Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2018, 08:01 AM   #21
Graham
Established Member

M.O.C. #10287
I don't think we disagree on that much. The points you raise about the raised tires, warm grease, turning slowly and pumping slowly I agree with and because that's the way I do it, its probably why it's worked for me. On a topic like this it would be nice to have reps from Dexter monitoring the site to provide comments. Despite their expected bias they could at least reinforce the procedural comments that we've talked about and any other precautions that they have come up with based on their experiences with failures.....
Cheers

Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My position.
Those who have used the EZ Lube system successfully and never had a problem with grease on their brakes have every good reason to continue to do so.
Those who have used the EZ Lube system and did get grease on their brakes have every reason to never use them again.
And those who have never used the EZ lube system and yet recommend against them have no reason at all to tell others not to use them.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:18 AM   #23
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Back to ORIGINAL post. It’s a used unit. He’s had it this season. He has no idea what did it did not get done nor how it was done prior to him owning it

The smartest thing he could so is pull the drums off and clean lube etc. and see the brakes.

If not able to do himself take to a place that can and specify exactly how he wants it done

He has an “unknown condition” and I would have to rectify that issues immediately before I towed it further.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:28 AM   #24
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I love this site even if I don’t always agree. I like and use the ez-lube system and it works fine. Given that, for the OP, I agree this would be a good time to have the brakes and brgs checked by a certified tech.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:30 AM   #25
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Bill ... I've never used the EZ Lube because I've worked on more than enough greased up brake drums to not want to risk hooking up a grease gun to the zerk on the end of the axle. I think that qualifies for a recommendation.

Graham ... the EZ Lube God has smiled favorably on you and some others. We all will be biased our experiences.

My last point is ... apparently Dexter doesn't have 100% faith in their own invention as their EZ Lube wheel hub bearings come machine packed and the hub cavity is not full of grease ready for "correct" use straight from the factory. Dexter relies on the dealers service center or the individual owner to "roll the dice". That says it all for me.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 11:12 AM   #26
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Bill ... I've never used the EZ Lube because I've worked on more than enough greased up brake drums to not want to risk hooking up a grease gun to the zerk on the end of the axle. I think that qualifies for a recommendation.
And to me that says it all. You have obviously seen the result of EZ Lube gone bad. But you have no idea of how that person actually used it himself. I know some have mentioned using a pneumatic grease gun which would be an absolute no-no in my opinion. Likewise getting in a hurry and pump a hand pump fast to get done faster.

That is why I always include in my posts about EZ Lube to "fully understand the system and then decide for yourself."
Old 10-29-2018, 03:03 PM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I stated in a previous post on this tread that my 2011 3455sa has disc brakes. With that being said again, I can clearly see the back sides of the seals. I assume the seals for disc/drum are the same or similar. At least once a year (usually in the spring) I pump 30-40 pumps in each wheel. I have yet to see it ooze out the front bearing. Nor have I yet to see any grease get by the seals. Just sayin
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:24 PM   #28
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I stated in a previous post on this tread that my 2011 3455sa has disc brakes. With that being said again, I can clearly see the back sides of the seals. I assume the seals for disc/drum are the same or similar. At least once a year (usually in the spring) I pump 30-40 pumps in each wheel. I have yet to see it ooze out the front bearing. Nor have I yet to see any grease get by the seals. Just sayin
So, essentially, you have never applied new grease to the outer bearings. These need new grease just as much as the inner bearings. If you are using the zerks, you should at least pump grease the first time to get grease coming past the outer bearings.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:38 PM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree but have been reluctant to do so in fear of blowing it past the seals. Another reason I have not done so is I had the dealer repack them when I bought it, and watched them as they were doing it. We only tow, maybe 3-4k a year. If we were towing, say 20k a year I would be much more worried about it.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:04 PM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you look at the cross sectional diagram of the hub you can see that the grease goes first from the zerk to a small area behind the inner bearing before passing thru that bearing into the hub cavity and eventually out thru the outer bearing. So 30-40 pumps would far exceed that small volume meaning your grease did pass thru the bearing into the hub and not out past the seal. You were probably not far from seeing grease come out the front.
Grease passing thru the small openings in that bearing is why care must be taken to not overpressurize that area and push grease past the seal.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #31
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
A Dexter Axle company video ... nice and concise on how to remove bearings and inner seal and clean lube and install new inner seal....

Interesting they don’t use the zerk fitting on this EZ lube axle spindle but instead hand pack bearings.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I’ve used the EZ lube and so far so good, I did pull the hubs to double check because of the stated few issues. I feel confident at this point to continue using the EZ lube system. Will be lubing before out trip to Ca in December.

2018 Ram 3500 MegaCab 4x4 Aisin, 4:10 Gears
Titan 50 Gal Tank, Air Lift Wireless Bags
2017 3160 RL
DadsHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:37 AM   #33
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
My position.
Those who have used the EZ Lube system successfully and never had a problem with grease on their brakes have every good reason to continue to do so.
Those who have used the EZ Lube system and did get grease on their brakes have every reason to never use them again.
And those who have never used the EZ lube system and yet recommend against them have no reason at all to tell others not to use them.
Bwaaaaahahahahahaha! Well said!
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #34
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
I serviced my wheel bearing last weekend using the EZ Lube was a successful, took it easy pumping the grease. It took 2-1/2 tubes of grease and about an hour + to finish.

2017 3160 RL
Old 12-01-2018, 01:58 PM   #35
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
Forget Easylube; it was intended for boat trailer that submerge the wheels while launching a boat. Bearing buddyies are another method for boat trailers. For some reason RV marketing folks believes it is a good idea to put them on RV's. The fact is there is simply no substitute for cleaning, inspecting and greasing the bearing the old fashion way. If you lube your bearing with Easylube, you are at risk of premature bearing failure on a RV. Also if you have your bearings packed by a local shop assure that they will not cheat and use the Easylube zerks. My advise would be to replace those zerks with plugs so they will not be tempted to cheat.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:16 PM   #36
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I'm in the group against easylube, I like to put eyes on brakes, bearing and wiring. I've alway done my own, and it's not hard. I checked brakes on my 2018 after one years use and found a cut wire inside on brake drums. Would not have found if I had used easylube.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:39 PM   #37
DadsHemi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20472
We served the bearings last year when I had issues with the brakes, something here with wires in my right front brake assembly, it was all wrapped around and messed up.

2017 3160 RL
Old 12-02-2018, 10:08 AM   #38
dke1955
Established Member

M.O.C. #20643
saving this thread!

Obviously this is a hot topic of varying opinions BUT I just wanted to add I truly appreciate the comments. Lots of good information mixed with the passion in your replies. I have a huge file of threads (as I am sure each of you do), which contain info. I WILL need at some time in the future....this one has been added to the list. Each of us has to chose how he/she will maintain his/her coach, threads like this show all sides of an issue. Your comments have helped me decide what I am doing is best for me. Thanks everyone.
dke1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #39
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Those are Dexter EZ Lube axles and are a controversial subject to say the least. Some say never use those zerks or you will have grease soaked brakes. Others say when done properly they work exactly as deigned. Educate yourself about them until you fully understand how they work and then decide for yourself. Key is pumping grease slowly while continuously turning the wheel.

Why people don't think the ones making these don't know what they're talking about is beyond me, but whichever way floats your boat will work. I do what Dexter says to do.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #40
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
I don’t use it because it’s a flawed design... and without removing the hubs at least once a year how could you possibly know the condition of the races, bearings, brake shoes, magnet, and attaching hardware? Quite simply and without exception...You Can’t.

Tags
lune, wheels