Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2006, 08:03 AM   #1
Montana_5787

M.O.C. #5787
Using my Mountaineer over the Winter?

I have a 06 Mountaineer Travel trailer, we live in Washington DC and we plan on using our RV a couple times over the winter, (Thanksgiving and Xmas). I was wondering if I really need to winterize my RV if its only getting cold over night then warms up during the day here, or do I have to winterize the day that temps go below 32 degrees at night?
I was really trying to avoid winterizing until the last possible day to see if I could use the water system for Thanksgiving. Or should I just have the dealer winterize now, then re-winterize after I use for Thanksgiving and Xmas.

Thanks so much for your help, the advice on this website for a novice like me is Priceless !!

Happy Trails !

Montana_5787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:03 AM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bruce & Tracy,

Welcome to the Forum, We live on the South West coast of British Columbia. Rarely gets much below freezing here but it can. Putting a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze in the system cost less then $10.00 and only takes 15 minutes. Frozen water lines would not be covered by warranty and could be expensive to fix, depending where they are. We use our unit 12 months of the year when we can, so I might have to replace the antifreeze 3 or 4 times. Cheap insurance.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I think I broke my record this year...I was done winterizing in 5 mins! Like it was said....for the $10.00 it's well worth it. Now if your paying someone $150 to do it, well that's another story.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:30 PM   #4
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I have a Mountianeer that I have used at Thanksgiving up in Maine with daytime temps below 30 and around 17 at night. I just learned to winterize the unit myself (its really simple) and when I was ready to rewinterize it, it took me all of about 15 minutes. I'm planning to take it up north for New Years, and will put water in the tank, then rewinterize before I come home. If you only have a few cold nights and the days are warm, you could run the heat overnight. Still winterizing is easier in the long run and far cheaper than burning the gas. Good luck, Marcia
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote