Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #1
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Spending the winter in the Idaho Panhandle this Ye

DW and I have been here with the Monty since May caring for my Father who was Diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia in April this year he had a fall in early February and had surgery late February to remove the blood on his brain. We did not know he had Dementia until after he was sent home in April. So going to a warmer climate is not possible for us.
I anticipate having weather down to zero and possibly a little lower but do not expect significant wind chill where we are at the trees seem to block a large amount of the wind here.

I have read many of the threads about winter camping.
Most of those seem to be a few years back and I'm thinking those folks went South the next winter since there hasn't been much posted the last couple of years.

I have few questions for snowbirds and cold weather campers those of you that have been there.

1. What type of electric heaters do you use under the skirted coach and in the basement/convenience center.

I am in the process of skirting with 2" foamboard taped at the seems and to the roll pan.

2. How do you secure your large (20 gal/ 100 pound) propane tanks.

I would like to do something that does not disfigure the Monty or at the least minimal changes.I currently plan to buy at least a 5' pigtail to run under the metal pan and back up to the tank connection. which will enable me to keep the propane compartment door closed. I have considered a couple eye bolts attached to the Monty but don't really like that idea unless it is the only option. I am sure somebody has a better way.

I have heat taped and foam insulated the water hose. and will also be covering the outside windows with plastic film.

Already have bubble foam insulation in most windows cept DW likes sunlight so I can't cover all of them.

I will also have remote thermometers in the basement and under the skirted coach

I am open to any other suggestions you might have for me and all the expert advice that is available.

Anybody who lives in this area or has been through the winters here you can probably help me with what to expect weather and temperatures.

We are in the Sandpoint/Couer d'Alene area

DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Watching...

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We've used a large, home style, propane tank before and just used copper tubing run up thru the holes in the bottom of the propane compartment to connect it to the rubber hose from the Monty. Finding the right connectors was the only issue and the propane service got them for us. For me, this solution was better than the 100# tanks. Of the folks I've seen use the 100# tanks they've never secured them, just put them on a flat sturdy surface.
Also, I would put foam insulation around the sides and top of my slides. Lot's of cold can come in there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

We've used a large, home style, propane tank before and just used copper tubing run up thru the holes in the bottom of the propane compartment to connect it to the rubber hose from the Monty. Finding the right connectors was the only issue and the propane service got them for us. For me, this solution was better than the 100# tanks. Of the folks I've seen use the 100# tanks they've never secured them, just put them on a flat sturdy surface.
Also, I would put foam insulation around the sides and top of my slides. Lot's of cold can come in there.
Thanks for the advice I have skirted the lower slides and planned to cover the bottom of the upper slides. I haven't yet decided about the side of those slides, covering the top is a great idea I had not even thought about the tops.

I do have concern about how well the seals will stop the cold air from coming in and how to seal them if I could find some 4" window sealing tape I would just cover all the seals with that

The Bigger Propane tank would be a nice thing to have not sure if we will be here for more than one winter or not and we have access to 2 twenty gallon tanks so we will be using those for now. When we make the move up to the road to our own property we will have a permanent tank for sure.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:09 AM   #5
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
I believe most gas companies will rent the larger tanks. That is what we plan on doing.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Old 10-08-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chasnracin

I believe most gas companies will rent the larger tanks. That is what we plan on doing.
We have a residential tank at the S&B planning on bringing it here just not sure if we will be able to get it here before winter also not sure I want to set it up in the Parents Driveway since there will snow to plow there.
Are You Living in Your Monty fulltime??? Alaska would be a bit colder then here I suspect. If you are what have you done to beat the cold?
Old 10-10-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Any advice on under belly heaters???
Old 10-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #8
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
West Marine has thermostatically controlled electric heaters that are UL approved for use in the engine compartment of gas powered boats. I am considering using one in the basement of my 5er. I have used them in 2 of my boats for four winters now to keep from having to do a difficult winterizing job.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #9
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tooth ferry

West Marine has thermostatically controlled electric heaters that are UL approved for use in the engine compartment of gas powered boats. I am considering using one in the basement of my 5er. I have used them in 2 of my boats for four winters now to keep from having to do a difficult winterizing job.
So what makes the engine heater safer than Milk House Heater I see they sell those also, and that is what I was thinking of using.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
I don't know. You'll have to ask UL.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:46 PM   #11
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tooth ferry

I don't know. You'll have to ask UL.
Thank You for Responding All info and help is appreciated.
Old 10-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DAR

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chasnracin

Are You Living in Your Monty fulltime??? Alaska would be a bit colder then here I suspect. If you are what have you done to beat the cold?
We moved down from Alaska this year. We had several friends who did full time there, but we didn't. We are currently living in Ohio and will be starting to full time next Apr +/-. I really need to fix my signature.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL