Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Too Much Time To Think About Windows

This is probably not a new idea, but has anyone out there made their own removable "storm window" that can be installed easily on the inside of your Montana's windows?

I considered doing the whole plastic thing with a hair dryer but wanted something better I could use every year when I had to.

I removed my screens the other day, cleaned them good, and washed the insides of the windows before putting them back on. While the screens were off I noticed that the inside of the frame is at the same protrusion all the way around the window, making it perfect to mount a cut-to-size piece of Plexiglass.

Not sure how I want to mount the Plexiglass to the frame. Probably the best way would be to use industrial strength Velcro strips.

I think the frames are aluminum, otherwise magnetic tape fastened all around the edge of the Plexiglass would work perfectly.

Anyone else done this or toyed with the idea?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Being a person that likes my main door open when i'm awake I put plex glass in the screen door and held it in with a bead of clear silicone and when I wanted or needed to take them out I would just pull on the bead and it would come right off and I could remove the window, I thought of this when I lived in Michigan because the weather was ether to warm or to cold to keep the door open and I cant stand the main door opening and closing all the time. so maybe the idea might work for your storm windows. beware I did my screen door and it cost me around 80 dollars the plex glass is not cheap.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Have even thought about looking at thin Acrylic sheets and just cutting them down for whatever size I want.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #4
remhob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10257
How did you get your screens out?
remhob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I would be concerned of moisture accumulating between the window and the plastic
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
If you cut the Plexiglass to be the same size as the outer edge of the window frame, you could remove a screw here and there that holds the frame together. Put some weather stripping on the outer edge of the plexiglass and drill holes to put the screws back into the window frame to hold the plexiglass on.

Might need to get little bit longer screws though.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by remhob

How did you get your screens out?
My screens just snap right out from the inside.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our screens are spring loaded and you just have to push them down and pull them out. On our screen door we replaced the screen with tinted plexiglass in the manor described by Tom above.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Back when I owned a smaller class C motor home I had storm windows made for all the windows in the coach, they could be taken out in the summer and were held in place with holders that mounted on the frame and you twisted them over the storm window to hole them in place, they worked very well as I used this unit for many hunting trips in temperatures in the -30 degree range, they did not accumulate moisture but certainly added to the comfort in the unit.

We ordered our current Montana with the thermal windows, while the airspace is only about 3/8" and does not provide a great deal of insulating value they do help, we have had them on our last 3 units and I would order them again if I were ever to buy a new unit.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Talking only about the screen door I leave the screens in then cut to make the plex fit then place the glass in the opening against the screen which in turn holds the glass from falling through the window opening, then apply a small bead of clear silicone or black your choice to the window edge and hold it in with duct tape until it dries. Then if you need to remove the window pull on the bead and it will pull off then you can remove the glass and leave the screens in place. this is the third unit I have done this too because I like to keep my main door open when the air is on when its hot outside or when the furnace is on when its cold outside I do not have to keep opening and closing the main door all the time and it is nice to be able to look out the door and have the added light from outside coming in.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #11
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
I like your idea of making removable storm windows. Larry Sessoms (Hook) advised to get local glass company cut our front door plexy glass pieces, if they cut it wrong or scratch it, then we had not lost money, We took the screen door off and took it to glass shop, and they did a good job using acrylic 1/8" thick for $92. We used an old white two-wire telephone cord cut to length to snug the pieces in the door making It is easy to remove and replace. We like our door open for light and windows for fresh air. Let us know what you do as we might follow suit.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote