Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2022, 05:41 PM   #1
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Anyone have a Magnum CSW2012 inverter in their rig?

I am at a loss. I just spent all day replacing my inverter, remote switch and cable on my 2022 3 month old 295rl only to have the same problem. Montana sent me a replacement that I install because I don't have time to wait for the dealer to do since we're boondocking next weekend.

• Can enter programing but can save changes or exit programing. It just stays in program mode
  • Inverter works and supplies AC and goes into bypass mode when shore or gen is present
  • When shore/gen power drops the inverter stays in bypass
  • The power button doesn't work
  • I have to exit the trailer and cycle the inverter battery switch for it to start inverting
I can't be the only one having this problem! Someone else must be experiencing the same problem. The Dimensions Magnum is a piece of crap and I can't believe that Keystone would spec this garbage in their top of the line product.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

I would not consider Montana "top of the line" and High Country is a step below Montana. It is probably mid grade to mid grade plus.

There are higher end inverters that you could install if cycling the battery switch gets to be too big a pain. The Magnum Energy and Go Power hybrid inverter chargers are both much better units. Hybrid inverters will add more power than a genny or 30 amp service when needed by pulling additional energy out of your battery bank.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 11:47 AM   #3
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Tony,

I would not consider Montana "top of the line" and High Country is a step below Montana. It is probably mid grade to mid grade plus.

There are higher end inverters that you could install if cycling the battery switch gets to be too big a pain. The Magnum Energy and Go Power hybrid inverter chargers are both much better units. Hybrid inverters will add more power than a genny or 30 amp service when needed by pulling additional energy out of your battery bank.

While I thank you for your attempt to answer my question it wasn't much help.

Title of thread (Anyone have a Magnum CSW2012 inverter in their rig?)

The question was very specific. I was asking for an answer from another member that may have the same 2022 setup. Or at least someone that can help provide me with assistance that has first hand experience.

As far as pointing out that my $90,000 investment is "mid grade at best" really wasn't necessary. But thanks for putting me in my place.

My point was the Montana is Keystone's "top of the line" and yes I know that HC is a step down. A step down as far as being weight conscious using more lightweight interior components and no full body paint. However it uses the same basic build. The 2022 Monty and HC use the same exact solar and inverter packages. The inverter models & makes vary based on availability. The magnum manual says it's made in Washington but the inverter says made in China. So with that off my chest I'm going to add another related problem that I discovered last night.

Update:
  • I was able to enter programming and and save the changes. Very cumbersome and not thoroughly explained. I changed programming so that the on/off switch works so that I can turn the inverter off at night. Otherwise it would stay on until the battery voltage dropped below threshold.
  • Inverter works and supplies AC and goes into bypass mode when shore or gen is present.
  • When shore/gen power drops the inverter starts to invert.
  • The power button now works to turn off the inverter.
  • I no longer have exit the trailer and cycle the inverter battery switch for it to start inverting.
Two new issues
  • When the transfer switch switches to generator both kitchen GFI and basement GFI trip intermittently. It happened 4 or 5 times during last night test.
  • No GFI tripped during this mornings test...
  • I can turn the inverter off using the power button in any condition. With or without AC power available. I can only turn it on if AC is present.
In summary:
The system appears to be working with the new programming. However there is a lag of about 10 seconds. The TV shuts off but comes on 10 seconds later. I have to start the generator for the inverter power switch to turn on the inverter. This is odd but I can live with it. The inverter has to be on for the inverted outlets to be powered since the inverter through passes the AC going into it. I hope this makes sense.

I'm now more concerned about the phantom GFI tripping. I fear that there is a neutral or ground bond problem or a loose connection.

