Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2022, 07:52 PM   #1
InheritedMontana

M.O.C. #31097
Leveling Feet Issues

2005 Keystone Montana 3295 RK

I inherited this RV (hence the login name ) from my still living dad. He's 82 and it was too much to take on down the road.

He bent a leveling foot, and I replaced it with a new one. I tested the motor straight to battery off the RV and it worked.

I installed the foot, hooked up power, clicked the switch. No power.

I tested the fuses for continuity, they are both functional. I tested the wires to the motor for continuity, red has power, black has ground.

I added some pictures. Tested both fuses mounted to the wall, tested the line fuse, etc.

My last thing to mess with is the switch itself, but I'd like to think those can't go out? Am I naive to think that?

I hope you all will put up with my questions, as I'm trying to get this thing road worthy. So if know anyone interested as it sits, I'm asking $6000. I'm increasing the price as I fix things

Known issues -

I need to verify the water lines work and are tight.
Needs a DEEEEP cleaning.
Needs kitchen flooring replaced.
Check tanks for seal
Check Propane for seal
Needs 4 new or good tires
My dad ran romex and there's an open wire for some reason.

It just needs a good once over by someone who knows what they are doing.
Oh, and the water heater is gone. I figured an instant water heater would be a better idea anyhow, as 6 gal don't last long, and instant allows for as long as you have propane you got hot.

Thank you all for our help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	12086   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	170.0 KB
ID:	12087   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	16
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	12088  

InheritedMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:07 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Obviously the motor works if you could jump it with an external battery. Changing the foot pad wouldn't affect the motor. SO there is a wiring issue.

The switch is a double pole double throw type (aka reversing) and they do go out. There is a lot of history here about the older style mechanical legs and the power system. A Search function (up near the top) will help find it.

As I recall, power comes from the battery, through a 30 amp blade type fuse on a Pink wire which goes to the switch along with a Black (ground). Depending on which side of the switch is pressed determines how power is sent to the motor on the Red and Black wires. (i.e. Clockwise or counter-clockwise). But it has been a long time and I could be wrong (but not about the switch failing - been there, done that).

I attached some wiring diagrams from Venture Manufacturing, the makers of your landing gear, which may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AA-9030 Wire Assembly Rev A.PDF (92.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf AA-9030-42.pdf (88.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: pdf DP-9000.pdf (91.0 KB, 30 views)

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 10:39 PM   #3
InheritedMontana

M.O.C. #31097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
As I recall, power comes from the battery, through a 30 amp blade type fuse on a Pink wire which goes to the switch along with a Black (ground). Depending on which side of the switch is pressed determines how power is sent to the motor on the Red and Black wires. (i.e. Clockwise or counter-clockwise). But it has been a long time and I could be wrong (but not about the switch failing - been there, done that).

Right on the money, thank you! I appreciate the help. I did attempt to search, but I couldn't find similar year model or trailer type with the level jack issues. I did see quite a few things, but I tested all the fuses which were the most often commented. I didn't realize the switch has it's own nonsense that can go out. I'm used to the "it'll catch fire before it messes up" switches.... I should have known. It was all covered up with winterizing sprays and caulking so I was hoping that wasn't it.

Thank you so much!

Just in case you see this, should I post EACH question by itself as I work, or just make 3 or 4 question posts? I'm kinda new here and I don't think I saw that just yet.
Old 05-31-2022, 10:54 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
You usually have better luck with one question per post. I saw a lot of To Do's above but nothing that described a problem (other than your landing legs) and asked for answers.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 10:37 PM   #5
InheritedMontana

M.O.C. #31097
Fixed!

So even though ALL the hot wire lines had continuity, the GROUND did not on the switch (inside the double door belly that pushes down the leveling feet).

Once I took the 4 screws out, and moved the cover... 2 wires disconnected, 2 connected.

Switch was fine, and I was rolling down the feet within 2 minutes.

I know all of you know much more about this, but not having feet, we spent an hour with two 2 ton jacks going up, sliding under a block, moving to the other side, sliding block, etc.

3 weeks after we got the rig here, it rained 3" in 2 hours. Not common for Texas, but it happens. The next morning... 6 inches into the ground the rigs working foot went. The 80 mph wind had blown it off the blocks.

3 hours later, I had it about as high as it'd safely go. These stupid leveling feet working. Off the ground in 2 minutes haha.

Safe travels
Old 06-03-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Glad you were able to get it sorted out. Sorry to hear about the wind and rains though. Started to ask what the sam hill part of Texas you were in since we didn't have any rough weather, but then I saw Borger in the info by your login name. Know exactly where that it is as I hauled transport loads of diesel fuel out of the plant near there in my youth.
Continue to post your questions here, for there are numerous folks that are great about assisting.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote