Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
pound99
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1836
New Montana - questions

To New RV Friends,

We just purchased a new Montana and haven't stayed there yet. We are in the process of buying the necessary items. How comfortable are the beds (we have a 3400RL)? A "Memory Foam" mattress was suggested. Do you think this is necessary and what do all of you do for comfortable sleeping?

Also, what kind of sweeper do you suggest? We know it should be small but don't know which one to buy. Are there any other out of the ordninary items you would suggest which we may not think of?

Thanks for any suggestions. We really appreciate those of you who responded with the color scheme.

Sincerely,

Daryl & Carol Foster

pound99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We put a featherbed pillowtop on our mattress, although we didn't find it too uncomfortable anyway. We are used to sleeping on a 4" foam mattress when we are on the sailboat.
We have central vac but we purchased an Eureka upright with the pullout handle. It is yellow in colour.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:12 AM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
We put one of those egg carton thingys you can get at Wal Mart and it works good for us. We got a Dirt Devil Featherlight vacume cleaner and it does a good job for me. It is the same color as my carpet, spring green.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Daryl & Carol,
Welcome to the MOC! Good to see you posting.

We did not find the bed too uncomfortable for weekend travel but when spending a longer period of time we decided the bed could use a little positive reinforcement for comfort. We purchased a 3" Memory Foam mattress topper (found ours at Costco) and an extra thick (not quite pillow topped) mattress cover. What a difference!! Now we love the comfort of our Montana bed!

As for the vacumn...we had the dealer install a centra vac, which I wouldn't be without. Unlike Bill and Ann I do not carry any additional sweeper (except a broom for outside). I have found the central vac with attachments reaches and does everything I need.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:35 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Daryl and Carol,
Welcome and Congrats on your new RV. I use the egg shell foam under the sheets on both my hide a bed and in the bedroom. These have done very well for me. Had no problems with either location. I also have the central vac, but do have a Hoover smaller upright that is made for boats and rv's I had found at Costco a few years ago for my previous travel trailer. It is in the basement and have not had the need to use it, but I will say it did/does work very well if one is with out a central vac. Enjoy your new coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 06:35 PM   #6
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
The bed is okay for a night.... but we also bought one of those eggcrate toppers. It's a cheap fast fix.

If we were to fulltime it, then we'd dump the original mattress and replace it with a better quality one.

The hide-a-bed mattress is very uncomfortable and we have an eggcrate there also.
D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Congratulations on your new coach. Keep us posted. Happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:18 AM   #8
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on you new camper!

We bought a two inch memory foam mattress topper from BJ’s for about $80. Although the mattress that comes with the camper was ok, the foam topper made it incredibly comfortable. It is worth every penny.

We use a small Hoover vacuum with a beater bar for the camper. We were using it at the house to do quick clean ups. It’s a bagless unit and we like it because of it’s size and how well it cleans the carpet.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 04:24 AM   #9
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Hi and welcome to the forum. We too bought the memory foam mattress from Sam's club for $99 to put on our bed, nothing for the sofabed yet. The memory foam mattress is longer than your coach mattress so we pulled the mattress away from the wall and used the memory foam one to take up the difference and it makes it a little longer for us taller people. Well worth the price. If you do decide to get one, open it up in your house and let it "fluff" out before putting it in the trailer. It is really stinky and takes a good 48 hours to fluff up. We didn't do that and had to suffer with the fumes from that thing for the weekend.

We have the eureka bagless vacuum and now I wish I would have gotten the one with the cleaning wand for $59 instead of the one for $39. We have a little dirt devil that works for that but it would be nice to have an all in one.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 09:09 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pound99

To New RV Friends,

We just purchased a new Montana and haven't stayed there yet. We are in the process of buying the necessary items. How comfortable are the beds (we have a 3400RL)? A "Memory Foam" mattress was suggested. Do you think this is necessary and what do all of you do for comfortable sleeping?

Also, what kind of sweeper do you suggest? We know it should be small but don't know which one to buy. Are there any other out of the ordninary items you would suggest which we may not think of?

Thanks for any suggestions. We really appreciate those of you who responded with the color scheme.

Sincerely,

Daryl & Carol Foster
We purchase an Oreck cleaner. Found it to be better than any previous cleaner we had over the past 40 years.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote