Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #21
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
If your combined GVWR is over 26,000 pounds, yes you need a Class A non-commercial license.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm

You will be tested on setions 14 and 6

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/DL-7C.pdf

Then there is the skills test.

The first time you take the written test a clock starts. How long that clock is I do not know.

If you search on line, you can find practice tests. Without studying I failed, but was real close.

Once I get my camper out of summer storage (Dealer), I will pick up practicing and studying. I do plan to post my steps on getting one, once I can start the process.

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #22
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
Anyone have any information about a Class A license here in Texas. I just upgraded from my Chevy 2500HD to a Chevy 3500HD. My Montana 3582RL is 12.6k empty and 16k gvwr.

So the way I read the rules then I'm required a Class A non-commercial license. Am I right or not.

>=26,001 lbs gross combined in Texas equals class A non-commercial DL
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #23
parksjanda
Established Member

M.O.C. #21427
Mr. C.
I have seen videos on youtube describing Texas DMV reqirements for two vehicle towing with GVWR over 26,000 lbs. It is very similar to that of PA. Apply for your upgrade drivers permit from class c to class A non-commercial; you have one year to take the drivers exam, (that is the active period of the permit); you do not need a licensed driver with you while driving your rig since you already hold a class c drivers license; and practice offset left and right backing, parallel parking and straight line backing. Alley docking is what is done in RV campgrounds but in PA it is not on the driving test.

Every Saturday, my husband drives our rig to our local KMart parking lot, sets up the cones and practices backing, even alley docking. On the road he practices driving safety, safe distances between other vehicles, breaking, making turns, using signals, appropriate speeds...etc. Hope this helps.
parksjanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:18 PM   #24
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Youll be easily over thr trucks 10k gvwr... the trailer should never get close to 16000 lbs..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:06 AM   #25
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
the trailer should never get close to 16000 lbs..
Will you please explain your thought on this? Our 2018.5 3791RD has a GVWR of 16,830 and CAT Scales @ 16,810 loaded for full timing.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #26
CanalesPac
Established Member

M.O.C. #21018
Yes, you do in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
Anyone have any information about a Class A license here in Texas. I just upgraded from my Chevy 2500HD to a Chevy 3500HD. My Montana 3582RL is 12.6k empty and 16k gvwr.

So the way I read the rules then I'm required a Class A non-commercial license. Am I right or not.
You’re right. Your numbers look very much like ours. We have a GMC Sierra 3500HD SRW and the Montana High Country 362RD.

Depending on where you are, the wait to get that driving (skills) test could be long. To put it into perspective: we’re in Arlington and I drove to Wichita Falls to take the drive test sooner (actually, my Dad drove it...he was legal already). My husband was able to test locally, but barely met our 90 day time limit. We probably would not have been able to retest in time if we had not passed the first try because we didn't take the first test dates available.

I advise anyone considering the purchase of any GCWR over 26,001 lbs with the trailer weighing at least 10,000 lbs begin the test process immediately so you can do the drive test as soon as you have your rig. You won’t need the trailer for the written test day. You will have 90 days to complete the process. You get 3 tries on each test part (you cannot retry on the same day).

The dealer is unlikely to recommend getting the proper license (in our experience and estimation they either don't know, or don't want to scare off a potential buyer). Remember, they're not the ones getting ticketed if you get pulled over.

Big things to consider:
WRITTEN TEST DAY(S)
1. Begin the process as soon as you decide your rig will be GCWR > 26,000 lbs with the trailer weighing > 10,000 lbs. The written test must be taken and passed before they will allow you to schedule the driving portion.
2. The written test is pretty specific, but based mostly on 2 sections of the commercial driver handbook (available for free as a hard copy or online). Focus your time on sections 6 and 14. They break the written test into 2 parts (if you start a part before they close, you get to finish that part that day). You get 3 tries for each part of the test....but, you can't try a failed part again the same day. You would need to return another day.
3. It will be $11 when you first apply onsite to take the written test. They will take your photo the day of the first written test. PHOTO DAY, ladies, is DAY 1. Retakes are another $11. (I have "hat hair" and no make-up in my photo since I didn't realize this.)
4. Apparently you can test for either the "license" or "learners permit." Both have their strengths and weaknesses....both come with a time limit. The learners permit would have required practice time WITH a class A licensed driver before you CAN do the drive test and another fee upon doing the drive test (but at least you could take another photo ) We went straight for the license hoping for faster testing dates.

SKILLS/DRIVING TEST
5. Schedule the driving portion as soon as you can. While you get 90 days to complete the process, the scheduling can eat all of that time if you're not on top of things.

6. Get all your paperwork ready to go for the driving portion and walk in the door on the day of your test 1 hour early with the paperwork IN HAND (not in glove box and not a digital copy). You'll need to hand them the following before you can take the driving portion (you get your copies back):

a. proof of current tag (both truck and trailer)

b. proof of current insurance (at least the truck...[SIDE NOTE: We almost had to produce a document proving insurance on the trailer - but USAA doesn't automatically have that available and somehow we got through the test without it]

c. proof of current inspection (both truck and trailer)

ADDED: When you arrive, don't park your rig in the Commercial lanes in the Arlington (really Fort Worth) location. They look the most convenient, but if you get behind a truck and can't get out....you'll miss your test time (see the Fort Worth Mega Center google earth images to hopefully better understand what I mean). When we were there, we found plenty of consecutive unused parking on the west side of the building for a large rig. The back-up portion takes place in the fire lane behind the DMV (cars use the cured lanes....RV's use the fire lane only).

7. You must take the driving test on equipment that meets the criteria for a non-commercial class A. You can't borrow a friends smaller trailer (we asked at one test location, then it was confirmed at the next location when they used the vehicle specific data to add up the GCWR for our rig just before the driving test).

8. Big things to consider in the drive test: back up 100 feet (keep it inside of a standard lane, we backed straight at both testing locations; no curves)

9. Don't jump a curb (automatic failure), don't speed (automatic failure), don't skip stop signs..or go past them a little (automatic failure), know where you are in your lane, know where other people/cars are around you. Did I mention not to jump a curb (automatic failure). Don't speed (automatic failure). Don't do anything perceived as dangerous or negligent (automatic failure). Keep both hands on the wheel at all times UNLESS backing. Adjust all mirrors, etc. BEFORE starting the drive. Overall, the test was up and down a freeway and access road a couple of times. 20-30 minutes, under 10 miles. Nerve-wrecking silence during the drive, but actually not that hard if you're ready for turns, merges onto the highway, and backing straight. I'm glad I only had to do it once. The peace of mind is worth it.
CanalesPac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #27
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
Will you please explain your thought on this? Our 2018.5 3791RD has a GVWR of 16,830 and CAT Scales @ 16,810 loaded for full timing.
Is this just the trailer? If so, you are carrying way too much. When you go inside then you have exceeded the weight ratings.
Our weighs 12280, and 13000 loaded.. we are 3000 under the gvwr..
Old 07-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #28
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
You have 2845 left to load your 5th wheel..so youre putting over 2500 in your trailer? Really?
Old 07-31-2018, 04:35 PM   #29
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
You have 2845 left to load your 5th wheel..so youre putting over 2500 in your trailer? Really?
He likes his beer!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #30
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Have a cousin in CA that took a friends unloaded flat bed trailer to the test, since unloaded it was under the limit, no questions about who brought it down, didn't ask him go go load it. Kind of like taking a 100CC Honda to a motorcycle driving test instead of your Harley.
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #31
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #22321
This link lists DMV licenses requirements for all states.
R58
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-rv-license.shtml
karen.morgan@morrisbb.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #32
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
Just got back from Wyoming DMV as they are on the list as a state that requires that class a non commercial. I was told don’t worry about it federal gov made all states quit doing that in 2017 so I did not need it. If you look at DMV site for wy it still has a class a listed. Kind of wonder if this is a way for states to get more money out of you. Will research it more.
Hwtezrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #33
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
Hmm if you weren’t confused before the last post you certainly are now. Glad I have a class A already. Here in Montana they told the DW she was good to go with the license they gave her. We have a 3125 and it’s tag says 16,000. Our trucks weighs in at 8600. DRW 1 ton Chevy 2013. She just renewed her license and its just a standard license. She flat out asked about this and they said she’s good to go. Confused just a little. Me too.
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #34
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If the federal government made states quit requiring a class A non why are states still requiring it?
I noticed most states are n n, no CDL no class A. I do not see where these special permits do any good. People aren’t wrecking them. They aren’t being driven dangerously so what the point.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:15 PM   #35
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
I wish they would actually lower the weight limit so more would have to get there non commercial license. Still way to many drivers out there don't know what there doing. It is entertaining at the campground to watch them maneuver in there campsite. especially in tight quarters like a nascar track or fair grounds
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I don’t know it hurts any thing not being able to get around a camp site very well. You are going slow so if you hit something there won’t be much damage. These people do gradually learn. I see very few wrecks on the road. Then who knows what type of license they may have. If it’s not causing a problem why bother with more red tape. I feel like a Va senator. He said every time we pass a law we take someone’s freedom away from them.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 06:13 PM   #37
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
I am going back to DMV tomorrow to see if maybe she miss understood me as a class a is listed on there web site. I’m thinking that it’s Rvs they can’t require to get it anymore she said it had to exceed 39,000lbs.

Don’t forget we all started somewhere and you have to learn and hopefully it will be from doing it and help from other rvers Why only 10 states out of 50 makes no since if your going to do it then everybody should. I have a CDL now but I know pulling a 5th wheel will be a different experience. Stay tuned I will update.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #38
Hwtezrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #22426
Update
Went back to Wyo DMV to double check, Wyo was one of 10 states that required a Class A non commercial for combined weight over 26,001lbs. Sometime 2016 17 feds said you can no longer require that on rvs that are used for pleasure unless it went over 39,001lbs then you have to get a Class A CDL.

FMCSA does not recognize a Class A non commercial when it is over 26,001 it’s a Class A CDL unless it’s for Rv pleasure that is why Wyo stopped it. Now why these other 9 states are still doing it money would be my guess but who knows.

So makes you wonder are some states pulling the wool over our eyes are did I get wrong info. Why only 9 out of 50 require it. I was born and raised in Tx which is one of the 9 and they pretty much do what they want.

Hope I have not confused you to much just glade I live in a state that no longer does that but Pa is on the horizon as a new resident state.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #39
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
I wish they would actually lower the weight limit so more would have to get there non commercial license. Still way to many drivers out there don't know what there doing. It is entertaining at the campground to watch them maneuver in there campsite. especially in tight quarters like a nascar track or fair grounds

So it is easier to come on a forum and make fun of how someone maneuvers in a campground, than it is to go see if they need any help or advice on making it easier for them to navigate their camper/tv combination.

I`m sorry but I don't think your comment has contributed anything positive to this thread!
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:30 PM   #40
Kasboat
Established Member

M.O.C. #22438
Ca Non-Commercial Class A Practical Test

I’m scheduled to take the practical portion on Mar 11 at 8:30 AM here in Bakersfield. I’ve checked around a few places & have yet to find a “class A” license holder who can accompany me to the test facility. Truckers are in high demand around here. Camping World, where I purchased my 5th wheel said they did not know of anyone. My next step will be to look up these “drive away” companies as previously discussed in this thread, if no luck perhaps I can call a tow truck?? Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Tags
class a