Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #1
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Rear Rack for Generator ?

Wanted to find out the pros and cons of welding a rack to the rear of the frame and putting a small generator on it like a
Yamaha EF 3000 ISEB? The weight of the rack plus generator and a cover would be about 200#. We have a 3280 RL and thought this would be a better place than the truck bed or in the front compartment. Would not add as much weight to my pin weight and I could make up a short custom power cable to connect up the unit to the generator. Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 04:17 PM   #2
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Look forward to the responses here.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:34 AM   #3
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
What about theft? Can you lock the cover so no one steals it? That would be my major concern.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 04:47 AM   #4
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
I have seen a setup on the back of a Hitchhiker that was very well done. Had an aluminum diamond plate box that locked over the generator for travel and then the generator was locked down inside as well. They removed the box when they wanted to run the generator.
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 08:56 AM   #5
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
This and similar topics have been addressed before. The official Montana position is that the Montana is not designed to have anything hanging off the back, that includes a bicycle rack. They say it voids your frame warranty. That said, some people have mounted bike racks but I have never seen that anyone in this forum has mounted anything as heavy as a generator.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
I think you had better research this idea very carefully. Most people put their generator up front or on their truck. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:05 PM   #7
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by CmdrDewey

This and similar topics have been addressed before. The official Montana position is that the Montana is not designed to have anything hanging off the back, -------------------------------------

That's a good position liability wise. But at the same time I see more and more boats hooked up back there on all brands of fifth wheels. I wonder if any of them except the newer Montanas have a pair of 10" I beams as the basic frame elements.

One day at the Cabelas Store parking lot at MItchell, SD I Saw a new Montana with a platform on the back carring a Honda 500 cc ATV. That had to be at least 500# plus the weight of the carrying platform.

I also have seen a generator mounted on the back of various 5th wheels over the past year.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote