Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2021, 10:01 AM   #21
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I'll add this tidbit: While many refuse to use Camp Ground water anything other than Showing and Flushing, we've been camping sine 1974 and have only used camp ground water for all those years, from tents, pop-ups, travel trailers and fifthwheels and we're still living to talk about it.

Old 12-30-2021, 10:31 AM   #22
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodellj View Post
I had one of those Camco blue heated hoses and every time I went to use it, it was about as stiff as copper pipe. I tried running hot water through it before trying to uncoil it and it had little effect. It was so stiff that I was afraid I was going to crack the hose and cause a leak! So what do you think of it and how do you like it? My conclusion was that it was meant for seasonal full-time use and needed to be set up on a warm sunny day!
Glad I’m not the only one. That darned hose is almost impossible to store efficiently because it’s so stiff. Why can’t someone make a heated hose that’s flexible? I also made the mistake of buying a blue Campco regular hose. Same problem. Fool me twice shame on me.
Bad Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:32 AM   #23
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
I'll add this tidbit: While many refuse to use Camp Ground water anything other than Showing and Flushing, we've been camping sine 1974 and have only used camp ground water for all those years, from tents, pop-ups, travel trailers and fifthwheels and we're still living to talk about it.
You obviously built up an immunity. :-)
Old 12-30-2021, 01:26 PM   #24
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I agree with reply 15 (mhs4771) I'd guess reply 13 with the plumber that says "frost proof hydrants aren't allowed/approved for drinking water" doesn't camp at most any state or Corps Parks. Most all of those we frequent in KS, MO, NEB, SD, AR, and TX have the frost proof hydrants.
Agreed.

Peregrine Pines at the AFA also has them. It's noteworthy that they'll fine you $50.00 if they catch your hose hooked up to the faucet when it gets below freezing.

Picture is not our rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-12-30 at 15.22.55.png
Views:	40
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	10856  
R.S.O'Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #25
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Same here but only since March 2018. We only buy "jug water" if it tastes bad.
Old 12-31-2021, 04:46 AM   #26
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.S.O'Donnell View Post
Same here but only since March 2018. We only buy "jug water" if it tastes bad.
Agree. We are currently in SC low country and the CG provides well water. It tests high with electrolytes but is within range of safe drinking, however it has a somewhat salty taste, so we use bottled water for drinking and coffee. We also turned off the ice maker and buy ice. It's so soft it's difficult to rinse off in the shower.

DebNJim B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 08:13 AM   #27
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
When you understand how backflow works, and you read on these blogs some of the things other RVrs do. (like removing the check valve on their black tank flush, for instance), you would never drink camp water. But then, people go to Mexico and drink the water, and some get horribly sick, while others are unaffected. I prefer to buy a few 99 cent gallons of water at Safeway, and not worry.
Old 12-31-2021, 09:04 AM   #28
R.S.O'Donnell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
When you understand how backflow works, and you read on these blogs some of the things other RVrs do. (like removing the check valve on their black tank flush, for instance), you would never drink camp water. But then, people go to Mexico and drink the water, and some get horribly sick, while others are unaffected. I prefer to buy a few 99 cent gallons of water at Safeway, and not worry.
I absolutely understand how back flow works, and that RVers remove the preventers on black tank flush circuits, and why bathtub faucets have to be above the rim of the tub. And I still drink campground water....

On many occasion I've also strained brown standing swamp water through a "drive on rag", treated it with iodine tablets, and eagerly drank it when it was ready.

It's just one of those things I don't obsess over.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:47 AM   #29
jaxpoet

M.O.C. #31986
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBuffordTJ View Post
I purchased one of these blue sheathed heated water supply lines from CamCo and will be hooking it up in a few days when I return from a short trip to see my kid in TN.

Question: is it best to (or even ok) to insulate this hose with standard foam pipe insulation? I am planning to add it to the line and tape it up.

Thanks in advance.
Hi! Winter camping newbie here. About to go full time in our Mountaineer. I saw a Facebook add for camping world for a heater that hooks between the faucet and the hose. Has anyone had experience with this how do they work?
jaxpoet is offline   Reply With Quote