Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2022, 05:56 AM   #1
Castner's
Established Member

M.O.C. #19693
Struts for King Bed

Putting this out there for those with King Beds. We have a 2017 3791-RD Montana with a King Bed. As we get up in age, it is getting harder for my wife to lift the bed and put away or remove storage from underneath. We want to put struts to assist raising the bed during these times. Has anyone put struts on their King Bed, and if so, what length and pound of struts did you use? Any suggestions would be helpful!

Bob and Linda Castner

May reply to captain1wc@yahoo.com

Castner's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #2
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
We upgraded the mattress which ended up being quite a bit heavier than the original bed so I went with 120# gas springs. The old ones were 80# IIRC. She can lift it easily now and it stays up while she is digging out whatever it is she has stored under there.
MandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
just an example there are many more out there. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09139VRWH...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:26 AM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Many of us have upgraded bed struts to a heavier capacity. How much depends on what you have now and how much weight you are adding. I think (it has been a while) mine are 100 lb. ones. Others with Sleep number beds have gone to 120 lb. one. Do a Search on "bed strut" and you will find lots of threads on the topic.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #5
Bourbon County
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30449
This is a goldilocks situation; you don't want them too strong, and not too weak. If they are too strong it will try to fly up once it cams over while raising and will take more force to pull it back down. Obviously if they are too weak you don't get the assist you desire.

Take a look at www.hatchlift.com, they have selection table that shows different size beds, different mattress weights, and different hatch configurations; does the whole platform lift or just the half or so at the foot end? If you are still confused, call them during business hours, they have actual humans that answer the phone and I found them to be very helpful.

I found their prices fair and you can order kits that have all the mounting hardware and very good instructions for install.
Bourbon County is offline   Reply With Quote