Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2022, 05:29 PM   #1
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
MORYDE steps

I do not like the Moryde steps. The ones that raise into the doorway. The level system often levels the trailer too low for the steps to operate. I have already damaged the door because of them. My question is what else is available? Possibly the old style fold under steps.

shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 05:38 PM   #2
triplebvalp
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26098
Wow, never have had that happen. I always put at least 3" blocks under my jack legs before I start the level process.
Reese M5 - 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 06:33 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Try Glowsteps

https://youtu.be/akt0H2bLkrU

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=82272
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:39 PM   #4
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I put a 5 step set of Glo Step Revolution on our 3160, as the 4 stepper was at it's limits 90% of the time. They present the same problem as the Morryde fold outs by needing space to the side to deploy BUT they stow in the same spot as our old fold up steps. VERY solid. Very happy.

Mark
Old 01-22-2022, 07:48 AM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
I put a 5 step set of Glo Step Revolution on our 3160, as the 4 stepper was at it's limits 90% of the time. They present the same problem as the Morryde fold outs by needing space to the side to deploy BUT they stow in the same spot as our old fold up steps. VERY solid. Very happy.
Mark
I don't have these, but the video looks like if you don't use the extra bottom step it looks about the size of a regular fold up. Is this not true?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:03 AM   #6
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
I'm not sure what you mean, but they do come outward probably just as far.
But the bottom step has legs that must contact the ground, or they're just,well, an accident.

Mark
Old 01-22-2022, 09:12 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Couple things that might help. First, 'always' make sure the steps are up before doing anything with the jacks, raising or lowering the trailer.

When we set up camp, we have a rule. The door does not even open until the trailer is set up and jacks deployed. Same with breaking camping. Everything is completely done inside and outside the camper when leaving. Steps are up, doors are even locked. Now, the jacks retract, hitch, and the very last step is to unplug shore power.

Another tip (second), if you park on a incline, either front to back, or back to front, park the camper so when the steps are extended, the feet are actually off the pad. Especially if the pad is concrete or asphalt. This way, the feet are actually touching the ground and now it's pretty simple to dig a hole for the feet of the camper to go into. When I've done this in the past, if the steps actually come out on grass and not dirt or gravel, I dig the grass out so when we leave I can put the grass back over the hole, AFTER I've filled the hole back in. When leaving, I never leave a hole. It's always filled back in.

On the other hand, if the slope makes the trailer too high and the steps won't even reach the ground, then no matter what type of steps you have, there is a point where even the best won't reach and they dangle in the air.

When that happens, you've just got to build up and support the step, and then go mountain climbing. But, again, no matter what kind of step, every step will only extend so far and then they dangle in the air.

To help eliminate this problem, I purchased 2 extra feet extensions. I ordered them through Moryde and got the longest ones they had. Now, when the standard ones are still too short I can swap them out very easy for the longer ones, and then simply use a stationary folding step on the ground for another step.

However, if you camp at Indiana State Parks, you can expect eventually to run into a campsite where even the long extension are too short. Here's a photo of one such site we were on a couple years ago.

We have 2 doors, and the front door is closer to the front of the trailer, and the rear door is on the opposite side, near the rear of the trailer. So, with a 41 foot fifth wheel, even a slight slope makes a huge difference in the ground clearance one the trailer is level. In this situation, the rear door wood not reach the ground, and the front door, I had to dig a hole about 6 inches. But this worked. (And NO! Moving to a different campsite was NOT an option!)

Normal: Rear door:

Normal: Front door:

Bad slope, not only was the pad sloped front to back, (rear low), the ground off the asphalt sloped sharply down hill. This is the solution. At least the steps were not dangling in air, they were supported. I used both sets of legs together, and surprising, it's actually pretty solid:

Here's another shot of the same campsite. That step ladder is a 4 foot step ladder to give you a perspective of how sloped the pad was and the surrounding ground around the pad.

Here's the same campsite on the front side of the camper where I had to dig a hole for the front steps to lower properly. As you can tell, the pad itself was pretty narrow. I had to study this out pretty well before backing in so make sure I could get both sets of steps on both sides of the camper to open and still be able to close the doors and not hurt the doors. As you can imagine though, while there, we did not use the back door. We didn't want to do the mountain climbing experience. I think this campsite was Brown County State Park in Indiana. We were parked on the "Ridge.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #8
Bladescb
Established Member

M.O.C. #29195
We also have the Glo-step on our RV. First installed them on our Jayco321RSTS but transferred them to our Montana before we sold the Jayco. Very sturdy step. Very adjustable. Stows in the same compartment as the OEM step. No dumping sand or water into RV when stowing. No need to really worry about being to close to something when deploying steps. A little costly, but well worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_150502.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	11073   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200512_150528.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	11074  

2016 Montana 3710FL
2018 Ford F350 SRW
Bladescb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:30 AM   #9
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I've heard nothing but good things about the Glo-Step. But the real problem is, if your camper does not have the compartment for original fold-under steps, there's nowhere to fold the Glo-Steps up. You'll have to make an opening under the door, which might be a bit of a challenge. Nothing is impossible, it's just metal and wood and with enough time, talent and money, anything can be done.