For those of you that have this 2022 setup and want to turn your inverter off while boondocking you can change the inverter programming from PS1 to PS4.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Operation.pdf (199.9 KB, 216 views)
File Type: pdf Settings.pdf (268.1 KB, 173 views)
Old 03-27-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Tony,

I am sorry you found my response so lacking, no disrespect was intended. Glad you sorted out your issue.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 06:37 PM   #5
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Foldbak - thanks for the files. We've only had our 22 model HC out twice since December and I've not taken the time to become familiar with each and every system on the unit. I'll play with this on our next trip out in April and see if I can add any info of substance for you for trending purposes. Again, thanks for the Operations and Settings files, as they are always great to keep handy on my phone for quick reference.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #6
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Foldbak - thanks for the files. We've only had our 22 model HC out twice since December and I've not taken the time to become familiar with each and every system on the unit. I'll play with this on our next trip out in April and see if I can add any info of substance for you for trending purposes. Again, thanks for the Operations and Settings files, as they are always great to keep handy on my phone for quick reference.

Yes this new system was major learning curve. I designed and installed an off grid system in 3 trailers and I'm pretty spoiled. The design was simple. An Onan gen, two transfer switches and a inverter/charger with remote panels. Deleted the converter and used the inverter/charger to smart charge the batteries. I could leave the unit plugged in all year and not boil the batteries. When boondocking I would turn on the inverter when AC was needed and start the gen when the batteries needed topped off. Turn the inverter off at night.

This new system in the Monty incorporates solar. They engineered the system assuming that when boondocking the solar would charging the batteries and the inverter is always on and AC is available when needed. Problem is you run the risk of prematurely draining the batteries and the inverter would shut off. With the inverter off it doesn't pass through gen power to inverted outlets. And what if you're relying on solar with no sun.

Anyway when boondocking, enabling the on/off power switch allows you to turn off the inverter at night thus preserving your batteries. The unit has some flaws such as AC must be present for the inverter power button to work and the internal transfer switch doesn't pass AC when the unit is off. Off should default AC pass through. Programming is also a pain.

We're taking the unit out boondocking for the first time this weekend and we'll see how it works out. I still have a GFI gremlin that I haven't figured out.
Old 03-28-2022, 12:13 PM   #7
Flashracer
Established Member

M.O.C. #30102
I have the same inverter on my 2022 junk Montana. It went out the day I brought it home. I called magnum dimensions and waited an hour on hold. Tech will do his best to help you. In my case I had to bring it to the dealership. I bought it 11/08 and it is still at dealership getting repairs.
Flashracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:05 PM   #8
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I think "junk Montana" is a bit harsh. I've had 7 trailers and the build quality on this one is much better then the last! Night and day actually. Is this your first new trailer? I could have taken it to my dealership to do the repairs but opted to do it myself because we're going out this weekend and didn't want to take a chance. Keystone sent me a replacement inverter, remote and cable. I probably know more about the Dimensions/Magnum 2012x then the dealership.
Old 03-28-2022, 01:55 PM   #9
Flashracer
Established Member

M.O.C. #30102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
I think "junk Montana" is a bit harsh. I've had 7 trailers and the build quality on this one is much better then the last! Night and day actually. Is this your first new trailer? I could have taken it to my dealership to do the repairs but opted to do it myself because we're going out this weekend and didn't want to take a chance. Keystone sent me a replacement inverter, remote and cable. I probably know more about the Dimensions/Magnum 2012x then the dealership.
This is my second camper. The first was a Cougar. I wish I would have kept it. Poor Dealership PDI and in my part. It was so cold trying to look it over. It’s nearly 5 months and dealership had it for 3. They actually transferred it to another dealership hopefully with more competent service technicians.
Flashracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
sonofcy
Established Member

M.O.C. #26300
Quote:
I am at a loss. I just spent all day replacing my inverter, remote switch and cable on my 2022 3 month old 295rl only to have the same problem. Montana sent me a replacement that I install because I don't have time to wait for the dealer to do since we're boondocking next weekend.

• Can enter programing but can save changes or exit programing. It just stays in program mode
  • Inverter works and supplies AC and goes into bypass mode when shore or gen is present
  • When shore/gen power drops the inverter stays in bypass
  • The power button doesn't work
  • I have to exit the trailer and cycle the inverter battery switch for it to start inverting
I can't be the only one having this problem! Someone else must be experiencing the same problem. The Dimensions Magnum is a piece of crap and I can't believe that Keystone would spec this garbage in their top of the line product.
I used to have one of those. I never had a problem with it. I didn't even know it could be 'programmed' The only reason I sold it was because I put in a 3,000 watt Victron to go with the 600AH of battery. Magnum is one of the top companies in that field, so I can't relate to your frustration. Remember the inverter is connected to a transfer switch (not same as generator transfer) usually mounted on the ceiling this is why the inverter should always be on as it's that transfer switch that controls if the load is being powered by shore power or inverter. At least on my 2018 Montana that is how it was wired. The inverter should be in either PS1 or PS4.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 01:52 PM   #11
mclark40

M.O.C. #30825
Quote:
Did replacing the inverter fix your issue?

I am experiencing the same issues with my CSW2012-HX.
mclark40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:34 PM   #12
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark40 View Post
Did replacing the inverter fix your issue?

I am experiencing the same issues with my CSW2012-HX.

My inverter is working properly...now. Can you be more specific as to your issues? I'm sure I can help but I need more information.
Old 04-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
I used to have one of those. I never had a problem with it. I didn't even know it could be 'programmed' The only reason I sold it was because I put in a 3,000 watt Victron to go with the 600AH of battery. Magnum is one of the top companies in that field, so I can't relate to your frustration. Remember the inverter is connected to a transfer switch (not same as generator transfer) usually mounted on the ceiling this is why the inverter should always be on as it's that transfer switch that controls if the load is being powered by shore power or inverter. At least on my 2018 Montana that is how it was wired. The inverter should be in either PS1 or PS4.

Well first off Magnum is a Chinese made inverter and definitely not one of the best. It doesn't even make the top 10. Xantrex, Aims, Renogy to name a few are better. The inverter isn't connected to a transfer switch as it has a switch built in that sees and passes through any AC present to the inverted outlets that it's connected to. There is only one transfer switch in the trailer that switches between shore and generator. Yes programed to PS1 means the inverter is ALWAYS on unless you go outside and physically shut off the battery disconnect. PS4 enables the on/off button on the control panel so at night all I have to do is press it. This way no parasitic drain on the batteries.
Old 04-19-2022, 06:26 AM   #14
mclark40

M.O.C. #30825
Quote:
My inverter is working properly...now. Can you be more specific as to your issues? I'm sure I can help but I need more information.
My issues are:
1. Unit is programmed PS1.
2. When shore power is present, AC power is supplied properly. Unit is in bypass.
3. When shore power drops, the inverter stays in bypass.
4. I cycle the battery switch and the unit starts inverting.
mclark40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM   #15
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark40 View Post
My issues are:
1. Unit is programmed PS1.
2. When shore power is present, AC power is supplied properly. Unit is in bypass.
3. When shore power drops, the inverter stays in bypass.
4. I cycle the battery switch and the unit starts inverting.

Unfortunately that sounds like a faulty unit. You might try to set it to PS4 but not sure that will help.
Old 01-05-2023, 07:37 AM   #16
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
I do! As a matter of fact, we are 1 week new to a 2022 295RL. We have two issues that slipped by during initial inspection and what you describe is one of them.

I have AC power to all outlets while on shore power. However, none of the AC plugs on the inverted circuit have power. I looked at the remote display of the CSW2012-HX, pushing the Select button to rotate through the settings. What I saw was an amber light on the lower LED titled, "display" and the LED digits showed 0.00, where the usage KW would be. Cycling the Select button to the program setting showed PS0 - and according to the manual, the inverter is in a "disabled" state.

If I'm OFF shore power I can not get into programming mode by holding both the Select and Power buttons simultaneously for 5+ sec. Nothing happens. Through trial and error and had the unit plugged into 30amp shore power and to my surprise I could now hold both buttons to enter programming mode. However, after switching to PS1 and dropping the shore power, I was back to square one with still NO inverted power AND the inverter mode was back to PS0.

I'm working with the dealer who has been great to work with however they are 85 miles away and I'm just trying to fix this myself.

I hope this info helps sir!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, 400i, 2x100ah LifeP04 batts. from Battleborn
2022 GMC 3500 HD
Andersen Ultimate Gooseball hitch
payneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:39 AM   #17
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by payneo View Post
I do! As a matter of fact, we are 1 week new to a 2022 295RL. We have two issues that slipped by during initial inspection and what you describe is one of them.

I have AC power to all outlets while on shore power. However, none of the AC plugs on the inverted circuit have power. I looked at the remote display of the CSW2012-HX, pushing the Select button to rotate through the settings. What I saw was an amber light on the lower LED titled, "display" and the LED digits showed 0.00, where the usage KW would be. Cycling the Select button to the program setting showed PS0 - and according to the manual, the inverter is in a "disabled" state.

If I'm OFF shore power I can not get into programming mode by holding both the Select and Power buttons simultaneously for 5+ sec. Nothing happens. Through trial and error and had the unit plugged into 30amp shore power and to my surprise I could now hold both buttons to enter programming mode. However, after switching to PS1 and dropping the shore power, I was back to square one with still NO inverted power AND the inverter mode was back to PS0.

I'm working with the dealer who has been great to work with however they are 85 miles away and I'm just trying to fix this myself.

I hope this info helps sir!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
2022 Montana High Country 295RL, 400i, 2x100ah LifeP04 batts. from Battleborn
2022 GMC 3500 HD
Andersen Ultimate Gooseball hitch

Welcome to the forums. First thing to do is cycle the inverter battery disconnect. This should activate the inverter and provide AC to the inverted outlets. Assuming you have a 2000 watt inverter and inverted outlets. It sounds like you have a 400 solar package and a Dimensions inverter. If so the factory programs to disable the power button on the control remote. This can be changed in programming. I've attached the programming and operation instructions. Also check the circuit breaker on the inverter itself.

If you are set at PS0 it's disabled. It needs to be reprogrammed to PS4 for the power switch to work. Mine changed to PS0 while at the dealer for repair work. We don't know why. PS1 is factory. Montana's idea of automatic. The downside of PS4 is you have to have shore or gen power to turn on the inverter. You can turn it off without power connected. Don't ask me why
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Inverter Operation.pdf (199.9 KB, 107 views)
File Type: pdf Inverter Settings.pdf (268.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: pdf Inverter CSW2012 Montana.pdf (470.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 01-05-2023, 11:04 AM   #18
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
Thank you Tony and Donna - Although I tried some of your suggestions, you offered up some I should re-check!

FYI - what I've done.
1. Verified the 20A top-hat fuse (push button) on Inverter was not thrown.
2. Verified none of the DC fuses at fuse box were thrown/blown
3. I did switch the Inverter Disconnect switch a couple of times to verify electricity was flowing - I looked that all LED indications on the remote display at the control center were off then on again when Inverter Disconnect was in the on position.

However - what I didn't do, after reviewing some of your attachments - was to press the green "check" button/power button on the remote AFTER changing the mode of PS0 to PS1.

Thanks for your feedback!
payneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 11:50 AM   #19
Derby6
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #31898
You made me goo look and I have same Magnum CSW2012 inverter. No issues I am aware of to date...Knock on wood!!
Derby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #20
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
Update to CSW2012-HX not working ...

First off thanks to forum members for giving me some ideas - thank you!

Sharing this for everyone's benefit.

2022 Montana High Country 295RL with 400i SolarFlex + 2x 100Ah DragonFly LifePO4 heated batteries.

Problem: No power to inverted outlets when shore power is disconnected.

Observations:
1. Remote control panel to inverter displayed a mode of PS0 (Inverter disabled).
2. Round power button seemed to do nothing.
3. Unable to go to mode setup by holding down Select + Power button simultaneously.

Solution:
1. Connected to shore power (gen. probably would have worked too) then attempted to go into setup mode.
2. Mode change successful with shore power connected.
3. Set inverter mode to PS1 or PS4, then press and hold Select button until beep.
4. Disconnect shore power
5. Cycle Inverter Disconnect switch

Outcome: Inverters now working.