Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 07:38 AM   #1
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Speaking of fuel costs...

Anyone bought diesel lately?
Having recently arrived at our current location, I decided last week that I should top off the tanks as I was watching crude prices climb.
Checked gas buddy and three places nearby were all priced at $3.89. Got to the first place and a tanker was there unloading, and the price had jumped to $3.99. Went a mile down the road and to the second station and the price on the sign was still good but at the pump it was also $3.99. The third place across the street was still good and the pump hadn't jumped yet, so I quickly got the nosel in the tank and filled her up.
Fast forward two days and drove by the same place and it was now $4.19. Drove by yesterday and OMG, it's now $4.79. Across the street it's now $4.39 and I've seen one place at $4.99. Usually every station around (and there are many) are all within a nickel but now prices are all over the place.
Only bright side is my Exxon stock is soaring. Fortunately, we're parked for the next six months.

Old 03-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If it keeps going the way it's going, you're going to have to cash in those stocks so you can buy fuel.
Old 03-07-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Anyone else wondering if they're using the current crisis to push up the price of fuel in hope of increasing Electric Vehicle sales??
Old 03-07-2022, 09:08 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Anyone else wondering if they're using the current crisis to push up the price of fuel in hope of increasing Electric Vehicle sales??
I wouldn`t put it past them for one minute. It`s either that or the oil companies see the writing on the wall and are trying to make as much money as possible before they start losing money from the lack of sales on the horizon.
Why isn`t there Rotella on the shelves?
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
Old 03-07-2022, 10:31 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Where we are, even the same brand of stations have different pricing in different parts of town.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:25 PM   #6
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Just saying!

The price of gas is so bad..I went into a station and asked for $5.00 worth of gas and the clerk farted and gave me a receipt!

(In Saskatchewan Canada)

The local Flying J is selling diesel at $1.789 per liter which equals $6.779 per US gallon. Reg gas is $1.689 per liter or $6.399 per US gallon.
The Flying J's prices are basically $.10 per liter higher for gas and $.17 per liter higher for diesel than most other stations so I won't fill up there.
Old 03-07-2022, 03:41 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Please refrain from any political comment or this thread will be closed.

Old 03-07-2022, 03:48 PM   #8
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Oil prices hit $130 this morning before it pulled back. Gasoline prices are going up and they it’s not much anybody can do about it. The people I feel for are the ones that are just getting by, the families and now they have this addition cost. As for me I can pay the price or stay at home.
Lynwood
Old 03-07-2022, 04:18 PM   #9
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I wonder how high it will go? I got curious wondering what the price of oil did back in 2008. The Googles took me to this article, and at the bottom of the article there is a chart showing historic oil prices back to 1970. In 2008 oil got up to $127 per barrel In July. I have compulsively kept records on my fuel purchases for a long time (it’s a sickness!) and on July 20, 2008 I paid $4.959 for diesel at the Weir Store Valero down the street. The Googles says $4.95 in 2008 is the same as $6.47 adjusted to 2022 prices. I guess we need to buckle up for the ride.

https://www.thebalance.com/oil-price-history-3306200
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Old 03-07-2022, 10:09 PM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-08-2022, 06:23 AM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t think oil producing countries are trying to get people to buy EVs. That is kinda counterproductive.
Lynwood
Old 03-08-2022, 06:29 AM   #12
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Here in central Indiana, as of yesterday, diesel is consistently running $1.05 more than Regular Gas. Makes me wonder how long the "big rigs" will stay running up and down the roads before they are making a negative profit. Big-Rig Truckers are the ones who I'm sure are feeling it the most. We who travel with our RV have options, to stay, go, or sell out. And it really doesn't affect our livelihood all that much. But those guys driving the big trucks? Oh my. This is their life and their income. Interesting times are definitely, not future ... they are here NOW!

There is a positive to the rising gas prices. (at least for me). Because I've seen the price of fuel increasing over the last 3 months or so, I had to cut back on my expenses somewhere. Believe it or not, we decided to cut back on our food consumption. Eliminating a LOT of junk food, ice creams, candies, chocolates, donughts and eating out. Eating smarter, wiser, watching the "Carb" intake, selecting better cuts of meats, getting away form the pre-processed foods, and all of that, well.....

Not only has it helped cut back on our living expenses, which DOES give us more $$$ for rising costs of fuel .... I've also lost 35 pounds by changing my eating habits and ways.

Every time I go tot he grocery store now, I think, .... hum ... that box of cereal is the same cost as 1/2 gallon of diesel. At 10 mpg towing that trailer... that means if I buy that box of cereal, I can drive 5 miles less towing the trailer.

REALLY!
Old 03-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #13
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Anyone seen the recent dollar limit on purchases on credit cards? That was a problem in 2008. I think the limit was around $125 the last time I noticed recently. Going way back there was a 10 gallon limit probably in 1979! Travel plans on next trip is mostly off the interstates.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 03-08-2022, 06:54 AM   #14
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
... in 2008. I think the limit was around $125 ... there was a 10 gallon limit probably in 1979! ....
I think those decision were made by the gas stations, not the credit card companies. If I remember right, in both of those time frames, "they" claimed there was an actual gas shortage. Fact or fiction back then, people were hording fuel. This was the about the only way they could keep some kind of supply available for everyone. Think of the toilet paper shortage 2 years ago?

It was only after all the toilet paper shelves were completely empty that individual grocery stores limited purchasing toilet paper to one package only.

I don't think there is a "shortage" of fuel right now. I think other issues are driving up costs ... issues we can't take about on this forum. But still, regardless of the reason, placing limits WILL keep people from hording fuel again, keeping availability for everyone.
Old 03-08-2022, 07:03 AM   #15
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Anyone bought diesel lately?.
Yes, yesterday. $115 got me exactly a half tank. $4.799/gal
Old 03-08-2022, 07:37 AM   #16
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Here in S Idaho a week ago diesel was averaging around $3.65 and regular was $3.45.. in the last 7 days diesel is now averaging $4.65 and regular is $4.19.. All truck stops on I84 are currently $5.05 for diesel...

Over in eastern Idaho along I85, I15 the Diesel fuel is a little less high in some towns at around $4.25 to $4.32
Old 03-08-2022, 09:20 AM   #17
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Oil prices are largely influenced by commodities traders who trade futures. The current price spikes are because there is fear in the energy markets. Traders, like always, are "guessing" what the future will look like and they believe (rightly or wrongly) that there will be actual energy shortages. Right now there are not any shortages... and Alberta has the ability to ship enough oil to make up for the oil that Russia ships to the US and has proposed steps to make that happen.

Politicians and political policies, big oil companies, or actual supply and demand have far less influence on energy prices than the traders; despite popular opinions on the subject. Anyone who blames price spikes on gov or big oil is naive and trying to find simplistic answers to a far more complex puzzle.

To support that, when a barrel of oil went to -$37/bbl, why did we not get a refund for buying gas, or at least get free gas? For the answer, go back to the first sentence. No oil company got paid to take tanker loads of oil, just like no oil company can artificially jack up the prices of oil; otherwise they would not have suffered through the last 7 years of industry downturn.

Uncertainty creates higher levels of fear, and that is what is driving these high prices, just like it always does in all markets, including the energy sector. (btw, it is also a key driver in why foodstuffs inflation is so high). I don't see the uncertainty ending, so I believe we are in for a continued bumpy ride until it does.

Brad
Old 03-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #18
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Uncertainty creates higher levels of fear, and that is what is driving these high prices, just like it always does in all markets, ....

Brad
You hit the nail right on the head! Fear! Fear has been paralyzing planet Earth since Adam and Eve. That's why I quit watching and listening to the news, watching internet videos about world events. and searching out if this side of the opinion is correct or that side is the correct opinion. It's mind boggling and does nothing but create fear. Unfortunately, the news coverage has always centralized on the hysteria, the emotional, the fear because those types of stories sell news. Stories about relationships that last for 50 years, or someone getting an award for being a good citizen is just not sensationalism. So, even if there is no real truth to the matter, news media will create a way to make it sensationalism, and fear is the absolute best way. It's like a drug, the more fearful people get, the more addicted they get to figure out how to find safety and protect themselves and will do absolutely anything told them, as long as it means they will be safe. When in reality, there was absolutely nothing to be concerned about to begin with. Fear! It's today's drug of choice.

I quit watching the news a couple years ago. I just go with the tide now. I have no more heartburn, no more headaches, no more stress, I'm enjoying life again, I'm happy, my world is peaceful, and life REALLY is good! Eh, what's the most that can happen? When people have money, they truly believe money is the answer to everything, and you just never have enough of it. But you know, sometimes, ending up homeless on the street, sleeping under a bridge sounds pretty good. After all, THAT would be a pretty good camping experience, wouldn't it? To be materialistic free of everything this world THINKS is important and essential?
Old 03-08-2022, 03:45 PM   #19
Salineriverman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29050
That’s one way to look at it! Guess we’ll all pay for fuel regardless of the price if we want to travel.
Let’s all stay positive and thank God we’re blessed to live in the USA.
Old 03-08-2022, 05:21 PM   #20
joe direnzi
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20983
Gas prices blame oil companies greed

Right now there are 900 open permits in US.American companies could drill if they wanted.
.Maybe we should start looking whos to blame and stop taking the easy excuse out.Btw drilling in US doesnt mean we keep that oil.It goes to highest bidder.Mostly China🤦*♂️
Closed Thread