Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 08:46 PM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
“Top Tier” fuel

Never heard of “Top Tier” gas. But it apparently is a real thing. And apparently diesel also.

Over the past 20 years, engines have become far more precise, operating under tighter tolerances and at higher compression ratios, while targeting cleaner emissions and improved fuel economy. To achieve these goals, several major automakers—Audi, BMW, Ford, General Motors, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, Stellantis, Toyota, and Volkswagen—have united in support of Top Tier gas, specifically recommending it to their owners with the goal of preserving their engines’ original performance and emissions over time.

https://www.consumerreports.org/fuel...e-a7682471234/

https://www.toptiergas.com/toptier_diesel_fuel/

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
ScaryPapa
Established Member

M.O.C. #30351
“Top Tier” diesel where besides Costco?

The websites on mention Costco for diesel. Does anyone know if diesel stations like Loves or Pilot/Flying J have it?
Old 03-24-2022, 04:00 AM   #3
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Funny, we are at the end of the gas engine area and now they come up with this nonsense. this world we live in is more a circus everyday.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:37 AM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Top tier must meet certain standards. If the fuel is top tier there will usually be stickers on the pump saying so. Brand X stations often do not meet such standards and thus, the lower cost.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:50 AM   #5
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Top Tier fuel has been around here in Oklahoma for at least 10 or 15 years.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:51 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
That's a well and good but you now need a Costco or Kroger near you, and Kroger isn't Nation wide, while Costco is they aren't on every corner.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:03 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
It appears most all "name brand" fuel now meets that standard where unbranded fuel may or may not. Interestingly, Cosco meets it, but Walmart/Sams (Murphy oil) does not.

Seems that truck stops (Loves/Flying J/etc) and non brand name stations such as 7/11, grocery stores, etc do not meet the top tier standard.

Large chain non branded RaceTrac in this area, where I often buy fuel, does not but QuikTrip/QT, another large chain non branded station, does.

Don't know how much difference it ultimately makes but I guess I will start buying from one of the top tier stations. Plenty of options in my area. May help longevity and reliability, and can't hurt.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I doubt if we are really close to the end of the fossil fuel era despite the current "knee jerk" movement to go near total electric. No need to argue this as I personally don't think we are to be on this rock forever. There all piles of people sitting at desks scheming up something that they hope will amplify their worth so their boss won't come to the conclusion that they are not really needed. I saw it at my work place for years on end. With that revelation in mind ... is this "super fuel" really the same as pushing for nitrogen in your tires ... the wings on the back of semi trailers ... 3K, 5K, or 10K oil changes or whatever else?

PS: Where does french fry diesel (biodiesel) come into play here? That's also being pushed and is already mixed in with many fuel stop's diesel. Even Ethanol ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Nice article but what they didn’t tell you is most engines are direct injection. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinders and never comes in with the intake valves. It’s like having a bucket of soapy water in your kitchen unless it gets on the floor you are still going to have a dirty floor. Some engines have two injectors per cylinder, a port and a direct injector. Those premium fuel will work on but just direct injected won’t keep the intake valves clean.
What causes carbon on the intake valves is the crankcase ventilation system. It vents gases out of the crankcase and burns it in the cylinders and in doing so carbon is deposited on the intake valves.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 06:47 AM   #10
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Funny, we are at the end of the gas engine area and now they come up with this nonsense. this world we live in is more a circus everyday.

Mike
Top tier gas has been around along time, started with Chevron with the Techron and the Shell over 30+ years ago. It’s the real deal, the internal combustion engine and fuels, oils have come a long ways over the years and this is why they last so much longer then from the development.

Every time I get the chance to rebuild a modern gas engine it amazes me how clean they are compared to the engine I rebuilt from sixties, seventies and eighties from the top end to the bottom end.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:14 AM   #11
Superchief05
Established Member

M.O.C. #29764
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
That's a well and good but you now need a Costco or Kroger near you, and Kroger isn't Nation wide, while Costco is they aren't on every corner.
Kroeger is nationwide. Here in the NW it is branded as Fred Meyer. In Colorado There are Kroeger stores but the main brand is called King Soopers. Go to the Kroeger site for the full list of brands. While costco has Diesel, it is not available at all locations.
2019 Ford F-350SRW Andersen Ultimate Hitch
Superchief05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:09 PM   #12
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Nice article but what they didn’t tell you is most engines are direct injection. The fuel is injected directly into the cylinders and never comes in with the intake valves. It’s like having a bucket of soapy water in your kitchen unless it gets on the floor you are still going to have a dirty floor. Some engines have two injectors per cylinder, a port and a direct injector. Those premium fuel will work on but just direct injected won’t keep the intake valves clean.
What causes carbon on the intake valves is the crankcase ventilation system. It vents gases out of the crankcase and burns it in the cylinders and in doing so carbon is deposited on the intake valves.
Lynwood
Correct! Top Tier is FOR DIRECT ENGINE INJECTION.. Not for Fuel injection, or carbs..Top Tier is supposed to keep the Valves from becoming dirty with carbon. Our Hyundai Sonata Hybrid uses an ATKINSON Engine..It operates differently from a convetional gas engine..Convention Fuel injection injects the Fuel on the intake stroke. Direct injection injects fuel at the top of the compression stroke like a diesel does... I have not heard of Top Tier for Diesels.. but will check..Essentially Too Tier is a High Detergent Gasoline.. The Newer Direct Injection engines are squirting gas onto the intake valves to keep them clean..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 05:12 PM   #13
Trevor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #29795
I am a “ fuel hauler “ truck driver. I have never heard of this before, ever. All I know of is branded gas and unbranded gas. Branded and unbranded diesel are the same exact thing. We all load our trucks at the same place . Gas has different additives injected into it for different brands,ie. chevron,shell, BP, Exon,…… other than that there is regular/ mid grade/ and Premium, witch means the different octane levels.
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 07:36 PM   #14
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Diesel is pretty much diesel. To be top tier gas it must meet a certain standard to receive that designation. You will not likely see this designation at brand X gas stations. Engines that live on brand X vs. a quality fuel will generally have different life spans.