Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2024, 01:24 PM   #1
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
The mice have been hard at work

Went get something out of the camper today and discovered that mice have been snacking on some wires and hydraulic lines. Right where it goes through the bulkhead from the battery compartment to the underbelly.

Got a three wire bundle with one wire chewed in two and half is behind the bulkhead, and a hydraulic line gnawed right where it passes through. I guess the next step is to pull the under belly and start looking for which line?

riflegunbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 01:40 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Woah boy....best hurry up and get a handle. I had a friend lose his 150K toy hauler in one season due to mice. No use for 3 months and it was a complete total! Basement, walls and ceiling.
Old 01-01-2024, 07:04 PM   #3
Woodyswanch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13390
Just ordered some "Tomcat, Rodent Repellent" spray cans. I heard some good news on it's effectiveness. I'll post after I spray some on the fiver.
Woodyswanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:41 PM   #4
Sparatacus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodyswanch View Post
Just ordered some "Tomcat, Rodent Repellent" spray cans. I heard some good news on it's effectiveness. I'll post after I spray some on the fiver.

This is what I use and so far I haven't seen any, I also set traps by the inside of my tires and my front jacks, the kind that have the alligator mouth. I try to catch them before they come in and so far by setting up those traps I have caught a lot of them.

So with the combination of those so far I haven't had any mice coming it, I hate mice.
Sparatacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 05:20 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
We have had two of these Rat Zapper traps from Amazon. They are very effective and no danger of poison around our dogs or other animals. We usually just put a few pieces of bird seed or dry dog food inside.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 12:05 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
The forward underbelly coroplast is not hard to remove/reinstall. I just did that recently to replace the black tank valve seals, added more insulation, closed up any air gaps, tightened the black tank flush supply pipe (it was loose, got a full turn on the fitting).
SmartSHIELD -20mm 48"X25ft Reflective Insulation Roll, Foam Core Radiant Barrier, Thermal Foil Insulation Panel - 0.8 Inch Thickness, R-23 https://a.co/d/2FWfu1C

I insulated completely around the inside of the steel beam frame, then one whole piece across the bottom.
I previously put copper pan scrubber in the holes between the battery compartment and underbelly.
1st picture is where the wiring/hydraulic lines come from the battery compartment. I added a pull string in case I need to pull any wiring through here in the future.
2nd picture is the added Insulation around the frame where the valves are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20231117_115717.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	16223   Click image for larger version

Name:	20231117_115657.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	16224   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV bottom insulation .jpg
Views:	44
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	16225  
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:00 PM   #7
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
Thanks Daryles, I stopped at the RV repair shop I use this morning. He told me to pull the underbelly like you show and if I can't repair it he will send someone over. Looks like two wired and two hydraulic hoses are damaged.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:39 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
The forward underbelly coroplast is not hard to remove/reinstall. I just did that recently to replace the black tank valve seals, added more insulation, closed up any air gaps, tightened the black tank flush supply pipe (it was loose, got a full turn on the fitting).
SmartSHIELD -20mm 48"X25ft Reflective Insulation Roll, Foam Core Radiant Barrier, Thermal Foil Insulation Panel - 0.8 Inch Thickness, R-23 https://a.co/d/2FWfu1C

I insulated completely around the inside of the steel beam frame, then one whole piece across the bottom.
I previously put copper pan scrubber in the holes between the battery compartment and underbelly.
1st picture is where the wiring/hydraulic lines come from the battery compartment. I added a pull string in case I need to pull any wiring through here in the future.
2nd picture is the added Insulation around the frame where the valves are.
Wow impressed! But that wiring
Old 01-03-2024, 05:36 AM   #9
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
Wow impressed! But that wiring
Yeah, it's a mess. I suspended the wiring and hydraulic lines with loops of Gorilla tape fastened to the inside of the I beam. I put 6" pieces of tape face to face to cover the sticky part so the wiring doesn't stick to it.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:42 AM   #10
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
To help keep rodents out and block up drafts (keeps the rig warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer) I closed up the holes around the frame with Gorilla tape. I used aluminum flashing around the jack holes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Air gaps Jacks J channel hole.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	16227  
Old 01-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #11
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
Update!
Wiring is repaired. I have figured out that two of the damaged hoses go to the hydraulic slides. So I guess tomorrow I can drop some underbelly behind the axles and locate the slide out cylinders.
Old 01-03-2024, 05:04 PM   #12
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Walton,

Is it leaking hyd fluid?

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 05:07 PM   #13
riflegunbuilder
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23386
Just on the 4 hoses the mice gnawed holes in. I have identified 2 of the four as the hoses going to the ODS/DS cut off valves.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:44 PM   #14
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Use some copper wool (steel wool will rust)(without any soap in it) to fill in any gaps or where they might try to chew through. You can also wrap some around any wires or hydraulic lines they might chew on. Mice hate that copper wool. You might see a chew mark but they will not chew through. Hold it on with some Gorilla tape wrapped around it loosely. That should take care of the problem. I was able to catch the mouse problem early and used the copper wool method and never had an issue since. Hope it works for you.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:08 PM   #15
ayerforce

M.O.C. #33472
We place about a dozen bars of Irish Spring soap throughout our rig during the off season. Every room, near every slide, every storage compartment. They get placed on 6" x 6" paper plates. I have never seen a rodent dropping or experienced any damage (knock on wood!).
Old 01-07-2024, 05:25 PM   #16
bgjon56
Established Member

M.O.C. #33414
Where do you go or live that you get that many mice?
bgjon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:18 PM   #17
miket49
Established Member

M.O.C. #22662
Daryles black tank value seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Yeah, it's a mess. I suspended the wiring and hydraulic lines with loops of Gorilla tape fastened to the inside of the I beam. I put 6" pieces of tape face to face to cover the sticky part so the wiring doesn't stick to it.
How big of a job is it to replace the black tank value seal ?? not counting taking down the bottom
miket49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:07 PM   #18
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Leaky black tank valve seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by miket49 View Post
How big of a job is it to replace the black tank value seal ?? not counting taking down the bottom
Don't know if this question and mice problems belong in the same thread - but here is my solution to a leaky black tank valve.

Not too long after we had the RV - an "obstruction" at the valve prevented it from closing 100% (see sketch below) and everytime I opened the cap at the campground I received a special wet stinky nasty surprise of water pouring out...not much - but ENOUGH! Found the answer here in the forum. Added a valve at the end of the discharge pipe to hook my sewer hose to. When I was completely plumbed to the campground sewer I open the valve and let it drain. My setup is pictured below.

Since I added this second valve - I do not have to remove the coroplast bottom sheeting and replace the valve. I will replace the valve...someday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2024-01-08_13-33-09.png
Views:	7
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	16258   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-01-08_13-51-33.png
Size:	557.3 KB
ID:	16259   Click image for larger version

Name:	2024-01-08_13-32-13.png
Views:	8
Size:	970.2 KB
ID:	16260  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:45 PM   #19
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by miket49 View Post
It's actually not that difficult a job.
Putting the coroplast back up was a pain.

Ok. I used a 1/4" socket on a drill in reverse and pried down under the fender washers with a pry bar. The nails come right out.
Once the coroplast and reflectex insulation (R3, lame) is removed everything is right there in front of you.
I previously drained, flushed and winterized the rig so I knew the tank was dry.
The valve itself has 4 bolts mounting it to the pipe. Remove them and the valve comes out. BTW it's a Bristol valve. Most people replace it with a Valterra valve. I decided to try replacing the valve seal first.
Once the valve is out the seal come off easily. Put the new seals in and lubricate them and the blade with silicon grease. Reassemble the valve. Do whatever improvements you plan. I added insulation. I wanted to also add Mopeka tank sensors, but that will be next time.
I also added grease points to the valves and sprayed silicon Lubricant in the hole.
Valve lubrication making lube holes for silicon grease

Inspect EVERYTHING!!! I found the black tank flush fitting loose. I tightened it up at least 1 full turn.
I ran a pull string from the battery compartment to behind the convenience center. I'm planning on pulling a 4 gauge wire from the batteries to the MPPT in the basement to upgrade the MPPT to a 150/70.
When putting the coroplast back up I used leveling blocks and Telescoping poles I use for the Satellite dish and the WeBoost antenna. The poles and blocks help hold up the coroplast while you are getting the new screws in.
Use 1" #12 self tapping bolts through the nail holes. Push hard. If you don't use the existing nail holes push harder. They will drill through.
1st picture the old seal. You can see it was all wrinkled up where the blade crushed it. This tank valve leaked from the first day we owned the rig.
2nd picture the valves looking aft.
3rd picture the bolts to put the coroplast back up.
I added extra bolts and fender washers along the front and back edge for extra support.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Plumbing black tank valve seal.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	240.7 KB
ID:	16262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing tank supports pipes electrical wiring .jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	16263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowout repair parts coroplast bottom.jpg
Size:	597.2 KB
ID:	16264  
Old 01-09-2024, 08:07 AM   #20
Doug Brown
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10001
Mice

I watched an article on YouTube about the wiring on the new cars. The the article said a lot of new cars wiring harnesses are made with soy instead of oil based plastic. I wonder if this is true?
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote