Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
What position/direction would you park for Winter?

We are still looking at living in a Montana (probably the 3295) year-round and we feel we could do it and stay comfortable but we also are aware that there are MANY additional things we need to do to help as well.

That being said, I thought perhaps too the position we might park our Montana in at an CG (for at least a year) would be very important. I would assume being surrounded by trees and/or other structures would be of some help to block the wind but also just as important might be the amount of sun we would get during the day/afternoons.

I thought it would be wise to ask you experts what direction (north/south, east/west) should the front/end of a Montana best be placed for the most benefit for helping in staying warm in particular.

As always, thanks for your kind suggestions and feedback. We continue to learn as I try to read everything that is posted, (and has been posted over the past year).

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:24 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I avoid the colder climes but if it were me I would park the rig east/west with the left side facing the south. This way you would be getting the sun directly on the side with the biggest windows thus warming the inside and using less furnace. Be sure to keep the shades open on those sunny days. Also keep in mind that your water line is on the left side and the sun will also be helping to stop the freeze situation.
As far as trees maybe on the north, east or west sides but not on the south where they will block that sun.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:39 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
If you are in a campground, you may not have a choice. Most campgrounds frown on people parking opposite of the layout. That said you could request a site that suits your thoughts about sun, wind, etc. I think the wind is as much a factor as the sun. Glad this is you and not me. I've had enough cold and snow.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #4
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I agree with the one poster who stated the to park the unit (left side) towards the south. More heat rays and more light coming in on gloomy winter days. But then again, the other poster indicated that many places you may not have a choice, or if you did you may not like the location, which is why the site I decided on, has the road side (left side) facing the east (getting early morning sun) and the south side is the bedroom area. The den of course is on the north side. But I rather be in this spot which is all concrete (pad and patio) with no one behind me (just wooded area) than having no concrete pad and neighbors on both sides and behind me. I guess it comes down to a personal choice and what you can live with. But the perfect location for me would be the one described above (largest part of your trailer facing the south). But, then again if you plan to be in the same space in the summer.....you will get all the sun and heat also unless you have some trees, which I don't have and specifically asked for a spot with no trees equals no debri. decisions decision
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:34 PM   #5
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
Thats a good question Wannabe, I was thinking the same thing. I drove thru the RV park that I will be parked at for the winter to see what it will be like.
All of their slots are pointing Northest to Southwest or Northwest to Southest. They will be packed in there pretty tight so I hope it helps with blocking the wind. Maybe I will be put in between 2 BIG OLE Buses. My luck... I'll be on the end catching the brunt of the wind and snow We'll see.
It is an adventure that both me and my bride want to experience.

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glenn and others are right - definitely face the nose east, tail west. I assume this will face your door south, Sandi. Do everything you can to get this orientation. Any CG mgr should be very understanding about this. You are going to be a long timer there in that park, not a "one night stand". You are paying them much more money for your site. That better give you a lot more clout - don't think there will be a waiting list for sites in that area of Mich that time of year... Shouldn't be an issue in any case.

Prevailing winds there are out of the NW or N. This will protect your vulnerable nose cap area somewhat better, and provide much more radiant heat into your coach through the larger window areas on that side.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #7
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thank you everyone for your suggestions/recommendations. We really appreciate them and they are very helpful.

We don't even have a Montana yet but are hoping to have one possibly by next year IF we do put our house up for sale. Husband is still thinking on this.

The CG we would be parked at does have quite a few RVs that sit there year-round but are not lived in during the winter but perhaps a weekend occasionally. There should still be a lot of open sites though and we do want to get the best one for our situation and I think the CG owner will be helpful in that choice, anyway that is the feeling I got from him. He said there is usually at least one RV parked and lived in during the winter months at this CG.

Blue, we will be anxiously awaiting your reports back on your adventure of staying in your RV during the cold months! I am sure you will have some very valuable info to share that will be very helpful. Keep us posted!!!
Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Well, in the park where we spend Nov/Dec there is no choice. We park with the nose facing east. We have trees on the west. When it gets cold enough to freeze I don't think it makes much difference which way you're parked. Wind is a different story.

If you're buying a 2007, you'll be glad to know they're tested to zero degrees without freezing. We will find out in a couple of months just how well that works. If you do not have dual paned windows and will be in serious cold, consider putting insulating film over the windows. I yesterday bought two packages of outdoor film to do this to ours. I got it at Lowe's, currently on sale for less than nine bucks per pack, everything included. Keep the furnace running enough to pump heat into the belly. At night we'll drop our thermostat to 60, maybe 58 (haven't figured out this thermostat as yet). If below freezing we'll shut off electric heaters in the living area and maybe run an electric heater in the bedroom with the door closed to keep that heat from shutting down the thermostat.

I'm seriously considering buying some inexpensive plastic sheeting and duct taping it to hang from the belly pan as a kind of skirting. Maybe the underside of the overhang, too. I'm still thinking on this. In our earlier Montana, "guaranteed" to 28 degrees, we did a number of things to enable it to get down to zero without freezing (my screwups excepted) but don't expect to have to do those things to the 2007.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
The_McCullochs
Established Member

M.O.C. #6068
We seem to be in the minority, here, by preferring a North/South orientation to minimize the added cooling effect of wind, especially when dealing with temps below Zero F.

During our stays in N. Minnesota, this orientation both reduced the rocking due to moderate [30 MPH] winds and let us be comfortable with -25F temperatures. [Wind Chill Factor was -60F.]

One lesson learned the hard way: be sure to insulate the compartment opening that gives access to the dump valves lest they freeze shut.

A styrofoam "faucet protector", covering the junction of the water lines, will help considerably in keeping the lines clear.

Anything that can be used as a windbreak [even snow] will help to keep the underbelly (and floors) warm.
The_McCullochs is offline   Reply With Quote