Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-16-2022, 09:32 AM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master
 
Foldbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 1,889
M.O.C. #30417
Sattelite, Streaming, Weingard - Best Way to Watch TV

I am! I have a Winegard 360. I can pick up most local channels at most sites that I frequent. But games that are not on local channels would require satellite or internet? I've never streamed the NFL before. Is there an option to stream? Firestick? I was considering installing a Winegard router but now thinking money better spent on a dish setup? Help please...
 
__________________
Tony & Donna
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2K inverter, 200AH Lithium. 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:54 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Sebring
Posts: 3,633
M.O.C. #9969
I would suggest before spending money on either Dish Network or DirecTV, you look into the up and coming new system: Star Link. Don't know a lot about it myself, but from those I've talked to that have it say it's great.
__________________
Michelle & Ann
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country DRW 4X4 Crew Cab w/Duramax/Allison, Formally 2010 Montana 2955RL, Now Loaded 2016 SOB, Mor/ryde IS, Disc Brakes & Pin Box, Comfort Ride Hitch, Sailun 17.5 Tires.
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:03 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master
 
rames14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Livermore
Posts: 5,097
M.O.C. #1920
Foldbak, our son is an athletic trainer with the Bucs, so we like seeing their games (we usually see our son 5 or 6 times a game). We had DirecTV for years and paid heftily for NFL Sunday Ticket. This is the last year for them with this package. Likely next year will be Apple TV or Amazon. There are a few streaming services and NFL has a package on their website. May be able to mirror it to your TV.
__________________
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 7,140
M.O.C. #4831
The world of viewing NFL football is changing. Currently, NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV is the only service to offer ALL regular season games whether local or remote. There are ways to watch local and nation-wide broadcasts using streaming packages (NFL+, Hulu, Apple TV, etc.) or even OTA. But for every game, anywhere, DTV's NFL Sunday Ticket is it for this year. Next year the game changes as the existing exclusive contract ends and new provider(s) will be selected.

Most likely a streaming service will emerge as the provider and that will require an internet connection. Selecting one of those is yet another discussion.
__________________
Carl (n Susan)
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:40 PM   #5
kowbra
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Battleford
Posts: 627
M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I would suggest before spending money on either Dish Network or DirecTV, you look into the up and coming new system: Star Link. Don't know a lot about it myself, but from those I've talked to that have it say it's great.
I like to follow KYD on youtube; here is an episode on Starlink and why they think it's a great backup internet service...


I'm following Starlink closely... Biggest thing for me is that it is now $135/month for the RV service. IF you need unlimited (no throttling) bandwidth, AND where you travel is in the service area, then maybe it is worth it. But, my cell phone plan with 20gb is half the price and can be used as a hotspot when needed. Even if I got Starlink, I'd still need a phone and data plan, so not sure I could ever find enough savings to make Starlink anything other than a new, significant, cost.

One thing that I believe is already happening is that providers like ATT, etc, have raised their monthly usage caps for their plans. So, instead of the typical 20gb like I have, now I'm seeing some 100gb+ plans. I have to wonder if Starlink has them concerned.
Competition can be good!

Now, back to the original question, am I ready for some football? Oh ya!!!

Brad
__________________
2021 Montana 3790RD, Legacy, Super Solar Flex
2020 RAM 3500 Limited, HO
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:22 PM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master
 
Foldbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 1,889
M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The world of viewing NFL football is changing. Currently, NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV is the only service to offer ALL regular season games whether local or remote. There are ways to watch local and nation-wide broadcasts using streaming packages (NFL+, Hulu, Apple TV, etc.) or even OTA. But for every game, anywhere, DTV's NFL Sunday Ticket is it for this year. Next year the game changes as the existing exclusive contract ends and new provider(s) will be selected.

Most likely a streaming service will emerge as the provider and that will require an internet connection. Selecting one of those is yet another discussion.

I meant DTV in my post not Dish. I have the Sunday ticket and the ESPN channel subscription. It sounds like a DTV setup is the way to go in 2022. Things may change going forward. I don't full time so I'm not interested in an annual sub unless it's something I'll use at home. A DTV setup doesn't help my internet streaming such as fire stick or smart TV. I dont want to invest in everything all at once. Small bites of a big elephant. It sounds like DTV and a router would solve everything for now but I don't want to added monthly.


So who has a DTV mobile plan?
__________________
Tony & Donna
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2K inverter, 200AH Lithium. 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:54 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 7,140
M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
.....So who has a DTV mobile plan?...
I do. And in reward for being a loyal customer and having a big buck plan, I am getting the NFL Sunday Ticket for free this Sep. Not that I care but I have out of town sons who are VERY happy!
__________________
Carl (n Susan)
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: LYNDEN
Posts: 286
M.O.C. #30751
I watched the SeaHawks/Steelers game on my TV via our Starlink last Sunday. At home I subscribe to Xfinity and record all SeaHawk games. I then go online and go to Xfinity, log in and go to my recordings and choose what I want to see in this case the SeaHawks game. Generally I watch it when it's about over live. This way I can fast forward commercials. I'll watch all the Buckeye and Notre Dame games this way too.
__________________
2003 Holiday Rambler Navigator 43PKD 500HP 11L Cummins ISM
2005 Keystone Montana 2955RL (sold)
1999 F350 SC (sold)
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master
 
Foldbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 1,889
M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I do. And in reward for being a loyal customer and having a big buck plan, I am getting the NFL Sunday Ticket for free this Sep. Not that I care but I have out of town sons who are VERY happy!

Carl, What equipment did you buy and where did you get it? Did you replace the existing antenna or is the dish portable? Is it King or DTV and what are you using for a receiver? It's a bit confusing with DTV vers Dish. I see DTV has an upgrade for a mobile plan. Is it HD? I also have Sunday ticket. I'm looking for the most cost effective solution. Thanks, Tony
__________________
Tony & Donna
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2K inverter, 200AH Lithium. 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 7,140
M.O.C. #4831
Tony: I am on the road this morning so it will have to be later today before I can, and will, respond.
__________________
Carl (n Susan)
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:44 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 7,140
M.O.C. #4831
I have DirecTV and decided HD with SWM was the only way to go for me. I have two options.
1. I have an automatic rooftop antenna from RF Mogul that is my primary antenna. It is pricey at around $2K. But just pushing one button is worth it

2. When blocked by trees or whatever, I use a portable SL3 antenna. I cannibalized a couple of antennas from folks who had moved on. But Solid Signal sells the antenna pieces parts (reflector, LNG Arm, SWM LNB, and mount for a reasonable cost ($100+ last I looked) - https://www.solidsignal.com/DIRECTV-...-SLSP-3D2RBLNB . Obviously a cannibalized system is cheaper.

You also want a tripod to mount the antenna on. The best bet, hands down, is the tripod from TV4RV. They sell the tripod, a bubble level, and compass to ensure the antenna is vertical (muy importante). This was around $175 last I looked http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

Dishpointer.com will give you the azimuth, skew, and elevation setting for the location where you are. Make the adjustments required to the antenna and mount it vertically on the tripod.

Getting the antenna locked on to the DTV signal is not difficult but takes a little practice. I have a meter which is no longer available. But when it broke, I used the signal strength screen DTV has on the TV. If you are close to the TV you can hear, and see, when you find the 101 satellite. If you are too far away, use Facetime on two phones, one at the TV and the other with you, to watch the screen and hear the tones.

I have the DTV RV account. They used to sell it as a separate package with equivalent cost to the home package. For part time use, this is pricey. Many folks take their home receiver with them when they travel and use it. This works IF no one if back at the home base wanting to watch DTV. You do lose your local channels once you are about 200-300 miles from your home. Some have had success calling DTV and saying they are at their cabin, 2nd home, anything other than I am in a RV (they hate RVers taking a receiver with them). They will give the local channels for the area you are in as long as you don't try to do it too often. Your OTA antenna (as long as you don't want to DVR the show) will probably work just as well and avoids dealing with DTV.

There are automatic portable antennas out there but they only do SD for DTV. That's a non-starter for me.

Dish has a better RV plan, cheaper than DTV, and gets HD on the automatic portable antenna. But it doesn't have NFL Sunday Ticket
__________________
Carl (n Susan)
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:20 PM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,660
M.O.C. #5751
Used to be a big NFL fan....not any more.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:41 PM   #13
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: LYNDEN
Posts: 286
M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Used to be a big NFL fan....not any more.
Kind of agree with you. Find college ball way more interesting and enjoy it very much, especially Ohio State and Notre Dame. Have 2 SIL's that graduated from the schools.
__________________
2003 Holiday Rambler Navigator 43PKD 500HP 11L Cummins ISM
2005 Keystone Montana 2955RL (sold)
1999 F350 SC (sold)
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:55 PM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,660
M.O.C. #5751
NFL is too political.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #15
Foldbak
Montana Master
 
Foldbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 1,889
M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
NFL is too political.
Thanks for your input but please don't hijack the thread and turn it political My question was pretty specific and is being addressed and others my benefit from it. Thanks.
__________________
Tony & Donna
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2K inverter, 200AH Lithium. 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:53 PM   #16
dfb
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Gardnerville
Posts: 1,250
M.O.C. #17163
I used to Love football.. Playing it and watching it... The game has been ruined for me..don't watch anymore...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:38 AM   #17
Foldbak
Montana Master
 
Foldbak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Shingle Springs
Posts: 1,889
M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I have DirecTV and decided HD with SWM was the only way to go for me. I have two options.
1. I have an automatic rooftop antenna from RF Mogul that is my primary antenna. It is pricey at around $2K. But just pushing one button is worth it

2. When blocked by trees or whatever, I use a portable SL3 antenna. I cannibalized a couple of antennas from folks who had moved on. But Solid Signal sells the antenna pieces parts (reflector, LNG Arm, SWM LNB, and mount for a reasonable cost ($100+ last I looked) - https://www.solidsignal.com/DIRECTV-...-SLSP-3D2RBLNB . Obviously a cannibalized system is cheaper.

You also want a tripod to mount the antenna on. The best bet, hands down, is the tripod from TV4RV. They sell the tripod, a bubble level, and compass to ensure the antenna is vertical (muy importante). This was around $175 last I looked http://tv4rv.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

Dishpointer.com will give you the azimuth, skew, and elevation setting for the location where you are. Make the adjustments required to the antenna and mount it vertically on the tripod.

Getting the antenna locked on to the DTV signal is not difficult but takes a little practice. I have a meter which is no longer available. But when it broke, I used the signal strength screen DTV has on the TV. If you are close to the TV you can hear, and see, when you find the 101 satellite. If you are too far away, use Facetime on two phones, one at the TV and the other with you, to watch the screen and hear the tones.

I have the DTV RV account. They used to sell it as a separate package with equivalent cost to the home package. For part time use, this is pricey. Many folks take their home receiver with them when they travel and use it. This works IF no one if back at the home base wanting to watch DTV. You do lose your local channels once you are about 200-300 miles from your home. Some have had success calling DTV and saying they are at their cabin, 2nd home, anything other than I am in a RV (they hate RVers taking a receiver with them). They will give the local channels for the area you are in as long as you don't try to do it too often. Your OTA antenna (as long as you don't want to DVR the show) will probably work just as well and avoids dealing with DTV.

There are automatic portable antennas out there but they only do SD for DTV. That's a non-starter for me.

Dish has a better RV plan, cheaper than DTV, and gets HD on the automatic portable antenna. But it doesn't have NFL Sunday Ticket
I decided to order a Winegard router. I discovered that I can stream and cast DTV thorough my phone to the TV. This is a quick cheap easy solution for now. I'll pick your brain later for a permanent solution.
__________________
Tony & Donna
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, Solar Flex 400, Onan 3600 LPG, 2K inverter, 200AH Lithium. 2020 GMC Denali 2500 6.6 Duramax, Demco 21K Auto Slide
Foldbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:00 PM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team
 
Carl n Susan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Carmichael - CA
Posts: 7,140
M.O.C. #4831
Well maybe I need to pick your brain. I have both DirecTV apps (the old one and the new one) and neither wants to work unless I am on the same WiFi system as the Genie. It doesn't sound right to me but their reputation for apps hasn't been stealer.
__________________
Carl (n Susan)
There is more to life than fuel mileage.
2012 Montana 3700RL Big Sky Package towed by a 2015 Ford F350 6.7L PSD 4WD CC LWB

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #19
VagabondLove
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Full Timer
Posts: 109
M.O.C. #27665
Go Pats!!! I have access to a comcast account, and like Joint Venture II, I agree with recording the games and then watching them slightly delayed. But, if the game I want is not being shown in the locale where the comcast account is based (Florida, in my case), I am usually S.O.L. So, in addition to setting up a global recording of anything "Patriots", I also leverage nflreplay.net to watch the game the day after, for free. As full timers following the weather, Sundays tend to be a moving day for us, and my partner does not really care for football (she prefers cooking competitions), so watching it a day later is not a big deal for me as long as I stay away from the sports news. If I ever *need* to see a game live that is not available via rabbit ears or the CG cable TV, I can usually find a local sports bar to catch the game.

NFL Direct is not only expensive, but I found that it did not really work for me (I forget whether it was technology-related issues or coverage/blackout issues) and I canceled it quite quickly (and then had to fight to get the charges reversed!). So, for me, recording it or streaming it is a fine solution.
__________________
Full-Timing since 2018 in a 2013 3625RE, 2023 Ford F450DRW with High Output Diesel,
Custom kingpin-mounted hitch receiver for bike rack 2019
MorRyde I/S with 8K Axles & Goodyear G114 Tires on 17.5Ē aluminum wheels 2020
FlexArmor roof 2021, WeBoost Connect RV 65
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:38 PM   #20
dfryk
Seasoned Camper
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: ripon
Posts: 50
M.O.C. #19708
Smile Watching football

We have Dish Network at home. On the road we have a Tailgater portable dish to pick up the satellites. We love it. We can set it to receive either our local channels from home or the local channels where we are camped. Because we have Dish at home, it only costs us $7/month for the RV and you can turn it on and off if you are not going to be out for the next month.

We also have a remote hard drive so we can record from the receiver. This works great except that you can only record one program at a time unlike our Hopper receiver at home than can record multiple programs even while watching something else.

One issue that we have is the the power that runs through the receiver is not enough to send the signal from the satellite connection in the basement through the coach to our TV. Consequently, after I locate the dish outside the coach, I run the cable through a window and directly into the receiver above the TV. This works great although it takes a couple of minutes longer than if we could use the pre-wire though the coach. (Our Montana is a 2016. Dish techs have told me this is a common issue.)

Finally, we prefer a portable dish rather than hard mounted on top. This way we can move it around for best reception in areas where a tree would otherwise block the reception from a top-mounted dish.

PS: Wife and I are long-time football fans that have chosen not to allow NFL politics to deny our pleasure from watching the games. It is hard at times and we usually record games for later viewing so we can fast forward through commercials and political announcements.
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.