Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I think you guys put those bikes up over the top of your heads would be a lot happier if you put the bikes on the truck reciver!!! It wouldn't be near the high lift. If you mount using a longer piece of square tubing that will allow the bike mount to slide away from the truck you should have the clearance to unhitch without removing the bikes completely. It worked really well for us with our last camper and if we didn't have the 381th with it's garage (insert smiliy face with tounge stuck out) we would be doing same with this camper....Boy that garage sure is nice!!!

mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:23 PM   #22
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
Same rig as yours

[QUOTE=BB_TX;617178]I made a pin box mount that does not require any modifications to the pin box. It just uses the pin box bolts to attach it. Only cost about $20 for the receiver tube at Harbor Freight. I had some 2"x2" angle iron laying around and I welded it myself. If you don't weld, a metal shop could probably do it fairly cheaply. I can easily carry 3 adult bikes and maybe a 4th with my long bed. No bouncing up there, out of the way, and always in sight. Loading/unloading is easy. I just back the truck near the mount, lift the bikes into the bed, step into the bed, and lift the bikes onto the mount. And reverse to get them off.

There are commercial mounts available, but for several hundred dollars I think.

Bill, I made a similar rig to yours. I fist tried 1” x1” angle iron but it was too flimsy. Then I tried 2x2” and it’s pretty heavy, maybe 30-40 lbs without the bike rack attached. I have a Tule Rack and I wonder what kind of stress it will put on the pin box. Add the weight of the bikes, about 40 lbs each and frankly I’m not sure I can lift the bikes up there. How much does your rig weigh and how heavy are your bikes. I have a mountain bike and the wife has a Townie.
Tom
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote