Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Trading for "S.O.B."

After 15 years on this forum & owning a Montana, we are in the process of trading the Montana. We are trading our 2007 3400RL for a 2018 3401RS Alpine. Everything I can find indicates that it is compatible with the Montana line. It has several amenities that our 3400 don't have. Since most of the items on a camper comes from a manufactures that are common with most all campers I'm certain that there won't be much difference between them.

We have had a great time at different rallies, camping with friends and met a lot of new friends of which we hope to keep!

Looking forward to our new travels!

Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:57 AM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Our friends bought an Alpine the same day we got our monty. There are differences in their construction which makes the Alpine a less expensive unit. I've worked on both our rigs and can tell the difference. Now, the Alpine can be a fine trailer but will require work like any other trailer. Good luck with your decision and enjoy many travels.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:14 AM   #3
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Well you got many years out of the Montana and I hope you get many more out the Alpine. Congratulations on your new rig, and safe travels.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 10:29 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
Our friends bought an Alpine the same day we got our monty. There are differences in their construction which makes the Alpine a less expensive unit. I've worked on both our rigs and can tell the difference. Now, the Alpine can be a fine trailer but will require work like any other trailer. Good luck with your decision and enjoy many travels.
What are some of the main differences that you have noticed while you have been working on both units. The Alpine that we are looking at as much more amenities than what we had with our Montana.
Bill-N-Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:21 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bill and Donna,

Enjoy your new rig and don't be strangers.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 06:48 PM   #6
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
The first problem we dealt with was the Alpine had two piece holding tanks opposed to rotomolded tanks. Several broken tanks but finally resolved the issues. The next is the siding. It didn't take very long for the fiberglass fibers to become obvious and overall dulling of the sides. The suspension is quite basic. I don't recall if it even has wet bolts but it has no other upgrade like Montanas. The pin box is basic. Those are just a few of the components that comes to mind. Most of the other issues that cropped up are similar to issues that our Montana has.
Old 03-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Montana and Alpine are both child companies of Thor Industries. So, in a way, the Alpine and Montana are brothers / or sisters / or both, and their model numbers makes them all cousins to each other. So, we're still all in the same family!

Congrats on your Alpine! I hope it serves you well for many, many years.

You might want to check out the 5th Wheel Forum, also sponsored by RV Life: Click Here. You can use your same user ID and password as here. Just answer the questions and keep having fun on these forums. I do think that site favors Grand Design and DRV though, but all 5th wheelers are welcome there. There's also a Keystone section there.

Also, RV Forum is sponsored by RV Life also. It's a pretty active forum, not specific to any brand or type of camper, but still, lots of interesting subject matter topics going on over there! It's worth a look: Clcik Here.

AND....
Don't forget about the Keystone RV forum site. Also sponsored by RV Life: clcik here.

So you see, you really are not leaving the family completely. Just moving into a new house!

Enjoy!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:18 PM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-N-Donna View Post
What are some of the main differences that you have noticed while you have been working on both units. The Alpine that we are looking at as much more amenities than what we had with our Montana.
No idea about quality of one vs the other. But only natural a 2018 will have more amenities than a similar price range 2007 no matter the brand.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 06:34 AM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
No idea about quality of one vs the other. But only natural a 2018 will have more amenities than a similar price range 2007 no matter the brand.
My thoughts exactly after seeing the model years. That's an apples to oranges comparison. Compare an '07 pick up with an '18 pick up.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:26 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Owning 3 different Montana fivers over the years ... never had a super serious issue with any of them. That being said ... if something peaks one's interest and they don't try it ... they'll never know either way. Nothing to do with apples nor oranges.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:48 PM   #11
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
....Nothing to do with apples nor oranges...
My point was that comparing an '07 Montana with an '18 Alpine is hardly a fair comparison...other than to see the great improvement in 5th wheel RVs. Like the comparison noted between trucks.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:29 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I understand your point about the year spread, but I really think B&D's observations of amenities might have been taken a bit out of context. I'd guess since they are in the mood to move on from their old fiver that they have been looking at what's currently out there and have noted new bells and whistles across all lines of fivers. We all here like Montana's, but hopefully realize the "Big M" is not the only show on the road in its price range.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:35 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Before we picked our Montana, we looked at several Alpine models. The Alpine models were a little lower end than the Montana and very close to the High Country.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 03:37 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
It's actually Montana's fault that we jumped ship. Attended the 2011 Rally and Tiara had just taken on a new MRF and still had the units in the field before their Shop. Everyone was stopping a looking and that was all it took, "Just one Look" and we were hooked.
Old 03-25-2022, 11:11 AM   #15
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
Quote:
After 15 years on this forum & owning a Montana, we are in the process of trading the Montana. We are trading our 2007 3400RL for a 2018 3401RS Alpine. Everything I can find indicates that it is compatible with the Montana line. It has several amenities that our 3400 don't have. Since most of the items on a camper comes from a manufactures that are common with most all campers I'm certain that there won't be much difference between them.

We have had a great time at different rallies, camping with friends and met a lot of new friends of which we hope to keep!

Looking forward to our new travels!
I purchased an Alpine new back in 2017 3660FL.. I actually like it better than the Montana. The interior was so much nicer and comfortable. I've had 2 Laredo's, an Avalanche and even an Avion if anyone can remember those. We looked at several brands and models including the Montana, Grand Designs , etc.. but we always came back to the Alpine and finally decide to purchase one. It has the Rotoflex kingpin . equalflex suspension ,fiberglas rear cap, 2)15 k ac units which we barely use one and other options . the furnace has kept us toasty in cold weather.
I would not consider selling it or trading it in as we have really enjoyed this unit very much. Good luck on your decision and safe travels. God Bless

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:49 PM   #16
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
Originally Posted by E Rod View Post
I purchased an Alpine new back in 2017 3660FL.. I actually like it better than the Montana. The interior was so much nicer and comfortable. I've had 2 Laredo's, an Avalanche and even an Avion if anyone can remember those. We looked at several brands and models including the Montana, Grand Designs , etc.. but we always came back to the Alpine and finally decide to purchase one. It has the Rotoflex kingpin . equalflex suspension ,fiberglas rear cap, 2)15 k ac units which we barely use one and other options . the furnace has kept us toasty in cold weather.
I would not consider selling it or trading it in as we have really enjoyed this unit very much. Good luck on your decision and safe travels. God Bless
The FL was high on our list. We really like them but after sleeping on it for a couple of days this is what we decided on. We definitely remember the Avion's. We have been through 3 Air-Streams. This is camper #"8" for us.

Our Montana didn't have a leveling system. The thing that sold us for the Alpine was the layout; specifically the bath being separated totally from the BR. We really like the residential fridge also. I know other Montana's have everything that we were looking for but this one seems to be the one for us.

The simple hand rail in the hallway going up the steps really caught my attention, it was very solid and extremely useful. I guess I'm giving away my age now. Our decals were so bad on the Montana that we had to remove most of them. Had new ones to put on but just couldn't get to it. We really liked the Montana line but we believe this one will serve us well.

Simply put, it was time to make a change! Here is a link to the one we are purchasing. We are scheduled to pick it up on Tuesday.https://www.northsidervs.com/inv/201...on-KY-FG93082/
Old 03-25-2022, 03:09 PM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
<snip.>....We really like the residential fridge also.....
</snip>
I see there is only one battery currently. With the residential refer you should definitely plan on increasing that number (and capacity).

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 04:14 PM   #18
E Rod
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21551
That’s a very nice looking unit. Like the color of the wood. That’s another thing the Alpine has is real wood throughout. You can’t get that on the Montana’s unless you get the Legacy package. Not sure about the new ones but until recently, they were vinyl clad on cabinet facing

2021 F350 DRW Long Bed 6.7 Diesel Lariat Ultimate
E Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:07 AM   #19
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
There are a lot of folks in my opinion to pay way too much attention to all the bills and whistles the new units forgetting about all the systems that really matter.
Take for example the 07 slides are all hydraulic. In my opinion the hydraulic slides are far superior to cable or schwintek.
Don't know if that Alpine has the in command system, but I know several folks that traded in units with it because it simply didn't work.
There have just been way too many reports on this forum and others about the newer units and how they're not built like they used to be
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:06 PM   #20
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
I seldom comment on this forum, however I felt like saying we traded our 2008 3400rl two years ago and we loved it so much it was like loosing a family member. It was so great, quality and design making it probably the best fiver of all time. We only traded it because some of the upgrades we wanted would have been expensive like residential refrigerator, disc brakes, new roof and suspension.
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote