Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2021, 07:03 PM   #1
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Too much sway on rough roads

During a recent trip we started to experience way more side to side sway than I would like. On smooth highways the trailer is stable and tracks well. But when the surface is rutted or when going over bridge transitions the amount of left to right sway is noticeable and sometimes concerning. Is it just our poorly maintained highways, I-40 either side of Flagstaff for example, or should I be looking for a mechanical issue? I would be interested to know what other peoples experiences are.

For background, we have a 2013 290RLT pulled by a 2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel using a recent Curt A20 slider/Ram puck system (in the tow position). Tires on the trailer a recent Sailun's of the correct size a load capacity.

The trailer has Mor/Ryde CRE/3000 suspension. I have not had a chance to inspect the bushings but I'm leaning towards installing the Mor/Ryde HD shackle upgrade kit as a first step.

Anyones comments or experience would be appreciated.

BritBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:42 AM   #2
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I would check your suspension and tire pressure.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Definitely look at the suspension. Look at tire spacing side to side. You could have a broken spring, bad shackles or loose U-Bolts. You will find a lot of information on torquing those bolts. After 8 years, depending on mileage, it could be a lot of things. Good luck and let us know if you find something.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBox View Post
During a recent trip we started to experience way more side to side sway than I would like. On smooth highways the trailer is stable and tracks well. But when the surface is rutted or when going over bridge transitions the amount of left to right sway is noticeable and sometimes concerning. Is it just our poorly maintained highways, I-40 either side of Flagstaff for example, or should I be looking for a mechanical issue? I would be interested to know what other peoples experiences are.

For background, we have a 2013 290RLT pulled by a 2016 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel using a recent Curt A20 slider/Ram puck system (in the tow position). Tires on the trailer a recent Sailun's of the correct size a load capacity.

The trailer has Mor/Ryde CRE/3000 suspension. I have not had a chance to inspect the bushings but I'm leaning towards installing the Mor/Ryde HD shackle upgrade kit as a first step.

Anyones comments or experience would be appreciated.

I had similar issues with our last rig. It was a Jayco Eagle 5th wheel with ~13000 GVWR, and I had a similar 2016 RAM 2500, with factory air suspension.

Here's what you are dealing with - on the RAM 2500's they have either coil springs or an air spring that mounts in that same location as the coils. Have a look under at your rear suspension and the issue starts to take shape - where your coils mount is several inches inboard on each side compared to where leafs are mounted. RAM wants to have the softest 3/4 ton ride out there, which is why the coils. But that inboard mounting area creates a problem for sway. In fact, go grab the box and tug back and forth, then compare the side to side stiffness to a 3500 RAM, or even another brand of 3/4 ton with leafs.

On the hdrams forum there has been discussions of this. I think I recall that some upgraded their sway bars and that helped. Check over there to see what you can find.

I never did fix the issue as I really try to avoid bad roads whenever I can, and I slowed down when I couldn't. When we bought our new Montana with a 16,600 GVWR, I was clearly going to be overweight on my 2500, so I also upgraded to a RAM 3500 with leafs. I don't have a ton of miles yet, but I do not have the issue I did with the last rig.

Hope that helps!

Brad
Old 08-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
#1 Towing a 14k fifth wheel with nearly any 2500 truck will be over weight.
#2 I think what you are feeling is the squirm from the trucks rear tires.

I have felt that before which is why I will not tow a heavy unit without a dually truck. The difference is a night and day towing experience.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #6
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Thanks for all of the insights. The rear tires on the truck (Michelin)are at almost 50k miles and getting quite close to the wear markers. They will be replaced shortly as a matter of course. Perhaps that will address the issue since sway was not a concern up until this last trip. We will probably stay parked in the forest around Flagstaff (AZ) until mid October so I have plenty of time to tinker with bearings and bushings etc. Again, thanks for your insights.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:36 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Martyn- Speed can cause what you are experiencing also. Not saying you were traveling at high speed but if your tires are getting close to change out on the tow vehicle they will heat up a little faster and cause the flex in the tires. Also, if you are checking the suspension, and you have the wet-bolt system make sure you do no over torque the wet bolts. They are to be torqued at 45-50 anything over that can strip the threads and the nuts can work themselves loose. It is NOT recommended to use any type of lock washer on them either. This came from MorRyde themselves when a friend called them when he lost a bolt and etc of a wet bolt set up. I also had a spring hanger break at the frame and caused some real tire wear on the opposite side tire. Luckily the spring caught on the frame and didn't got through the floor or up into the belly section.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 01:14 PM   #8
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Has anyone used the Timbren TDR2500D suspension enhancers?

I can't find any mechanical issues with the trailer and I'm inclined to side with Kowbra that its the coil springs on the Ram 2500 that are less resistance to sway than leaf spring models.

With deference to Occam's razor (that the simplest and most obvious solution is often the best) I'm leading towards air bags or suspension enhancers. Lots of sources speak highly of the results. The Timbren enhancer offerings have the advantages of being relatively inexpensive, easy to install and do not impact the unloaded ride quality.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:24 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:

I can't find any mechanical issues with the trailer and I'm inclined to side with Kowbra that its the coil springs on the Ram 2500 that are less resistance to sway than leaf spring models.

With deference to Occam's razor (that the simplest and most obvious solution is often the best) I'm leading towards air bags or suspension enhancers. Lots of sources speak highly of the results. The Timbren enhancer offerings have the advantages of being relatively inexpensive, easy to install and do not impact the unloaded ride quality.
I bought a set of Timberlins for my 2011 Duramax. Then transferred them to the 2014 dually. Now they are on my 2018 dually. I don't think they help much with sway per se.
But they certainly lessen the bounce and the squat
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:32 AM   #10
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Quote:

I have Timbrens on my F350. The really take out the bouncing or porpoising on rough roads and bridge or overpass transitions. I haven't had any sway issues before or after the Timbrens, but that's not really what they are for. I prefer them to air bags as there's no maintenance and no worry of leaks. They've been great.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 04:58 AM   #11
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I bought a set of Timberlins for my 2011 Duramax. Then transferred them to the 2014 dually. Now they are on my 2018 dually. I don't think they help much with sway per se.
But they certainly lessen the bounce and the squat
I have had them on two different trucks. Like beeje, I've never had a sway issue before or after the Timbrens but they do help with bounce and squat. I did have the stud on one break after 11 years. Great company that lived up to their life time warranty.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:51 PM   #12
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Great improvement with Timbren TDR2500D

Very pleased with the stability improvements after installing the Timbren TDR2500D suspension enhancers. Install took a leisurely hour, with no jacking or tire removal needed. Replacing one of the four bolts is a bit tricky but do-able for most shade tree mechanics with no need for special tools. Very much like that no maintenance of adjustment is needed and that unloaded ride control is not impacted very much. Rig feels much more stable with no significant sway and controlled bounce on rough surfaces.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #13
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have used Timbren's. They worked well. I have been fortunate to have own, many Trucks, several GM 2500hd's, 3500hd's, 4500hd. even a Freightliner sports chassis.

The way you load the RV, is a key issues, location of added STUFF. I'm mean STUFF. We in the beginning back in 2005 we was always buying STUFF we didn't need, see and RVer setting up, oh we need that. It became very expensive, and lots of weight we didn't need.

As for what type Truck, no matter the discussion, seems to always go off the road. Many will in fact say you need a dually! The only Truck I ever owned when no one, not one person said I needed a larger Truck. It is difficult for many, I'm no expert, however, I have been there and done that.

YOU and only YOU can control the weight that is added to your RV. Good luck with your choice. Want and need is difficult many times. I do believe what ever Truck, the key is YOU the driver.

Happy trails.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 04:06 PM   #14
BritBox
Established Member

M.O.C. #29286
Tell that to the front seat passenger!!!!
Old 10-04-2021, 05:04 PM   #15
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Very pleased with the stability improvements after installing the Timbren TDR2500D suspension enhancers. Install took a leisurely hour, with no jacking or tire removal needed. Replacing one of the four bolts is a bit tricky but do-able for most shade tree mechanics with no need for special tools. Very much like that no maintenance of adjustment is needed and that unloaded ride control is not impacted very much. Rig feels much more stable with no significant sway and controlled bounce on rough surfaces.
Thanks very much for coming back and giving us the update!
I'm glad to hear they worked well for you; I really considered putting them on our 2500 when we had it but didn't know anyone who could share real world results.

Brad
Old 10-05-2021, 01:25 PM   #16
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:

I have the Timbrens on my 3500, love them, takes any squat away< i think it is a better ride too.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moryde, suspension, sway