Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
enjpowell

M.O.C. #18128
First Cold Weather Trip

Being based in SOCAL, it is rare that we camp in temperatures below 40 degrees. But, we are planning a trip to TN next month and I'm looking for advice on cold weather ops. We have a 2011 3665RE. Do I need to drop the undercarriage cover and install tank heaters? Should I keep water in the fresh water tank and not stay connected to the park system? How do I keep things from freezing up as I travel down the road? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

enjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had a 2010 3665RE for a number of years. When parked, never needed tank heaters, but when it was below feezing for more than a couple of hours we used only the furnace to heat the rig so the pipes and tanks stayed warm enough not to freeze. When we traveled, if it was going to be below freezing for more than a few hours I blew out the lines with air and drained the fresh tank. Be prepared to use a lot of propane if it stays as cold as it's been recently.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:17 PM   #3
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
First - welcome to the forum! This is a great place to learn and share.

Cold weather camping can be great and its really not scary unless you get into temps that never get above single digits.

No need to add tank heaters if you don't have them. Your furnace will keep the tanks from freezing unless you get into long term single digit temps. Keep your valves closed until ready to dump. Make or buy a heated water hose of just fill your internal tank if this is a short one time trip. Some electric heaters will save some propane if you are hooked up to shore power.

Your rig will retain a lot of heat even rolling down the road. It does not all freeze up in a few hours if the temps are in the high teens or twenties. If you get high thirties or forties during the day and mid to low twenties at night you really don't need to do anything other than run the furnace for a few hours at night.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
enjpowell

M.O.C. #18128
Thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies. I'm assuming in order to blow out the lines with air, I'd simply shoot air into the city water connection?
enjpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 08:53 PM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
First welcome to the MOC. from Washington St! We camp in winter all the time just do like DQDICK & AZ Traveler said and you will be fine. Safe travels.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjpowell View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome and quick replies. I'm assuming in order to blow out the lines with air, I'd simply shoot air into the city water connection?
I've been in the low teens and had no problem with everything hooked up. I usually set my thermostat at about 62 at night and the heater comes on enough to keep everything thawed out. I don't have tank heaters and don't feel I need them. I also use an electric heater so my gas heater doesn't come on as often as it would without it. If you don't feel comfortable not draining your lines then just open all your faucets and blow out the lines from the city outlet and this will get rid of the vast majority of water.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by enjpowell View Post
Open the low point drains, open the faucets and just use one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Winterize-Mot...lowout+adaptor
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Welcome to the forum. When we were full timing in our 3400 we did not have any problem until it got below zero. Make sure you run the furnace so your tanks will not freeze.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #9
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Welcome to the forum from Nebraska. I pretty much concur with what the others are telling you about while you are in the RV at the campground. But while on the road things can freeze up pretty fast. A couple of years ago we left Omaha in late Dec and headed South and stopped in Topeka, Ks for 2 days to celebrate Christrmas. We were winterized when we left Omaha and de-winterized when we arrived Topeka. After staying there for 2 days with the furnace on, we left on a morning when it was 9 degrees at 7AM. When we left Topeka at 10Am it was 20 deg. An hour later we stopped to used the RV bathroom and the pump was froze up. I ran the furnace for 15 minutes and the pump started running. Every hour when we stopped, had the same issue so I'd run the furnace for 10-15 mins. By the time we got to the Oklahoma border temps got above 32 and the problem was solved.

You have to map out your weather ahead of time and update it daily while you are traveling. If I was in Calif. and was going to hit cold weather and was going to be traveling in it for a couple of days or more, I would winterize at the last RV Park just before I hit the cold weather (below freezing). If you can, select RV Parks that have rest rooms and showers. Once out of the cold area, de-winterize.

If you are traveling in and out of numerous cold areas, 32 degrees is not going to bust any pipes. I've kinda had 28 degrees as a temp I didn't want to go below if there wasn't any heat in the RV.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yikes cold weather RVing is a different animal all together. Something I have never done. Also something I don’t want to do. That said just reading this thread provides me with insight as to what to do if we were caught in the cold.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #11
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
About five years ago we were assisting family with medical issues, north of Kansas City, MO, and left there right about now in December. Temperatures were finally warmed up to the lower teens when we left, and because all of our floor heater vents are clear when the slides are in, we ran with the heater on. We stopped for the night somewhere in Kansas, went to get dinner and fuel, and returned to the rig for the night. Unfortunately while we were gone, someone decided they wanted one of our propane tanks, disconnected the hose fitting, but the tank was locked and did not take the tank. The next day, almost to Clovis, NM, we pulled over for a restroom stop, and discovered the heater was not on and the water was frozen, so when we got to the RV park, I told the fellow we needed propane because I thought we were totally out, and that is when we found the problem with the tank being disconnected. When running in sub-freezing temps and your heater vents are clear, the furnace will keep your water system from freezing. We typically turn the furnace off when traveling, but only when extremely cold we will run the furnace.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #12
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
Yea, the joys of escaping the winter. We struggle to get out of it. Then after spending 3-4 months in a warmer climate, we discover in some years that we have to winterize again before we get back home.

Thanks Dick for the link to the coupler on Amazon. I ordered one today to have in case I get caught somewhere without antifreeze.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #13
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We travel from northern NY to GA usually in Oct or Nov and sometimes leave in single or low double digit temps. I keep it plugged in with furnace on as we pack and ofter run the furnace while on the road to keep pipes thawed. Just remember to turn it off when fueling. Also if you blow out the pipes be sure to lower the pressure on the compressor to around 20 lbs so you don't damage pipes.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote