Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2021, 11:33 PM   #1
Gubs
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27658
taking forever

Anyone else experience this sort of problem.
Took my new Montana 3121 in for a few (minor) fixes that I could have taken care of at home, however wife strongly suggested to let the pro's handle it since it is under warranty. They have now had my unit held hostage for four weeks and they tell me it will be at least two more weeks since they are having difficulties getting the parts they need to may the repairs. My Lord, I could have made the parts myself faster than this. Is everyone having problems getting parts? Had a friend that ordered a part from Amazon and got it in two days, guess from now on I should do that, right? Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this sort of problem.

Larry & Marilyn Gubbels
2019 F-350 Diesel 4X4, Short Bed, BW 18K slider,
closely followed by a 2020 Montana 3121RL
Gubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:59 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Not just slow getting parts here. It took me a month to get an appointment for 3 months out. I was told with Covid, that sales are through the roof and there are so many repairs to the new units to get them out the door, that the backlog is unbelievable.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:19 AM   #3
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
Parts are slow, but I didn't leave my rig with the Dealer. They ordered the parts and I scheduled service for 3 months out. They had all but to of the parts in, so they fixed them and I took it home again. Now the last 2 parts are in so I am going in on April 12th and they are fixing the last 2 items while I wait.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
yes had same problem when i took mine in for a few warranty claims a while back, i left mine and went by a week later and it was stuffed way in the back lot. was not a happy camper, went in and asked why and said parts were the problem. i dont think it was just parts i believe they are all the same in getting things done. when i went to pick it up batteries were dead, and had to wait to charge it to hook up. think they would at least turn the battery switch off i dont like to deal with any dealers at all.. i see you are from glendale could that be glendale az? good luck

al meyer
3931fb az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
It is a good idea to not let them store it. Covid gets blamed for everything but what I've seen is dealers can be as inefficient at ordering parts as they are at doing the repairs. I've seen where a dealer claims they are waiting on parts when I could order them right away no problem. Just an excuse to cover wait time for the shop. Have them call you when the parts are in and can set a date to bring the trailer in.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
As Covid issues are on the decline and things are opening back up, I hope the RV industry ramps up to full production & repairs, which includes the staff to deal with this demanding industry. Hope your rig gets fixed soon.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:18 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We took our HC in to the shop the day after labor day and it didn't get all the parts in till early November.(luckily that's our spare rig) A slide motor, black tank valve and ceiling fan were the issues. It's my understanding that new rigs are sitting up in Goshen waiting for ceiling fans right now. Mobile repair folks out here in NM are also having problems with parts, even things like light switches and sail switches. And yes, I can frequently find on Amazon what you can't get thru the dealer network.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Larry,

What parts are they having trouble getting?

Which dealer are you using?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #9
69Roadrunner
Established Member

M.O.C. #26993
Could some of the problems be with Keystone, I beginning to believe they aren’t as customer oriented as some of the other manufacturers? Been looking on Jayco 5th wheel forum and people speak of better customer service. Also I’m not seeing as many problems mentioned there as here on this forum. I for one will never buy another Keystone, had 2 and both have had lots of problems.
69Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:21 PM   #10
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I had to take my rig in last fall, they had to get part took 6 weeks to get parts. they had a sign there stating you will need to pick up your rigs and then when parts came in they would schedule the repair. Its all do to having to get parts from suppliers.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 03:28 PM   #11
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
RV dealerships are where Used car sales people go to learn how to lie convincingly. It's terribly frustrating.

Normally if a business gets caught telling lies repeatedly they die a slow and painful death, but not the RV business. I don't understand it.

Mark
Old 03-22-2021, 10:34 PM   #12
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Not only are they having issues with parts for repair, it is impacting new units as well. Remember, Keystone, Jayco, etc. buy from the same people. My new 3230CK came off the line minus the rear inside back window trim. It should be on its way soon to my dealer. However, your satisfaction with your Montana will depend to a large extent on how well your dealer does. We bought from our dealer without even getting a second quote. I have never had to leave my Montana overnight in the six years we’ve had it. We struggled to nitpick items during PDI. Best of luck getting your Montana back soon.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #13
SLB
Established Member

M.O.C. #27261
I to have a 2021 3121RL and getting in to do warranty work is a joke at best. Dealers have really no incentives to do it in timely efficient manner. Same with Keystone Customer Service. I tried repeatedly to order a fan switch and basement light for a month and so far zero luck. Thought it would be a simple process under their do it your self plan. Only got the run around so far Warranty for a year is use less in the current environment unless you want to leave your rig somewhere for 3-4 months. Keystone needs to step up and address these issues with their dealers and customer service.
SLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:39 AM   #14
Al D.
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22417
When I took mine in for some repairs and got the same response from my dealer about couldn't get parts. So I called Keystone and talked to them. Very Very helpful. They told me to tell the dealer to actually order the parts and they would ship them. Amazingly after I talked to the dealer the parts showed up in a few days. Always follow up. I have even contacted parts manufacturer to eliminate excuses.
Al D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 07:35 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When ordering parts from a dealer I always get the invoice from the dealer indicating they have actually ordered the part. 3 weeks or so has been the norm for receiving parts.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #16
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
We purchased our Montana in September 2018, and by January had it back for warranty work a couple times. Then came May and getting in for additional warranty work was next to impossible. One of the wheels (brake assembly) literally destroyed itself and I had no choice but to limp the trailer to the dealership. They had the trailer for weeks, saying they could not analyze the problem, that I had to wait my turn. Then, after they did the analysis, and agreed the entire wheel, hub, brakes, bearing, everything was destroyed, they had to order parts .... which took weeks and weeks also. Then when the parts finally came in, they set up a time to actually do the repair, which was weeks again.

Needless to say, my dealership lost my business. I've been using a different dealership ever since (another Keystone dealer), and they have been great to work with. They've serviced my Montana ever since. They will analyze the problem, order the parts and let you take the camper home. Call you when the parts are in, set up a new appointment to bring it back, and usually have the repair completely done with a 24 hour turn over (depending on what you are getting done of course).

So, the long - long - delays at dealerships for repairs is absolutely nothing new. More than 2 years ago, people were complaining how long it took for repairs all across the USA and on every RV forum I kept up on. Covid has nothing to do with this, except for the higher amount of new sales, which requires more warranty work for inferior construction, and that means more and more people trying to get things fixed, which ... naturally, makes for longer delays.

But the long delays are nothing new.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 06:24 AM   #17
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Having warranty work done, before Covid, was a nightmare learning experience. It became very apparent that I needed to do the bulk of repairs, myself.
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #18
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
If I ever buy another RV, I feel sorry for the dealer; I will probably take 2 days to do my “pre-delivery inspection”, and will be giving them a multi-page punch-list.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 09:31 AM   #19
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
If I ever buy another RV, I feel sorry for the dealer; I will probably take 2 days to do my “pre-delivery inspection”, and will be giving them a multi-page punch-list.
Good idea. Since we had so much trouble with ours, we'll not be getting another new one. Too much trouble getting the unit in the condition it is in now.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #20
Donjamin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22148
Send a message via Skype™ to Donjamin
Several years ago we traded in our ‘13 Sunset Trail Crossroads Reserve 5th wheel for our ‘16 Montana Legacy RL3160. The Sunset spent more time in the shop having slide issues repaired under warranty then it spent on the road with us camping in it. Every manufacture has their issues. So far, our Montana has been a dream to own.

D
2015 Ford F-250 SD 4X4
Donjamin is offline   Reply With Quote