Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2023, 07:06 AM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Mirror on front?

2019 MHC....we have the 5" x 18" reflective plastic mirror on the front cap. Anyone removed this and if so how was it attached and is it simply painted behind it?

Old 01-08-2023, 07:17 AM   #2
77cruiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26015
I took mine off. I used a heat gun & some of the paint came off with it.
77cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:31 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It's glued, near impossible to get off without damaging the paint and surface behind it.

After 1 year of ownership, my mirror looked awful. I purchased a new one and Liquid Nails glued it directly on top of the old one. I made sure the glue was evenly applied over the entire back and it stuck perfect to the original mirror.

The new one has not flaked or discolored or fogged up like the old one did. It's been more than 3 years now and it's still in great shape. FYI, I use mine all the time. If I did not have it, I'd miss it.

So, if replacing with a new one, just glue on top of the old one. If you want to remove it, why not consider just painting it and then print your family logo or the name of your camper on it, like a permanent "Welcome to our RV" type sign. I've seen folks do this too.

Here's an old post you might find interesting: Click here.

Here's another one: Click here too.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 01:38 PM   #4
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
It's glued, near impossible to get off without damaging the paint and surface behind it.

After 1 year of ownership, my mirror looked awful. I purchased a new one and Liquid Nails glued it directly on top of the old one. I made sure the glue was evenly applied over the entire back and it stuck perfect to the original mirror.

The new one has not flaked or discolored or fogged up like the old one did. It's been more than 3 years now and it's still in great shape. FYI, I use mine all the time. If I did not have it, I'd miss it.

So, if replacing with a new one, just glue on top of the old one. If you want to remove it, why not consider just painting it and then print your family logo or the name of your camper on it, like a permanent "Welcome to our RV" type sign. I've seen folks do this too.

Here's an old post you might find interesting: Click here.

Here's another one: Click here too.

Good stuff.....Thanks !!!
Old 01-08-2023, 02:35 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I have seen pictures where people put a flag and eagle decal over the mirror.
Can't find the links right now but something like this

https://www.amazon.com/Soaring-Eagle...213703&sr=8-27
Daryles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 07:37 PM   #6
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
I removed ours. It peeled off fairly easy, but it left the nasty adhesive behind, which took about 2 hours to get off. My wife, who is a school teacher, used her Cricut device, and made us a nice family decal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-3121.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	13907  
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:35 PM   #7
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I need mine to hook up to the fifth wheel. Cannot see it without use my my rear view mirror to look at the cap mirror.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 02:03 PM   #8
BWDscotty
Established Member

M.O.C. #30488
I can't see mine through the back window. I would like to figure out some type of mirror that would make the ball visible since I'm switching to a Goosebox soon.
Not quite a full-timer
BWDscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:29 PM   #9
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Would one of the convex mirrors like school buses use on their front fender work?
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:45 AM   #10
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWDscotty View Post
I can't see mine through the back window. I would like to figure out some type of mirror that would make the ball visible since I'm switching to a Goosebox soon.
When I first got my Montana, which was my first ever fifth wheel, I also purchased a set of these: Click Here.. They were one tool I used in my hitching, towing, and backing arsenal.

After about 6 months, I did not need them any more as I learned how to base distances (hitching) on other markings on the trailer and hitch (and the mirror).

Still, if the hitch is completely blind, the tool above is a tremendous help. Easy to use. Attach one right on the top of the hitch ball (for a gooseneck), the other directly on top of the gooseneck itself. Keep the two in alignment as you are backing up to hitch. Once they touch, they will both fall off or fall over because they are magnetic. You are now spot on!

You can find these at Wall Mart (RV section), Amazon, Home Depot, E-bay and most RV dealership's parts stores.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:12 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
When I first got my Montana, which was my first ever fifth wheel, I also purchased a set of these: Click Here.. They were one tool I used in my hitching, towing, and backing arsenal.

After about 6 months, I did not need them any more as I learned how to base distances (hitching) on other markings on the trailer and hitch (and the mirror).

Still, if the hitch is completely blind, the tool above is a tremendous help. Easy to use. Attach one right on the top of the hitch ball (for a gooseneck), the other directly on top of the gooseneck itself. Keep the two in alignment as you are backing up to hitch. Once they touch, they will both fall off or fall over because they are magnetic. You are now spot on!

You can find these at Wall Mart (RV section), Amazon, Home Depot, E-bay and most RV dealership's parts stores.
Interesting idea if I have any steel to stick it to.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:45 AM   #12
432bartman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26190
Quote:

I use those every time, to back onto my Reese Goosebox. Without them, I'd be jumping in and out of the truck.
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan (daughter-in-law Stephanie). & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote