Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Exclamation Some things are just hard to comprehend

I posted last summer that we had sold our 2007 Montana. It was in great condition and had several upgrades I had done to it. Fast forward to this week.

A gentleman showed up at our house and asked if we owned a Montana 5er. I told him we had sold it last summer. He asked if we had a lien on it and I told him no, they paid full price in cash. I asked why he wanted to know. He said he owned a local RV park and the trailer had been abandoned. He had found my name by checking the license plate number even though I had gone on the state web site and filled out their form that I no longer owned it. He said it is so full of junk the slides can not be closed. He was getting ready to have it hauled off to salvage and wanted to make sure I had no claim to it.

The couple that bought it seemed like really nice people. But he said he (and some of their neighbors) had had some issues with them.

He said it was not the first time he has had this happen, and probably not the last. He was a really nice guy. And the RV park, while far from a resort, appears to be a clean and well kept place. Does appear to have mostly permanent residents. The joy of being an RV park owner I guess.

To spend that much money and throw it away in less than a year is hard to understand. Never let anyone convince you to finance a loan yourself.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:27 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Do what? Did I miss something? Why would you buy a camper trash it and abandon it? That is not the way I handle my money or anything. Oh well, takes all kinds.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
So - is the RV park going to assume ownership? Can they do that?
And who has the cash to buy a Montana just walk away and disappear??
What kind of weed were they selling?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:18 AM   #4
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
There’s all kinds for people out their, some places I’ve had to stay because of the very limited RV parks I seen some stuff and people just down on there luck or just choose to live in conditions of survival mode.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:26 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You never know what is going on in someone else's life. They may have had a life altering catastrophic event. Or the rig could have been stolen and someone else deserted it.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:21 PM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Cooking Meth maybe?

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 01:59 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Although it may be a confusing situation and one you many never understand, as long as you are clear of any liability, you filed the correct paperwork with the state, and you were paid full compensation for the camper, does it really matter what the other person did or did not do with the property that is now rightfully theirs?

Breath easy and be grateful the campground is not coming after you in any way, shape, or form for financial restitution.

I know, it doesn't make sense why someone would purchase a camper and completely trash it out a year later. It makes no sense why someone will purchase a new house either that's in pristine condition at the time of purchase and then let it run down, fall apart, and literally destroy it beyond usability too. Yet some people do that all the time and don't think a thing about it. The bottom line is, some people are just trash, skum of the earth, and not worth the air they are breathing. They are takers, abusers, and nasty vile people who have no morality or sense of morality or decency. They live for the moment in hedonistic self pleasure and some how find ways to continue and repeat their miss behaved ways over and over again. Those of us who have a sense of morality, a sense of ownership, a sense of right and wrong, a sense of self-pride will never understand such hedonism.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:06 AM   #8
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Likely drugs and and hiding from the law for various reasons.
Old 02-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #9
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
2007 was a solid Montana you might want to clean it out and fix up again if you can get title.
Lol
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:34 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed View Post
2007 was a solid Montana you might want to clean it out and fix up again if you can get title.
Lol
Yeah, we bought it new and had incredibly few problems with it, none of the problems that seem to occur with the newer ones. But I am not sure I would even want it back now from the way the guy was describing it. But it was a little disappointing to find out how someone had trashed it considering how well kept it was and how good condition it was still in. Nothing at all in the couple's appearance, demeanor, or outward personality to suggest they would do such a thing.
Old 02-21-2022, 05:41 PM   #11
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Yeah, we bought it new and had incredibly few problems with it, none of the problems that seem to occur with the newer ones. But I am not sure I would even want it back now from the way the guy was describing it. But it was a little disappointing to find out how someone had trashed it considering how well kept it was and how good condition it was still in. Nothing at all in the couple's appearance, demeanor, or outward personality to suggest they would do such a thing.
Until you see it for yourself you don't really know what the condition is. One mans junk another mans treasure

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 06:45 PM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
Until you see it for yourself you don't really know what the condition is. One mans junk another mans treasure
No regrets about the sell. We sold it because of several family issues that caused us to barely use it the last 4 years. And with the costs of storage, maintenance, insurance, and registration we could not justify keeping it. Maybe if these issues clear up, or at least lessen, we will get back into RVing. In a Montana of course. In the meantime I will live vicariously thru all the MOC members’ adventures here on the forum.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:06 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
No regrets about the sell. We sold it because of several family issues that caused us to barely use it the last 4 years. And with the costs of storage, maintenance, insurance, and registration we could not justify keeping it. Maybe if these issues clear up, or at least lessen, we will get back into RVing. In a Montana of course. In the meantime I will live vicariously thru all the MOC members’ adventures here on the forum.

We hope you can clear up all of these issues. I have issues too. With my wife’s problems with her back, hip, knee, toes and fingers, just to name a few it’s hard to travel, no impossible. Maybe this year. I hear Wyoming and friends out there calling.
Lynwood
Old 02-23-2022, 03:16 PM   #14
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Claim the RV. Fix it up. Resell it. 😄
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I go with the idea they had a life changing event - we have had a pandemic. In my home state, Nevada, we keep the DMV tags when we sell a vehicle so the park owner would be at a loss to find the previous owner based on the license plate.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:55 PM   #16
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Sounds like a remake of Breaking Bad. Sad you took care of it all those years and the new owner just trashed it.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 01:29 PM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Not sure what your state laws are, but in Virginia, you can post a bill of sale in the window of the rig as a temporary tag. You have 30 days to register the unit and get plates on it. Office Depot (and I am sure other places) sell 3 packs of bill of sale (s) for a couple of bucks. We ALWAYS remove OUR plates from RVs (any vehicle for that matter) and both parties are given a copy of the bill of sale. We then turn the plates back into DMV - and get a refund on property tax for the part of the period that we no longer own the vehicle. YMMV - Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Lisa View Post
Not sure what your state laws are, but in Virginia, you can post a bill of sale in the window of the rig as a temporary tag. You have 30 days to register the unit and get plates on it. Office Depot (and I am sure other places) sell 3 packs of bill of sale (s) for a couple of bucks. We ALWAYS remove OUR plates from RVs (any vehicle for that matter) and both parties are given a copy of the bill of sale. We then turn the plates back into DMV - and get a refund on property tax for the part of the period that we no longer own the vehicle. YMMV - Bill

Thanks. I live in Virginia and didn’t know that.
Lynwood
Old 02-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #19
Jim in Halifax
Established Member

M.O.C. #28988
The CG owners should go to the police...might be stolen....before removing it....
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:14 AM   #20
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
One reason why we always go with the buyer to the dmv or appropriate agency if what we are selling has a title or plate. Folks are known to never bother to properly transfer ownership. Learned that years ago the hard way.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote