Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Anderson hitch

Want to add an auxiliary tank to my yet to be received RAM 3500 short box. Anybody have an Anderson hitch that could give me the measurement from the front of the hitch to the bulkhead? The tank I want is 19" deep, will I have room? If I just could get them to move the bloody thing from SLC to my dealer, I could measure it myself. Thanks for any information.

Old 12-04-2021, 12:16 AM   #2
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
This should help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Andersen Dimensions.PNG
Views:	46
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	10712  
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #3
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
I already have the hitch, what I'm lacking is the truck. Hence the need to know how much space I have in front of the hitch with the RAM puck system and the hitch in place in a short bed RAM in which to place an auxiliary fuel tank.
Old 12-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Ah, sorry, I can't help with that. My truck is older and without a puck system.
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #5
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Well if you had a new Chevy I could give you that measurement in a second.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by glb1950 View Post
Want to add an auxiliary tank to my yet to be received RAM 3500 short box. Anybody have an Anderson hitch that could give me the measurement from the front of the hitch to the bulkhead? The tank I want is 19" deep, will I have room? If I just could get them to move the bloody thing from SLC to my dealer, I could measure it myself. Thanks for any information.

I see you mention short box, but dually , I am assuming then a Megacab dually ?, that would be a short box. If so then to the center of the puck that you attach the Andersen its 35" to the front of the cab on my 2014 Ram Megacab , minus the 14" in the picture given on the measurements of the Andersen you will have 21" . I am assuming the 2022 Ram has not changed on their bed lengths .

Although that was measuring at the bottom of the bed to the center of the puck , the 35", if measured from the top where the bed flares at the top you will lose a couple inches , so its pretty close to that 19" you will have left ,unless that tank is only about 14" or less high , then it will sit back in tight against the bed that's about where the taper starts 14" from the bottom of the bed . Hope that makes sense .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Happy Trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Be careful on adding an Anderson hitch to your unit before checking on it with your dealer, Keystone and Lippert/LCI. From what my dealer told us was that they had received a memo from Keystone and Lippert/LCI that if any unit came in with frame flex or frame damage and the owner was using an Anderson hitch the frame warranty was null and void and would not be covered under the warranty. The only gooseneck hitch that is approved by Keystone and Lippert/LCI is the Reese hitch. Why I don't know but this is what my dealer has told us.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:29 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
I have a 2022 GMC 3500HD, DRW's, with an 8 foot bed and the 2021 Montana 3762BP. I have the Puck system with The Trailer Save Air Ride 5th wheel hitch. The Better Built transfer tank tool box combo is 31'5" from the front toward the rear of the tank/tool box, the Trailer saver is 13" from the tank/tool box. I have no issues at all. Just make sure when you install the puck system, you adjust the system properly, if it is to loose it will make bumping noise. I think the Puck system on Ford and Ram is much easier to adjust. As for the Anderson hitch I have no idea about measurements. Good Luck.

Happy Trails.
You are talking apples ,and oranges here, this a Ram short bed , not a long bed Chev . Not sure what you are trying to say or your point , the puck system is much easier to adjust ????????

There is no adjustment on my puck system, its a fixed system, welded to the frame. I suppose if you were installing a puck system ,not having a factory installed system you could adjust a bit when installing .Sure sounds like the OP has the factory puck system . You may want to clarify what you are trying to say .
Old 12-04-2021, 12:22 PM   #10
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Greg,

As Rondo mentioned, there was a memo from Keystone earlier this year that Lippert will no longer warranty any frame or pinbox issues when using any hitch that needs an "adapter" on the pinbox. The actual memo was posted here on the forum in about Feb or March of this year.
So, the new policy from Lippert means that Keystone/Montana will also not warranty any issues that may arise.
This will affect the Anderson hitches, as well as any others that require an adapter on the pinbox.

We loved our Anderson and used it for over 30,000 miles on our last unit. But, we sold it and had the dealer install a Reese Goosebox. Not exactly cheap, but I really like it. It replaces the pinbox and has an air ride and shock absorber built in. It really does work well, and I also really like that now in my box all I need is my goose ball and chain attachments - no hitch in the bed at all!

Some have continued to use their Anderson hitches, but I see that you have a new Montana and getting a new truck. So make sure you are comfortable with potential warranty claim issues if you want to continue to use your AUH.

hth,
Brad
Old 12-04-2021, 02:01 PM   #11
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Greg,

As Rondo mentioned, there was a memo from Keystone earlier this year that Lippert will no longer warranty any frame or pinbox issues when using any hitch that needs an "adapter" on the pinbox. The actual memo was posted here on the forum in about Feb or March of this year.
So, the new policy from Lippert means that Keystone/Montana will also not warranty any issues that may arise.
This will affect the Anderson hitches, as well as any others that require an adapter on the pinbox.

We loved our Anderson and used it for over 30,000 miles on our last unit. But, we sold it and had the dealer install a Reese Goosebox. Not exactly cheap, but I really like it. It replaces the pinbox and has an air ride and shock absorber built in. It really does work well, and I also really like that now in my box all I need is my goose ball and chain attachments - no hitch in the bed at all!

Some have continued to use their Anderson hitches, but I see that you have a new Montana and getting a new truck. So make sure you are comfortable with potential warranty claim issues if you want to continue to use your AUH.

hth,
Brad

What's a shame here is the fact that these manufacturers of inferior workmanship want to blame whatever they can on a hitch. The fact remains these Lippert pin boxes were failing from shoddy welding ,and light weight metal long before they could blame it on any adapters on the pin box.

Yes I have towed thousands of mile with two different fifth wheels with the Andersen hitch without issues. Yes I would be concerned about the warranty part considering the issues Lippert has with the poor workmanship . If anyone that has paid much attention to the welding that s done on the framework of these fifth wheels ,its understandable why they want any excuse they can find to deny warranty . It's actually laughable, but it is what it is .
Old 12-04-2021, 04:53 PM   #12
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I see you mention short box, but dually , I am assuming then a Megacab dually ?, that would be a short box. If so then to the center of the puck that you attach the Andersen its 35" to the front of the cab on my 2014 Ram Megacab , minus the 14" in the picture given on the measurements of the Andersen you will have 21" . I am assuming the 2022 Ram has not changed on their bed lengths .

Although that was measuring at the bottom of the bed to the center of the puck , the 35", if measured from the top where the bed flares at the top you will lose a couple inches , so its pretty close to that 19" you will have left ,unless that tank is only about 14" or less high , then it will sit back in tight against the bed that's about where the taper starts 14" from the bottom of the bed . Hope that makes sense .
Ok, from your very detailed measurements and thank you for them, I think I will wait until I get the truck before ordering the tank because it sounds like it's gonna be a tad bit tight in front of the hitch. The height up to the rollover lip on the bed is now of concern and I don't wanna have to send it back because of 1/2" either way. I can go with a smaller tank but don't really want to. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:08 PM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Ok, from your very detailed measurements and thank you for them, I think I will wait until I get the truck before ordering the tank because it sounds like it's gonna be a tad bit tight in front of the hitch. The height up to the rollover lip on the bed is now of concern and I don't wanna have to send it back because of 1/2" either way. I can go with a smaller tank but don't really want to. And for those concerned about the lack of warranty while using the Anderson....don't. I'm too damn old to start worrying about something I have no control over. Thanks for all the replies.
Yes , that rollover lip will make it too close for comfort, if it’s taller then the 14” . Too close , until you actually have that hitch installed to see .

I’m with you warranty or not , the Andersen is of no concern to me .
Old 12-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Happy trails.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:04 AM   #15
Martyw69
Established Member

M.O.C. #29843
I installed an aux tank in my short box 2016 Ram 2500 that holds 51 gallon of diesel and it is only less than 12” thick it fits perfect in front of the Anderson hitch with room to spare I can get you the # of the tank and contact info if you would like
Martyw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:36 AM   #16
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
You are talking apples ,and oranges here, this a Ram short bed , not a long bed Chev . Not sure what you are trying to say or your point , the puck system is much easier to adjust ????????

There is no adjustment on my puck system, its a fixed system, welded to the frame. I suppose if you were installing a puck system ,not having a factory installed system you could adjust a bit when installing .Sure sounds like the OP has the factory puck system . You may want to clarify what you are trying to say .
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The adjustment is on the Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch. The adjustments are on the Trailer Saver to prevent the hitch from movement inside the puck system.

i don't know what other 5th wheel hitches use to adapt to the Puck system. GM Puck system is welded to the frame, no move.

It is apparent we don't see eye to eye. I'm disappointed in that. However, I'm hear to help anyone I can. I not here to debate YOU or anyone else.

Happy trails.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #17
glb1950
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyw69 View Post
I installed an aux tank in my short box 2016 Ram 2500 that holds 51 gallon of diesel and it is only less than 12” thick it fits perfect in front of the Anderson hitch with room to spare I can get you the # of the tank and contact info if you would like
All help is appreciated, I've found several tanks that should fit, but like I said, at this point since I don't wanna have to send something back, I'll wait until I finally have truck in hand before ordering something that's so tight to begin with. Guess I shoulda got a CC and a long bed then everything would fit no problem. But long beds are not really my cup of tea and I really wanted that mega-cab.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:29 AM   #18
Superchief05
Established Member

M.O.C. #29764
There is no memo from lippert concerning the Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch. The memo is about the Anderson gooseneck adapter. Here is a link to the memo in a different forum.
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83693

Full disclosure, I have the Anderson ultimate for my 372RD. Very happy with the ride.
2019 Ford F-350SRW Andersen Ultimate Hitch
Superchief05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:06 PM   #19
Martyw69
Established Member

M.O.C. #29843
Look at JM Ellsworth’s website
The tank I bought was the diamond plate aluminum 51 gallon diesel tank it 9” deep 24” tall and fits perfectly against the front of the box up against the cab you can still use the sliding window if you have that
Martyw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:42 AM   #20
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaine and Lindy View Post
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. The adjustment is on the Trailer Saver Air Ride hitch. The adjustments are on the Trailer Saver to prevent the hitch from movement inside the puck system.

i don't know what other 5th wheel hitches use to adapt to the Puck system. GM Puck system is welded to the frame, no move.

It is apparent we don't see eye to eye. I'm disappointed in that. However, I'm hear to help anyone I can. I not here to debate YOU or anyone else.

Happy trails.
I just didn't see the point of your post ,we are talking a standard bed on a Ram ,in the old days referred to as a short bed . You are towing with something entirely different hitch ,truck etc etc .

As you realized , your post was not clear ,sounding like the puck system is adjustable. I answered the op exactly what he was asking . We sometimes get lost on these threads what direction it was going .

I think a debate will always start, big reason these threads are mostly opinions ,and not facts, and there will be disagreement . I will certainly make an effort to get along ,but will always debate or disagree when I feel its needed.