge. Good customer service.

Here is the VisionWorks video from Chad at "Changing Lanes" channel...

Here is another youtube video from a guy that owns a Montana (same model that I have) - Jerry with "I Love RV Life" channel and he uses a Haloview system with two antennas on the monitor...so this one works also! I prefer the small 6" monitor for my VisionWorks system...I don't have very much space on my dash for a bigger monitor.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:37 AM   #7
TenOC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28210
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
My backup camera has 2 very nice-looking legs and cooks dinner. .

I have one with legs and cook also, but she is very little help when passing a car or 18 wheeler on the highway. I thought it would be nice to have one more set of eyes.
TenOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 10:46 AM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Another member here had the screen that mounted on the rear view mirror. He loved it. The wiring fit nicely into the headliner and made for a clean installation on a F450. I can't remember the name of the camera/display system as this was several years ago. I will ping him and see if he remembers.

You have received good advice about signal problems. Mine works fins standing stil or backing up slowly. But it is pixelated or dark 50% of the time going down the road. My previous system had the same problem even with a 40; extension cord on the antenna. I bought this one as they claimed it worked on long RVs. Not so much.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:24 AM   #9
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
I have the furrion and it has work great for me. Has rear, and side cameras and all work great while going down the road.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:49 PM   #10
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Before you buy I’d recommend test driving on
Which one?
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 01:50 PM   #11
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
"My backup camera has 2 very nice-looking legs and cooks dinner. You can`t see low branches, can`t judge distances, can't see all obstacles, doesn't cook dinner, monitor is always in the way. I`d pass."

I couldn't agree more with bshgto. I wouldn't trade the DW for all the backup cameras in the world. Call me old fashioned, but nothing compares to a pair of human eyes along with a pair of walkie talkies or cell phones. Just my two cents.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 06:34 AM   #12
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenOC View Post
I have one with legs and cook also, but she is very little help when passing a car or 18 wheeler on the highway. I thought it would be nice to have one more set of eyes.
My rear-view mirrors solve that issue. Just what drivers need , more distracting devices on the dash to deal with and at night their all but useless.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:04 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I agree, I ditched mine. DW work better. I mean, she's already a distraction so why add another?
Old 11-25-2023, 01:23 PM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Because mine is (was) an observation system, I do (did) use it all the time on the road. The thing I do (did) not like about the Furrion is the fact the monitor shows only 1 camera at a time. Oh, you can touch the screen and display all 3 at the same time (2 sides and rear), but they stay displayed for only about 20 seconds and then it flips back to the primary camera. Actually, I find myself using the drivers side one the most as I am usually in the far right lane.

I say, (was) vs (is) because the dang thing stopped working. Just for an FYI, I ordered a new monitor from Lippert (Furrion) last night. I've decided I do use it when driving a lot more than I give it credit for.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 02:39 PM   #15
Razahoryin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18958
Not knowing your tow vehicle?
I also did not want a loose display on the dash..

I have a 2022 F350 and have installed the ford integrated backup camera on my Monty.
Its integrated into the truck display.
I did have to run the wiring from the truck
To back of trailer and install camera.
So far its been great and no additional
Accessories loose on the dash..
Razahoryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 05:27 PM   #16
mdpcjjjj

M.O.C. #26130
I have had good luck with the Furrion. One on back, and I also have cameras on the side of my Monty. I do NOT recommend the side cameras as I never use them.
I mount the monitor to my rear view mirror with velcro straps adhered to the back of the monitor, and I use two fuzzy velcro straps around the mirror. Sometimes if really bumpy it gets loose, and I have to readjust, but usually works very well.
Pullrite Slider
mdpcjjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 06:50 PM   #17
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
My wife and her cell phone outbeats any backup camera.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2023, 07:23 PM   #18
Ttman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26744
I have the Haloview BT7 system with a rear and two side marker light cameras. It lets you select a number of ways to view the cameras on the 7 inch monitor. They also have a rear view mirror mount, which is how I have my camera monitor set up and it is natural to check the rear view mirror while driving and gives minimal dash/windshield clutter. You can hook up the side and rear cameras to trigger on turn signal and back up lights and it will show that specific camera on the monitor when the turn signal or reverse is used depending on how you wire it up. I find it is nice to give me an idea of traffic when changing lanes, etc. with a 7 inch monitor its not going to give you super precise viewing, but you can see bigger things, and have decent situational awareness while driving. Using them during backing is hit or miss as they give you some view, but I have found objects are closer/farther when viewed in person. They have helped me get things parked when my wife was delayed a couple of days when she couldn’t get away as early as expected and had to drive separately to our camping spot.

Ttman is online now   Reply With Quote