Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2023, 04:54 AM   #1
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Follow up questions now that I have purchased one

Hi again, okay so I purchased a 2022 Montana 3231ck. Two questions, the dealer has the Anderson hitch, which I like, but read that it is flimsy for the weight of the camper. I am also purchasing a 3500hd sb from a dealer and I think they sell the curt hitch. Any suggestions or info on these two or others would be helpful.
Secondly, I have an ice maker and want to add a water filtration system. I am not sure what I need and wondering do the dealer have some or what kind do you suggest. Side note I am not really handy and it will only be me.
Thank you in advance!
Lynne Beers

Lynneb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:35 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Do a Google search for trouble with Andersen hitch. See what you find. Everybody likes the hitch they have that why they bought it.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:19 AM   #3
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Lynnwood, thank you, I will do that.
Lynne
Old 01-16-2023, 07:31 AM   #4
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Any thing can fail and I don’t think that the Andersen’s is any worse than the others. One thing I can tell you for sure is that your chances of dropping your trailer on your bed rails with a conventional hitch is much greater than a failure of the Andersen.
As Lynwood says, do your research as it seems to be a very controversial subject based mainly on conjecture rather than facts. I absolutely love mine, but will say that it isn’t as easy to hookup with as a conventional hitch. Since it’s basically a ball hitch you have to be more accurate when lining it up with the trailer. The light weight and consequential ease of handling easily makes up for that.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
The Andersen works great. I had one for a few years and it always performed well. The issue you currently have is Keystone's and Lippert's frame warranty. The Andersen hitch, and any other hitch that requires a pin adapter, will void that warranty. You are better off using a hitch that has a conventional connection to the pin.

Which Curt hitch does the truck dealer have? Curt is a good brand and would serve you well as would all of the other mainstream hitches. I like the Demco Recon because it comes apart in 3 pieces making it easier to install and remove. Pick the one you like best.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:43 AM   #6
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I am also in the Demco Recon hitch group. Not too terribly expensive, comes apart 3 pieces, and each piece by itself is not all that heavy. All 3 pieces combined are probably not over 75 pounds. It works well.

If you are purchasing your camper from a dealership, the dealership can install the hitch for you. It's actually better if they do it, opposed to a car/truck dealership, because the hitch needs to be raised and fit for the camper height. That can only be done with the camper right there. Yes, you can do all the math, do all the measuring of heights before. But once the trailer is attached, your truck will have some squat. Depending on the actual truck suspension will determine how much. Adjustments need to be made based on the truck "squat" for bed rail clearance, and the truck and trailer running level.

Just my 2 cents here.

Good luck!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:01 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
The Anderson (can) fail during emergency stops. Also check with Montana. Last I heard & read, using the Anderson will void your frame warranty. Some have said that Lippert will cover but I'd have the conversation before I made the decision.

I know the odds are in your favor under normal circumstances, but put in a panic situation I'd prefer the peace of mind knowing my hitch isn't going to buckle. Just my 2 cents....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anderson.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	13931  
Old 01-16-2023, 09:33 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Boy, I would not want to hitch up 14K or more to that flimsy hitch in the picture above!!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:34 AM   #9
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
The Anderson (can) fail during emergency stops. Also check with Montana. Last I heard & read, using the Anderson will void your frame warranty. Some have said that Lippert will cover but I'd have the conversation before I made the decision.

I know the odds are in your favor under normal circumstances, but put in a panic situation I'd prefer the peace of mind knowing my hitch isn't going to buckle. Just my 2 cents....
This pic has been around for some time and is about the only one that shows a buckled Andersen hitch. In all fairness I don't believe this was an emergency stop, but an accident. In an accident all bets are off. Who knows what will give and break first in a collision given all the variables of speed and point of contact. At least the coupler didn't let go of the ball.

If I were in a bad accident and my hitch maintained control of my trailer I'd say it did its job.

I'm not worried about the Andersen. Still, if I were buying a new trailer today I wouldn't get one simply because of the warranty issue.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:48 AM   #10
Rich Lazz
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
Any thing can fail and I don’t think that the Andersen’s is any worse than the others. One thing I can tell you for sure is that your chances of dropping your trailer on your bed rails with a conventional hitch is much greater than a failure of the Andersen.
As Lynwood says, do your research as it seems to be a very controversial subject based mainly on conjecture rather than facts. I absolutely love mine, but will say that it isn’t as easy to hookup with as a conventional hitch. Since it’s basically a ball hitch you have to be more accurate when lining it up with the trailer. The light weight and consequential ease of handling easily makes up for that.
love my Anderson Hitch...you can be off quite a bit and it moves (or slides) right into place.....
Rich Lazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 09:52 AM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The announcement letter from Keystone about the Andersen hitch (and others) voiding the frame warranty is here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83693 Post #1

There was a subsequent letter from the Andersen folks saying that if Keystone denies a warranty claim and it is proven that the Andersen Hitch caused the problem they will pay for repairs. That letter came be found here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83697 Post #1)

The question is how much time and effort are you willing to expend should a frame problem occur?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 10:13 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I have a Curt hitch and it has performed well for many years. Only beef, it is pretty heavy, even breaking it down into the two pieces. The Anderson has always intrigued me particularly after talking to several people who have them. They love them. Getting ready to make the switch when MOC member RichardD ask, "if your fifth wheel gets rammed from the rear end at a high rate of speed which hitch is best going to keep the fifth wheel out of the cab of the truck and maybe the back of your head?" Convinced me to stay with the heavy Curt.
Old 01-16-2023, 11:16 AM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Agreed, how much time and energy are you willing to expend? All I know is my Demco isn't going to buckle. It will stay with the trailer!
Old 01-16-2023, 12:25 PM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If your rig GROSS weight is 16,000 lbs. Get at least a 20,000 lb hitch.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:09 PM   #15
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
What do you mean by conventional hitch? I used to have a gooseneck horse trailer with just a ball in the bed.
I have done some research on the Anderson hitch and I like it for the fact that it is light and I will be able to put it in and take it out.
Thank you for your help!
Lynne
Old 01-16-2023, 01:11 PM   #16
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
The Andersen works great. I had one for a few years and it always performed well. The issue you currently have is Keystone's and Lippert's frame warranty. The Andersen hitch, and any other hitch that requires a pin adapter, will void that warranty. You are better off using a hitch that has a conventional connection to the pin.

Which Curt hitch does the truck dealer have? Curt is a good brand and would serve you well as would all of the other mainstream hitches. I like the Demco Recon because it comes apart in 3 pieces making it easier to install and remove. Pick the one you like best.
I'm confused because the Anderson hitch is the only one the RV dealer has.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #17
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
I am also in the Demco Recon hitch group. Not too terribly expensive, comes apart 3 pieces, and each piece by itself is not all that heavy. All 3 pieces combined are probably not over 75 pounds. It works well.

If you are purchasing your camper from a dealership, the dealership can install the hitch for you. It's actually better if they do it, opposed to a car/truck dealership, because the hitch needs to be raised and fit for the camper height. That can only be done with the camper right there. Yes, you can do all the math, do all the measuring of heights before. But once the trailer is attached, your truck will have some squat. Depending on the actual truck suspension will determine how much. Adjustments need to be made based on the truck "squat" for bed rail clearance, and the truck and trailer running level.

Just my 2 cents here.

Good luck!
Thank you Dutchman, the RV dealer has the Anderson hitch.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:15 PM   #18
Lynneb
Established Member

M.O.C. #32175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
The announcement letter from Keystone about the Andersen hitch (and others) voiding the frame warranty is here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83693 Post #1

There was a subsequent letter from the Andersen folks saying that if Keystone denies a warranty claim and it is proven that the Andersen Hitch caused the problem they will pay for repairs. That letter came be found here:
https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=83697 Post #1)

The question is how much time and effort are you willing to expend should a frame problem occur?
Carl and Susan, thank you for the information from Montana and Anderson!
Old 01-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #19
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A person needs to buy a hitch that they are comfortable with taking in consideration price, ease of install and removal (weight), function, and maybe even reviews of current users. My following comment only addresses a product, not a so so warranty issue.

What I get weary of near every time we talk about hitches on the MOC is someone always digs out a whopping photo or two about an Andersen hitch fail and start ragging on it despite no personal experience with said hitch. If it's such a failure, why are there so few instances of an Andersen failure reported internet wide? Heck I can find failures of about any other hitch if I dig deep enough. It is not a flimsy hitch just because it doesn't look like the traditional base and pivot head of other brands. There is alot of strength in a pyramid setup as it's been used over time since at least the Egyptians. There's always alot of opinions on the MOC, but those opinions mostly come from full-timers / long-timers. I will accept that they have different standards as what they drag around the country is their only home. On the flip side ... there are tens of thousands of RVers that are not full timers. In our travels, we see a bunch of Andersens on about any brand of fiver so that 3-4 photos of a fails must be old news to many. Like I eluded to in another infamous hitch war on the MOC ... LCI has absorbed many many companies that build RV parts in the last 10 years. LCI acquired Curt Group a couple of years back. I wonder to what lengths LCI would react if Andersen wouldn't sell to the mighty LCI and LCI got really butt hurt over that issue ?????
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:41 PM   #20
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
I'm just going to keep my point of view regarding Anderson to myself going forward. Look it's just my opinion that a steel frame hitch is going to be stronger then a hollow aluminum tube framed hitch.

I just returned from my dealership looking to replace my heavy Demco with a 75lb Pull rite so I can use the bed of my truck.

Lets keep the blood pressures in check. Everyone here is entitled to their opinion. It's not personal.