Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2023, 10:10 AM   #1
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Running Lights

Morning everyone,
There are three things we do before leaving a site once the truck is hooked up to our Montana:
Tow/haul on
Engine brake on
Check all lights.
Blinkers good, reverse lights good, brake lights good.
Yikes! No running lights! The truck knows when the cable is plugged in, it tells my I have a trailer connected (I suppose in case I forget.)
Ok, looks like we leave after light
I switched the two 30A fuses for the trailer (Ford) in the truck.
I moved the trailer plug from the bed connector to the exterior connector. All with the same results.
When we stop this afternoon I’ll take a look at the connections in the box on the 5th wheel hitch. My biggest fear is we moved a mouse from point A to point B.
Any hints on where the wiring bundle for the lights run?
Montana 3150RL. Sorry for any weird spellings/grammar. Wife is driving and I’m on a small phone.
I think she’s aiming for the bumps!

shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 11:40 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
By chance did you forget to turn on the running lights for the truck?
Old 09-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer wiring 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	15567  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 01:18 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Did you check for 12V on the truck's 7 pin connector?

I believe the "trailer connected" message is a function of the brake line making a connection. It has nothing to do with the running lights.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 02:34 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
You can put a jumper between pins 4 (12 volts) and 3 (running lights) on your trailer cord to check your running lights. If they work with that jumper then your trailer wiring is good. If they don’t work with the jumper then there is where you begin troubleshooting.

If they work with the jumper then the problem is with your truck. Get a 7 pin tester to plug into your truck connector. My truck had a connector in the bed and another at the bumper. When I plugged into the in-bed connector one of the pins would not always conduct. (Been a few years but I think it was the running lights) I could push and wiggle the connector and the lights would come on. The bumper connector always worked fine. I ended up replacing the in-bed connector as I preferred to plug in there.

https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Trail...11324560&psc=1
Attached Images

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 06:36 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
On my GM I have fuses for Trailer Lites in the fuse/relay panel in the engine compartment. Just recently checking lites we were missing the Left Turn, found that fuse blown, replaced and all good.
Old 09-26-2023, 03:41 PM   #7
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
Thank you everyone for your replies. It was a simple thing. My truck, a 2017, Ford has 4 fuzes for the trailer alone, Left turn/left brake, right turn/right brake, reverse and running lights. The running light fuse was blown. A 30 amp micro fuze that the one place in the little town did not carry.

Finding it was easy. Grumbling to the wife made her remember we have the the exact same issue with the previous trailer and that I had changed a fuze under the hood. I checked the manual again, and I should have turned one more page.

She said something about watching me as I get older. I'm not sure what she means by that.
Old 09-28-2023, 01:57 PM   #8
SteveHirsch

M.O.C. #32233
Is there a fuse for the running lights in the trailer?
SteveHirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 04:17 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I am unaware of a fuse for the running lights in the RV. That system (running, tail, and backup lights) are independent of the RV wiring.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2023, 05:40 PM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Agree with Carl. All those lights are powered only by the truck. No reason to have additional fuses.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:33 AM   #11
shoe
Established Member

M.O.C. #30477
it was the fuse in the truck. I missed it.
Thanks for all that jumped in.
Old 10-01-2023, 02:53 PM   #12
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe View Post
She said something about watching me as I get older. I'm not sure what she means by that.
I think that is a female issue as your wife has aged. Probably something to do with the right brain/left brain thing.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2023, 09:47 AM   #13
SteveHirsch

M.O.C. #32233
Running Lights out. Tested lights with terminals 3 and 4 on the plug. Lights do turn on. Tested fuses in the truck. They check out. Must be the plug itself. Maybe dirty terminals. Going to apply a cleaner to the terminals to see if that is the problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks
SteveHirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2023, 08:18 AM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHirsch View Post
Running Lights out. Tested lights with terminals 3 and 4 on the plug. Lights do turn on. Tested fuses in the truck. They check out. Must be the plug itself. Maybe dirty terminals. Going to apply a cleaner to the terminals to see if that is the problem. Any other suggestions? Thanks
Use a voltmeter across the truck connector pins 3 and 1 to see if you are getting 12 volts to the tail/running light pin. See connector picture above. Note the picture is of the trailer connector so the truck connector pins will be numbered in the opposite direction.

If no 12 volts there, then there is some problem with the truck.

If 12 volts there, then there could be a problem with the 7 pin cord or the cord connector pins making good contact with the truck connector. My truck had a bumper connector and an in-bed connector. As I mentioned above, sometimes the in-bed connector would not make connection to one the light pins while the bumper connector worked fine.