Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Randy you can get R8 insulation to put in your windows. Its made of bubble wrap its about 3/4 inch thick and shiny on the sides. You could cut it and put it in the windows. You could tape it on or use Velcro. There should be a heatins shop in Pinedale.
Keep us posted.
Lynwood

mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 AM   #22
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Randy, we lived in our Montana for a year of Montana (the state) weather, including several spells of 50-below temperatures with accompanying winds coming off of Clark Canyon Reservoir, which was frozen. We had 50-amp service on our land where we were building, so adding ceramic heaters in the rig and a heater below the rig wasn't a problem. We also skirted the rig with the most awful mess of plywood, foam, blankets draped over stock wire, etc., when a very early snow and plummeting temperatures caught us before we could put up a better-looking and more efficient skirting. Who knew we'd be snowed in by September 7th of that year, and that the snow wouldn't melt until late May-early June?

We had to move in two porta-potties to use throughout the winter because we didn't have a septic system installed; we had to carry water from our well to pour into the rig's freshwater tank (the well was too far from the rig to run a heated hose from it to our rig). We froze up two or three times, but never for more than a morning.

This year, we're living in our rig again, having sold our home and preparing to be full-time travelers next summer. Things may not go so smoothly this winter, because the KOA campground where we're living has only 30-amp power, not nearly enough to run extra heaters, the microwave, the fireplace, and everything else that we need to run. We are preparing to skirt the rig this week, using 3" foam boards that a friend is giving us from some of his old building projects. We'll put a heater under the rig (but run it only when absolutely necessary). We do have a heated water line here, which is a terrific improvement over the way we wintered in 2007- 2008, and in the event that we do freeze up, the KOA bathrooms aren't too far from our spot. I think we're adding the clear insulating film inside our windows, too, although we didn't do that when we lived out on our land.

Good luck with your winter adventure.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #23
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
What a difference a week makes. We left Gardiner, MT on 9/30 and had the A/C on and did not need the furnace most mornings. They were having a Indian Summer sort of speak.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #24
granet
Established Member

M.O.C. #10611
Send a message via AIM to granet
Rick et al;
We are still in the foothills of the Canadian rockies and are just starting to set up for winter. We are adding insulation to the tops and bottoms of the slideouts and are stuffing the slide out boots again. We are double covering the windows this year with film inside and out my only problem is that ive had a stroke and have to wait for my sons to do it for me.As stated last year even at 40 plus below we were warm and toasty not using any extra heaters.
Regards
Granet
2008 3400rls loaded
granet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 01:14 PM   #25
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I was planning on spending my winter in the coach here in MN as the house has not sold out of state yet. After doing some research, I found that it will end up costing me more with rent of the rv site, plus all the propane. I just booked myself into the Hilton Hotel for $50 a night (tax free) starting 10/29/11 - 4/30/12. Having access to free laundry services and free breakfast will offset the slight increased cost over staying in the rv park all winter. Just food for thought and something you might want to check into as hotels often times are willing to give great rates for extended stays. Best of luck and stay warm this winter.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:22 AM   #26
CaptainRandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #11312
Update

been about -15F at night & +20F during the day - thermostat at 55 while we are away from the unit, 65-68 while we are in the unit, 55 at night. Using 50-60 gallons of propane a month. No problems with freezing -
CaptainRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Randy
I have a friend over in Dubois. Every time I talk to him, twice this week, they are having a beautiful day. It looks like you got lucky this year.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #28
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Since you were expecting -30, you must be having an unexpected hot spell.

I like that you reported that a furnace running the whole time at those temps uses 50-60 gallons a month, that should be the worst it could be. This would be the worst case since the furnace can't run any more that its rated BTUs and it keeps the temps inside in the 60s? Not bad at all.

What's propane costing up there? 60 gallons at about $4.00/gallon (worst case prices where I live) is about $240 which is not bad if it keeps you warm in those temps. Do you have electric heaters to help, too? What did you end up doing about the doggies' exercises?

You had a great plan and the weather is slightly better than you anticipated and this is a good thing. I'm guessing even if the outside temps got lower, that the inside temps would stay about what you've reported as long as nothing breaks. I wonder if building a mud room at the Monty entrance to help insulate the outside cold could help entering and exiting when it was absolutely necessary. Going from the mid 60s to those outside temps would sure intimidate this Southern California desert dweller.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #29
CaptainRandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #11312
Its been a mild winter

We leave the forward fireplace on low & have an oil filled heater in the bedroom on low---- we have been comphy.

Its gonna be 8F tonight.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #30
CaptainRandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #11312
We pay about $3.00 a gallon for propane.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #31
fishinman

M.O.C. #11830
Randy, just remember that your trailer furnace does heat the underbelly of your unit. Keep that heat on should stop things from freezing underneath, like your holding tanks, sewer tank etc.
fishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #32
CaptainRandy
Established Member

M.O.C. #11312
Roger on that!
Old 07-27-2012, 03:33 AM   #33
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We lived in our rig through one of the worst winters (2007 - 2008)the state of Montana had experience in recent history, and we were toasty warm all of the time. You've done far more than we did in preparation for such temperatures. For one, we had no sewer on our property at the time, so we couldn't use the black tank/toilet at all; we had to move in two Porta-Potties to use for that entire year. We did add a ceramic heater in our living room area, but with the fireplace our rig has, we didn't really use that extra heater. We also had to haul water in because our well wasn't drilled until near the end of that year. Our property and rig were on the back shore of Clark Canyon Reservoir, so not only did we have - 40 to -50 degree temperatures for periods of time, we also had very high winds to contend with.

We have two Australian shepherds. Frequently the snow was 3' - 4' deep, but those dogs loved it. Like using the Porta-Potties, walking the dogs was something that we had to do. So, we bundled up, bit the bullet, and went out with the dogs several times a day in the snow. In retrospect, I can't believe we actually lived a year without indoor toilets, but we did.

You seem to be on top of things--nothing but good times ahead!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote