Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
sbigham3a@gmail.com

M.O.C. #28092
Heaters instead of winterizing?

I just purchased a 2018 Montana 3730FL. Someone told me that running space heaters inside your coach will also heat the floor enough to keep pipes from freezing.

Didn't sound right to me, but want to ask?

Thanks,

Scot

sbigham3a@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Scot,

First, welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of variables with freezing pipes. You can certainly use heaters if you have them set fairly high and include one in the basement. You can winterize in 20 minutes or so - that is the option I would choose unless it was for a very short period. As an AZ resident, I don't do anything unless we have forecast temps below 28 for an extended time.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:57 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
If you put heaters in your unit remember heat rises. Your pipes are under the floor, heat won't get to them unless you put a heater in the belly of the unit. Even if the power for your heaters is very reliable power outages still happen and you may not be there to know it. I winterize by blowing out the lines with air. Like AZ Traveler said it only takes a few minutes. The few minutes you spend winterizing is less than the time it will take to repair leaks from frozen lines.
Old 02-04-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Don’t sound right to me either unless it doesn’t get very cold where you live.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:51 AM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you run your furnace and tank heaters and put 75W 120vac lead acid battery heaters (or incandescent light bulbs) in your battery compartment and basement.... YES.

Just running electric space heaters does not put heat into your underbelly or the basement.
Pictures are a comparison of both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temperature underbelly running furnace.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	8391   Click image for larger version

Name:	Temperature underbelly electric heaters.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	8392  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! I wouldn't do it for the reasons mentioned above.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #7
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Welcome to the forums.

If you live in a freeze state zone and are not planning on using your camper but storing it for a while, I strongly encourage you to winterize it. Depending on electric heaters is risky, especially if temps are already freezing or below. At any time, you could loose power. It takes only a short time for things to start freezing up. And then you are toast.

It take 2 - 3 gallons of RV antifreeze to run through all your water lines, and it takes just a few minutes to dump all your holding tanks and drain your water heater. The RV antifreeze costs between $2.00 - $5.00 a gallon, depending on where you purchase it. At the very, very most, it will cost you $15. That is by far a much better insurance than running the risk of lines freezing and breaking and then costing hundreds or even thousands of dollars to fix and repair.

In an RV, you just don't crawl under and run a new line. You have to tear 3/4's of the trailer apart to get to the lines to replace them.

Do the RV antifreeze. It takes just a few minutes, and you are better protected. In the spring, all you do in run fresh water through the lines and flush out the antifreeze.

It's your best protection.

--- or ---

Blow out the lines with an air compressor. Lots of YouTube videos explaining how to do this. No antifreeze at all, no water in the lines. No problem with anything freezing.

Many blow and do not use Antifreeze. Your choice. Just don't depend upon electric heat. The cost of the used electricity will far exceed the cost of the antifreeze.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space heater, winterize