My Montana does not have the outside compartment under the doors. Nor is there any support or framing behind that J-panel directly under the door to build one. It would be a major undertaking with a good welder to create the hole for folded steps to fit.

That's the only limitation I see with Glo-Steps.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I don't think any steps would work at this site. Friends house in Sasketchakan!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2211.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	11077  

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:51 AM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I've heard nothing but good things about the Glo-Step. But the real problem is, if your camper does not have the compartment for original fold-under steps, there's nowhere to fold the Glo-Steps up. You'll have to make an opening under the door, which might be a bit of a challenge. Nothing is impossible, it's just metal and wood and with enough time, talent and money, anything can be done.

My Montana does not have the outside compartment under the doors. Nor is there any support or framing behind that J-panel directly under the door to build one. It would be a major undertaking with a good welder to create the hole for folded steps to fit.

That's the only limitation I see with Glo-Steps.
Ah but Glow-Step does have a model (the Uprising model) which easily installs into the doorway of your RV and is designed specifically for trailers and towables that no longer have a step well from the factory, replacing your current doorway steps.

https://www.torklift.com/rv/glowstep...ution-uprising

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:41 PM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Ah but Glow-Step does have a model...
Well, THAT'S nice!
Old 01-23-2022, 08:30 AM   #13
Arkware
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17723
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Well, THAT'S nice!
They are really great.
No hole digging needed. 😉
Arkware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #14
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by shovelhead86 View Post
I do not like the Moryde steps. The ones that raise into the doorway. The level system often levels the trailer too low for the steps to operate. I have already damaged the door because of them. My question is what else is available? Possibly the old style fold under steps.
I would gladly trade my glow steps for the MorRyde ,if I knew what to do with the hole it would leave . We must be in the minority here ,I see most like them .

It seems no matter which way I adjust ,they are either slopped down ,or up ,can't get them as level as I would like. I could probably benefit adding a step, mine are four steps .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 AM   #15
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I would gladly trade my glow steps for the MorRyde ,if I knew what to do with the hole it would leave . We must be in the minority here ,I see most like them .

It seems no matter which way I adjust ,they are either slopped down ,or up ,can't get them as level as I would like. I could probably benefit adding a step, mine are four steps .
MorRyde makes a storage box that goes in place of you foldout steps. I was looking at the box and steps on our previous camper, but then we ended up trading for a new one.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:39 AM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDDilly View Post
MorRyde makes a storage box that goes in place of you foldout steps. I was looking at the box and steps on our previous camper, but then we ended up trading for a new one.
Thanks ,yes a friend mentioned that , I had forgotten . No fan of those glow steps , my wife preferred the old fold down suspended steps that was on our 2008 Montana, I did too. I may try going an extra step on the glow steps ,see if that will work ,its almost in-between needing an extra step ,and not .

My wife says it's not so much the slope of the steps ,as it is that aluminum color ,its to her a bit of an illusion ,as where those painted black look better to the eye when walking down them ,sounds a little crazy ,but that's how they appear to her . To me I just don't care for them . Tempted to paint them a satin black, or maybe those carpet covers .
Old 01-25-2022, 04:17 AM   #17
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
You could cover most of the tread with grip tape. It comes in various widths. I had to replace some on our dogs' ramp, so I ordered the kind you would use on a skateboard. It was 18 inches wide and a roll 10 feet long.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:23 AM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
You could cover most of the tread with grip tape. It comes in various widths. I had to replace some on our dogs' ramp, so I ordered the kind you would use on a skateboard. It was 18 inches wide and a roll 10 feet long.
Thanks ,I will take a look at that .
Old 01-25-2022, 10:37 AM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Not sure on the new ones, but on our 2017 the mounting for the traditional steps was still there under the tin foil. We didn't want the Moryde steps because both of our home bases have porches so we had the dealer get a kit from Keystone and install the old style steps before we would take the trailer.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 03:51 PM   #20
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post

Definitely give the add a step a chance before changing. Ours was the same way, either a huge step out of the trailer or the steps were slanted. The 5th step cured everything and afforded me more flexibility and adjustments.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote